The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

New to SXM - please advise!
Posted by: paulad (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 07:21PM

Hello All -

We will be visiting SXM for the first time next month. We have always gone to Aruba and love it - can't beat the weather and besides the horrific Natalee Holloway incident the island is fairly safe -thought we'd try a change. I hoped someone would kindly respond to the below questions.

Cell phones - I have international roaming on my Verizon phone - however, the coverage listed on Verizon's website lists only the Dutch areas. The Verizon rep could not confirm coverage on the French side - specifically the Orient Beach area. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of using their Verizon phone around Orient Beach?

We are staying on the North-West end of Orient Beach in a condo - any comments about the area - beaches - safety?

Best place for groceries?

Heard about Dengue Fever - just keep the bug spray going? Throughout the day as well as the night?

Safety in general - safe to drive to Grand Case for dinner - just be aware when going out to the car? Is there more crime in any particular part of the Island?

Thank you in advance for responses - sorry for the overload of questions!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to SXM - please advise!
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:49PM

I can only answer for the Verizon and what I found is that I had absolutely no signal sitting on Friars Bay Beach which is on the French side and to the west of Orient. I definitely had coverage on the Dutch side where we stayed. If you want to be assured of phone coverage, you should contact Sharron who rents phones on the island for $30 for the week and that includes about 10 or 15 minutes of phone time. You can also buy more time before picking up the phone. That way you are assured that you will have service while on Orient. Her location is at the Royal Palm Resort near the airport so you can pick up the phone on the way to your place and then drop it off when you are departing. Her rates are VERY reasonable and it is very easy to deal with her.

Her website allows you to reserve the phone and about 1 week before you leave to go to the island, she will e-mail you what your phone number will be so you can tell your friends and family.

If you are interested in her services, you can go to her website:

[www.queenofsxm.com]

As far as all your other questions, we stay on the Dutch side and cannot help you.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2009 07:39AM

Cell phones issues are anoying on this island, since there is two countries and two licenses regulation... I take for example, I have "Orange" service which is one of the largest cell phone service provider in the world, but since it has a French side license, they cannot cover the Dutch side... I am in Oyster Pond and I am not kidding when I say that once I pass the border toward philipsburg and just pass "Casablanca" building, I loose the signal!!!! angry smiley... I think the only provider who cover the whole island is Chippie since they have a dutch telecom license and a French telecom license... Don't you think it is ridiculous for a small territory like that? I remember that years ago we didn't had this problem, when of couse ECC was the only provider (and I hate to compliment ECC...at leat the company's owner at that time thumbs downconfused smiley)

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: CarolynandWalt (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 09:26AM

If you plan use your Verizon phone, please be aware that they charge $1.99 per minute for all calls.incoming and outgoing. Also, contrary to their instructions, to call the US from SXM, dial as you would at home. To call the Dutch side, dial 011-599... as you would if you were calling SXM from home. This procedure changed about a year or so ago. I kept getting messages that this call cannot go through as dialed. Verizon reps have been clueless when I have talked to them.

We now rent from www.queenofsxm.com and have been very, very happy. If you find you need more time, just call the office and they will add it within a few minutes. No problems. Calls to the US are $0.32 per minute.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2009 09:32AM

yes, I recommend the Queen too
[www.queenofsxm.com]

much cheaper and good service.

dengue currently is on the decline..just be careful. the mosquito bearing dengue only bites during the day and at twilight, not at night.
best place for groceries is on the Dutch side..Le grand marche on the road to Marigot or outside Philipsburg.

[www.legrandmarche.net]

there are several smaller grocery stores all over including one in Orient Village.
yes,safe to drive to grand case at night.
just watch and be careful.do not leave any valuables ever in your car.
do not carry a lot of cash or wear a lot of jewelery.
Enjoy!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2009 09:33AM by Barbara1.

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:12PM

I don't know much about purchasing groceries because we do not cook while on vacation. But in Grand Case try LeBounty for Deli & desert items.Grand Case restaurants are usually empty by 9:30PM in recent yrs and you shouldn't have trouble with reservations.Becarefull of the crazy drivers on SXM. They will pass cars, cut in front of your car traveling up hills without knowing if a vehicle is coming the opposite direction. The scooters are the worse offenders.SXM has terrible traffic congestion in recent yrs too.The beaches & restaurants are great. In addition the weather is wonderful this time of the yr. Enjoy.

Posted by: paulad (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 09:28PM

Thank you everyone!!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |