The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Help-medical advice needed
Posted by: Sue (72.10.105.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 07:43AM

Hopefully, my husband and I are coming to the island next week. Right now he's in the hospital with atrial fibulation. The doctors are working to get his heart rhythm regular. He's going to start taking cumadin to thin his blood, so he will need to have bloodwork done. Is there anyone with experience that could give me a name of a clinic or doctor (cardiologist) that we can contact to have this work done. Since we stay at the Towers, we'd prefer to find someone in the Maho/Simpson Bar area. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help-medical advice needed
Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 08:18AM

You will be staying very close to the St. Maarten Medical college/Center. You can see it from the Towers.good luck. 8 days till SXM

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.52.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2009 08:29AM

Hey!

St. Maarten Medical Center could provide a cardiologist reference.

In the meantime it might be prudent to enroll in this insurance plan:

[www.skymed.com]

A first response to a serious medical problem may not be as beneficial as you would get in a major city.

Most aircraft carry defibrillators now, a great tool.

I believe it takes a while to find the right settings under tests to fine tune a cardiac pacemaker if that is in your treatment plan.

It might be a plan also to map a route to the St. Maarten Medical Center or the emergency room at the Marigot hospital from where you are staying. If problems arise you will know the way. Sometimes it's quicker to go on your own rather than wait for emergency services.

Good luck !

Denis

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: February 04, 2009 08:43AM

AUC is a school - not a hospital, no treatment available.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 08:57AM

there are no cardiologists on the Dutch side. There is one on the French side. The office is in Bellevue at the entrance to Marigot in the complex of buildings on the left hand side opposite Home n Tools. His name is Dr. Verdier and his phone is 590-29-38-45
the medical school cannot treat.
there is an excellent internist at the medical center on the Dutch side. His name is Dr. Jolles.
he can refer you for blood work and refer you to the French side if needed.
There is also a doctor's office in the maho area next to Platinum Room near La Rosa restaurant.
In Cole Bay in the complex where the Friendly Drugstore is, on the road to Marigot ,there is a doctors office.
Dr. van Osch
he is a family doctor who can refer you for blood work also and whatever else you might need.
Good luck!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2009 09:17AM by Barbara1.

Posted by: Sue (72.10.105.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:25AM

Thank you all for your help. I knew I could count on you to get me the information I needed. And I will sign up with skymed.(I pray we won't need it!!!)

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 12:21PM

Barbara,
I've had 2 experiences with Dr. Van Osch and he is GREAT!! And a hottie!winking smiley

smileys with beer Contessa

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 02:17PM

yea, but he's taken LOL

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 03:49PM

winking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:48AM

Ditto. I go to the museum and admire the paintings but don't buy them!!winking smiley

smileys with beer Contessa

vet needed
Posted by: marie roth (---.browndognetworks.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 11:55PM

I will be on the island next month & need the name of a good vet for our 2 dogs...please help.

Re: vet needed
Posted by: islandbound (200.7.52.---)
Date: February 08, 2009 07:27AM

We use Dr Garry Swanston at St Maarten Veterinary Clinic, Bruwers Road, Cay Hill (tel: 599-542-0111) for our cat. Good service & very nice people.

Information
Posted by: Juan Buzzelle (---.codetel.net.do)
Date: February 08, 2009 03:04PM

I need information on how the medical and life insurance on the island of St. Maarten. My mother died a couple of years ago on the island and would like to know if the insurance was covering the medical expenses and postage. This information is urgent.

Posted by: Clem (200.7.63.---)
Date: February 09, 2009 01:36AM

Denis, we did learn something here with Paulette's broken knee incident. You should let the ambulance take you to the hospital. They do not have triage here, which you just sit in the waiting room and are taken in in the order you came in the door. We waited 3 hours and she was in alot of pain. By ambulance, you are brought right in and taken care of. There are alot of ambulances on the French side. Most are parked at the hospital. Clem

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |