The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Crime - Worried with a family
Posted by: Ken (38.98.137.---)
Date: October 06, 2008 01:54PM

Hello all,

I will be visiting the island with my wife and 3 three year old in November. I've visited the island with just my wife, but this will be the first time we will come with a youngster.

I use this forum to get updated with island news, and it appears crime is a major concern.

Does anyone know if these criminals target families? And if so, what areas (we are usually back at the resort by dark) to avoid?

In addition, we will be bringing a car seat for my daughter, but I'm afraid it will get stolen (I recall a post about a visitor who had their car seat stolen). Are there any family traveling veterans of Saint Maarten with some useful tips?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crime - Worried with a family
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.135.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 03:36PM

Hey!

My advice is not popular but it works for me.

We rent a 5 door Charade, shabby, and let the garbage accumulate in the back seat etc. We never lock it and usually leave the windows cracked when we're away from the car at the beach or shopping. We never leave anything in it. Our rental place provides a "club" for the steering wheel...we never use it.

There is an area by the hatchback where you could leave the car seat. I doubt it will get stolen but if you're concerned then carry it with you; leave it at the counter when you shop.

Most of the recent crime has been at night with a few problems in the daytime in remote spots. It can happen to anyone but it won't stop us from going.

To date I haven't heard of any crime involving tourists with small children in tow.

A rule of thumb..if a beach or trail looks deserted go elsewhere, day or night. Go where the crowds are and you'll be safe.

Enjoy...

Denis

Posted by: Ken (38.98.137.---)
Date: October 06, 2008 03:48PM

Thx for the advice Denis.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2008 03:52PM

I've never heard of crime with small children in tow either.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: .Bruce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 06, 2008 08:30PM

which resort are you staying at .. My wife was recently attacked in our villa on our honeymoon and i doubt a child would not have made a difference in the robbers decision to attack my wife ..But if you are staying at a resort with good security i would go and have a great time ..

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 06, 2008 09:59PM

Besides robberies be aware that SXM has a huge CC fraud problem in recent yrs.Last Feb our CC info was somehow given to a group from S. America (3 men and 1 woman)criminals who made a Citi Bank CC with our name & number.Remember to check your home phone messages frequently to check if your CC company called about unusual charging.Our card was used only once to purchase AA tickets 10 months before our trip.Plus they waited several days into our trip to start using the card.Also never leave anything in your rental car or in the trunk and keep locked while its parked.Always turn on the alarm because they also steal spare tires & other parts.Have a great trip.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 08:03AM

BobP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Besides robberies be aware that SXM has a huge CC
> fraud problem in recent yrs.Last Feb our CC info
> was somehow given to a group from S. America (3
> men and 1 woman)criminals who made a Citi Bank CC
> with our name & number.Remember to check your home
> phone messages frequently to check if your CC
> company called about unusual charging.Our card was
> used only once to purchase AA tickets 10 months
> before our trip.Plus they waited several days into
> our trip to start using the card.Also never leave
> anything in your rental car or in the trunk and
> keep locked while its parked.Always turn on the
> alarm because they also steal spare tires & other
> parts.Have a great trip.

sO IF YOU only used your creditcard once to make an AA ticket purchase wouldnt that mean the crime was committed by an AA employee or a citicard employee? How would that have to do with island crime if the card wasnt ever used there on the island or Am I missing something here?
I agree tho don'tleave anything in the car. Not in the car itself, locked in the boot or in the glovebox as those cars can be opened almost as easy as your kitchen cabinets by someone who wants to get into them.

Posted by: couplefrommass (97.95.180.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 09:20AM

I dont think crime should be a deterent .I would find it hard traveling anywhere with a child that young

Posted by: LennynRose (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2008 06:56PM

For anyone who cares...

PayPal now offers one time use credit cards. Actually, it is a credit card number with all the information such as name, number, expiration, and the security code. They do not actually send a physical card.

Once you have a PayPal account, you are able to to get your one time use credit card. You can have multiple cards at any time.

Since PayPal has come out with this, this is the only way that I will buy something on-line.

Good, bad, or indifferent, it works for me. When I down loaded the application, it left a "P" for a PayPal link on my Internet browser(Explorer) which makes it very easy to use. I also use the one time use credit card for some telephone purchases.

Take a look at their site and see if it works for you.

PS: Do you think they would automatically give me one with a $100.00 balance for the plug? LOL

Lenny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 06:59PM by LennynRose.

Posted by: OtherHalfa (12.16.111.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 10:28PM

One CC theft was conducted by an employee at Club Orient - a bartender. We thought he was among the good guys. We didn't get ripped off, but he and two accomplishes led to an investigation. He is now doing time.

So, it can be done by anyone, anywhere.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |