The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 19
Re: OK. I am starting a new thread on "back in the day" stories
Posted by: carolv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 11:22AM

my favorite dish at the West Indies Tavern was their seafood pot pie-big enough for two people

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 21, 2008 05:16PM

I used to enjoy sitting in the departure area section that had an open roof while waiting to board our flight home.We could catch some last minute sun before leaving.A friend of mine once fell asleep in that area and missed his flight back to JFK.Anyone else remember back in the 70's & early 80's the steel bands that played island music on the walkway to immigration.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.62-155.caribserve.net)
Date: June 21, 2008 05:23PM

yes! it even went up to the late 80's early 90's... It was a great way to be greeted! I also remember a steelband in 1990 playing at the sunset beach bar, and everytime the 747 Air france was landing they were playing "La Marseillaise" (French National Anthem) on the steel drums. It was very unique.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: June 21, 2008 06:02PM

Can someone tell me if they remember near the Saffire around late 70's & early 80's what was built behind the wall that had blue diamonnd shaped stones in the concrete wall.The wall followed the road many yards towards the intersection.I haven't seen that wall for many yrs.

Posted by: carolv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 21, 2008 07:40PM

I Remember sitting in that open area having the last rum punch and cigarette before boarding

Posted by: leenms (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 22, 2008 12:21PM

This all brings back my memories of my very first trip in the early 80's. I was with 3 Friends and we were maybe 23. I think we were part of a package tour because I remember going to an orientation where the woman told us there was virtually no crime and we could walk anywhere, anytime, which we did. We spent many nights at Studio 7, had dinner at the West Indian Tavern but the one thing I remember that hasn't been mentioned was a restaurant which I believe was named Murphy's. It was inland somewhere. I remember driving on dark roads and finally finding it. We went in and it was empty but the woman told us "No problem, she will wake Murphy up and he will make us dinner" He finally came downstairs and It was fantastic. I have never heard of the restaurant since and have no idea what became of it.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 22, 2008 02:04PM

I don't suppose there's any chance you might be referring to the original Marks Place? Nah - that would be too easy, I'm sure, but it was a great little place in the middle of nothing way back then, and how we ever found it the first trip there, I'm thinking 1983-1985, is a major miracle. But then that was pretty much the same story with Bertines when they first opened. How did we ever get around and find all those really neat island places.

Never heard of a Murphey's Place, but that sure isn't to say there wasn't one since there have been so many metamorphises over all these years.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Date: June 22, 2008 08:28PM

Back in those Days the Cul de Sac rd was just a dirt path down to Pinel until LaHabitation needed their utilities brought in. around 85/86.After the power & water lines were installed the rd was paved past Mark's to the entrance rd for the hotel. Mark's Place was on the dirt Cul de Sac rd back in the early 80's.I'm pretty sure he didn't live in the restaurant in those DAYS.

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2008 06:20PM

is there a restaurant where the old "mark's place" was today?

Date: June 23, 2008 08:14PM

No his old restaurant which was destroyed by the hurrician has been rebuilt into a private home.Mark's Place served good lunchs & dinners in those DAYS and I recall seeing one or two of the waitresses a few yrs ago still working for him at the new location.

Date: June 23, 2008 08:23PM

I'm happy that one of our favorite restaurants the MINI CLUB is still operating from the DAYS.And its still owned and managed by the same person.What other places are still open with the same owners/manager providing good food and atmosphere?We just lost the airport restaurant from the DAYS.How many are left?

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 06:53AM

Bob,

Antoines in Philipsberg has been around forever. When we first started going there in the late 70's early 80's, it was still owned by the Captain and Madame who, upon their retirement, ultimately sold it to Jean Pierre (their original head waiter) and Pierre and to this day it still operates on Front St. but thanks to one of many storms to hit the area, they did relocate a little further down the street from their original location.

Believe it or not, I think there are quite a few places from 'the day' still around although I'm not so sure about original management. Don't forget, my friend, many of the folks we knew back in the day are retiring or getting ready to, right along with us!!

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2008 09:24AM

did you know that Daniel the owner of Mr. Busby's and Daniel's by the Sea is the son of the original owners of Antoine's?

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 06:20PM

Barbara,

I had no idea....

Would you believe we've never been to Daniel's? Maybe November?

Respectfully,

pat

Date: June 24, 2008 09:57PM

Pat, I just remember MARK'S PLACE is still operating and with the same management.I agree many are at retirement age but like so many of us we have to continue working because of circumstances that couldn't be controlled.All I need is a winning MEGA Lottery ticket for a couple of millions.HaHa

Pages: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 19

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |