The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: more back in the day photos
Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 24, 2008 07:40PM

Okay, I'm absolutely horrible at this stuff but I'm inclined to agree with Kim that this pictures reminds me very much of a sundowner we enjoyed one evening while playing with the labs on the rear lawn of Bertines up in the LaSavanne hills back in the mid 80's. It was so green and lush and the sunsets from that area were spectacular and this does look very reminiscent of that area.

So bottom line, I don't know where it is, my I'm loving the memories regardless.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2008 08:02AM

I thought doing THAT to your pic >grinning smiley< thinking that maybe it was developped and printed in reverse, and that it could be view from Pic Paradis toward Orient Bay, so it would explain the excavation again but I guess it didn't helped and just add a little bit more confusion ...grinning smileyhot smiley Don't you think?

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 25, 2008 04:07PM

Barbara, I think we need a little help for that one.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2008 06:14PM

bob, I don't know either.
it's from a book on st. maarten and all it says is "in the hills"
I am as confused as all of you
B

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: September 27, 2008 10:00AM

some of my island friends are quesitoning whether or not this is really sxm. wonder if the author snuck in a generic pciture and called it sxm?
one of my friends said:
Looks like that was taken from the road up on Pic Paradise, the area that now is totally over grown above, . But I have my doubts... something is not right about it... I wonder if that is really on st. Maarten. There is a fence in the foreground......
another one said:
Check the author, we have no straight beaches, at watersend with hills. All our beaches are bays. The only long straight one is long bay, and that is adjacent to low lands, not hills.

so????
the rest of the pics are good ones of sxm. and he did it in connection with the Lt governor's office and the sxm tourist bureau. the book is old but I cannot find a publishing date
the author is Hans Hannau who was a respected travel writer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2008 10:01AM by Barbara1.

Date: September 27, 2008 10:08AM

btw, I found an obituary of the author of the book, Hans Hannau.
interesting character

Published on: 5/24/2001 Last Visited: 5/24/2001

Father James P. Murphy , former pastor of St. Patrick Church on Miami Beach , remembers Hans Hannau as a true gentleman and an amazing Roman Catholic..

The 96-year-old Austrian emigre , a resident of Miami Beach and active member of St. Patrick since 1940 , died May 8. He was the author of more than 60 photographic travel books who received myriad honors from the Austrian government and had a personal acquaintance with both King George VI and Eleanor Roosevelt.

A painter and opera lover who had earned a law degree from the University of Vienna , Hannau worked as Austria's police commissioner until the Nazis invaded in 1938.Since his primary responsibility had been to prosecute members of the Nazi party , he was arrested and sent to the Buchenwald concentration camp.After his release in 1939 , he fled to the United States with his wife , Ilse.
When the United States entered World War II , Hannau once again was arrested for suspicion of Nazi ties.With the help of Msgr.William Barry , then pastor of St. Patrick , Hannau was able to persuade George Smathers , then assistant U.S. attorney in Miami and eventually a Florida senator , that he was not a Nazi spy.

His belief in God and trust in God is what sustained him all through his life , said Father Murphy , adding that Hannau's 67-year marriage to Ilse was one of the greatest love stories of the century..

They met at a dance in Austria , when Ilse was a young girl.She had decided that the first person to kiss her at that dance was going to be her husband.

Hannau , dressed in his military uniform , invited her to dance , the lights went out , he planted a kiss on her cheek and the tears went down her eyes , Father Murphy recalled.

If you look for a gentleman , then Hans was a gentleman.I think we have lost that kind of a person in society today , added Father Murphy , who celebrated the Mass of Christian Burial for Hannau at St. Patrick.

Hannau is survived by his wife Ilse , sons George of New York and Michael of Miami Beach , six grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

Burial was in Our Lady of Mercy Cemetery , Miami.

isn't that interesting?
and also I found the book was published in 1967.

and here is a picture from the book of you all know where from those days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2008 11:10AM by Barbara1.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: September 27, 2008 04:10PM

There is still one thing I will try to verify and Bob was the fisrt one to suggest it may be it, it's about little key.... Originally i said that it were no pond alongside of little key and never been any, but I have to verify that, because when I look at a map and the topography of that shore it look alike what is in the picture... Bob may be right, since It could have been taken from a path which is going from Anse Marcel to Little key over the mountain. I hike that path many many years ago, and the last time we tried to do it we were attacked by... bees , so we turned around. I am still intrigued, and even if I did doubted about the certaincy of being sxm, I am confused why an author like him, with his love of photography would have included a picture which is not sxm in his book and label it as sxm.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2008 06:44PM

OK...I just did the google earth thing and from what I can see, it is an exact match to the land just before Guana Bay and then Guana Bay itself in the distance as long as the photo stays the same as the original that was posted. When I post a jpg of the google earth shot, then you will see what I mean.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: September 27, 2008 06:58PM

See if you can see what I see when comparing the 2, especially the area as pointed to by the left arrow.

In fact, I think you can even see the pond in the old photo but because it's green, it blends in with the foliage. If you look carefully, you can see the streams around it leading down to the Atlantic.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2008 07:05PM by John.

Date: September 27, 2008 07:11PM

here are the 2 together
you might be right, vicki

Date: September 27, 2008 07:17PM

And here's another view with an arrow showing where maybe the photographer stood.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: September 27, 2008 07:36PM

it's the only stretch of the coastline that looks anything like that

Date: September 27, 2008 07:45PM

I guess you can see that I'm really busy on a Saturday night!!!grinning smiley Tough getting old...

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: September 27, 2008 07:58PM

Date: September 27, 2008 08:20PM

It's either this or playing scrabble on pogo... at least this is challenging....grinning smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Pages: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |