- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: more back in the day photos
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2008 09:01AM

I am still not sure (GRRRR....) because this pond (surounded in yellow and pointed by the red arrow would be in the wrong location, I mean right directly on Guana instead of being on Gibbs...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2008 09:46AM

oh oh
now that makes it more complicate again.
I have a friend here who is taking the picture around to some of the old timers who used to raise goats and cattle in those hills..whichever hills they might be..
to see if they can figure out where this darn photo is from.
I really do believe it is from sxm because as you said, P, I can not believe an author with such good credentials would slip in a fake picture from somewhere else..

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2008 10:41AM

No Philippe..that is not the pond I was thinking of...look below the yellow circle and you will see tributaries that are lighter green. They look like roads but could very well be the pond and streams leading down to the Atlantic. They match the google earth photo and it's possible that they look green because of the cloud cover or typical green algae that forms on these ponds to give them a greenish hue.

And if you look at the way the coastal land juts out at certain points along the water line, it looks exactly like the google earth photo of today. I am convinced.... smiling smiley

And after looking at it yet again, the rising land (mountains) in the far end (top right) match the mountains on the google earth photo as well.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2008 10:45AM by John.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2008 10:45AM

Do I see a road directly on top of the hills and down the left side. Plus open farm land in the rear towards the top of the other hill.

Date: September 28, 2008 01:09PM

Then I have to go in that area (not too far fom where I am now...LOL) and check on my own because I am still not convinced, later this afternoon if I have some time and if those 150 + people don't leave the party too late....sad smiley Yeah, I know... It's sunday, it's my day off but I am working...confused smileyeye rolling smileyangry smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2008 01:10PM by Tabba Khady.

Date: September 28, 2008 02:57PM

Keep us informed Philippe.... I would do it but I'm not as close as you.... I'm maybe 4.5 hours away give or take the traffic conditions at the time... smiling smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: September 28, 2008 05:40PM

Hey Vicky, Maybe this Dec we'll have to see for ourselves too. HaHa

Date: September 28, 2008 06:25PM

Sounds like a plan! grinning smiley

Though I hope you know where Guana Bay is.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: Rastaman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2008 09:34PM

You found my garden! I guess I will have to move it.

Posted by: enzolarosa (78.15.19.---)
Date: September 29, 2008 02:37AM

I am inclined to think that this is not sxm. However, I would not think about Guana bay, but rather the area between Anse Marcel and Orient, before the dump.

Date: September 29, 2008 10:02AM

Enzolarosa,I agree in part. I feel it is along the western side facing Anguilla looking north.It sure appears to me that bay is Anse Marcel........Vicky, Believe it or not I've never explored that area. This trip looks like I'll have to check it out. I've seen the area from offshore on trips to St. Barths and when the plane to JFK used to circle left around the island heading north to N.Y.

Date: September 29, 2008 02:20PM

another guess. from an old time local. what do you guys think?

"that is the cay bay stretch, look at the far end, towards 11 o clock, you will see the pelican area, come back up, it seems this was shot from top of cay hill pass the water tanks up there some where"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2008 02:24PM by Barbara1.

Date: September 29, 2008 03:03PM

Ummmm... This is a very credible one B. but Cay Bay or Cay bay?( where now is SHELL and TEXACO etc...)
I went today to Tamarin Hill, the hill above Gibbs bay, The top of Dawn beach Mountain, and at every single location I tried to get an angle similar to the one in the picture to see if Vicky guess was the good one. At no point I could match the backround mountain shape to the one in the picture and Guanna Bay is VERY "curvy" the matter of fact and relatively short, much shorter than what we see in the pic. I thought it could be a problem of angle or perspective, but with all my effort I couldn't match it. The other think which is totally inexistant on Guana Mountain is the excavation...
The idea that it is cay bay or cole bay is not a bad one...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 29, 2008 03:56PM

Oh well... thanks Philippe for the effort. I hope you had a nice ride anyway... smiling smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: September 29, 2008 04:31PM

yea, P, but then my other friend said..about the cay bay suggestion.. that it is not because....
"you are missing the flat lands in front of Billy Folly, but I had to look a few times, cause the hills look really similar and there is a similar cut in the hill, but the foreground is not the same."

Man, I have half the island working on this one.

Pages: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |