The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

grinning smileyTrip Report - sort of
Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 02:02PM

Not so much a trip report as an excuse to post some pictures. We didn’t do much since the purpose of the trip was to get settled in our new home and get “stuff” done. We were fairly successful with that. Thanks to those who provided shopping help, we were able to find a dining table. Still working on the window treatments.

We flew Continental EWR direct to SXM with no issues after a park and fly overnight at the Best Western. A great deal. We packed 3 checked bags each with 50# of stuff and gladly paid $25 to ship 150# of stuff to the island. Flights coming and going were uneventful, as was immigration and customs.

We rented a car as always from Alain Arnell at AAA. We turned it in a week early since we purchased a car. No issues at all and we thank Alain for all the great service he’s provided over the years. We will continue to rent from him for friends and family when they start arriving!

Weather was hot and humid. Luckily, most days there was a breeze that made leaving the windows open instead of using AC an option. So long as you were not doing anything strenuous, like moping the floor. We had one total wash out day, the Sunday after our arrival. We spent the day grocery shopping and a whirlwind afternoon in Ace. I also am learning all about Navy showers!

We mostly ate at home – I cooked my first meal on the island! Our only meals out were at Buccaneer Beach Bar (burger, sliced steak, yellow fin tuna, pizza – all wonderful) and Dingy Dock (Bill had ribs and I had a salmon special that was wonderful). None of meals was more than $20pp, several drinks included.

We also enjoyed croissants and or baguettes from La Sucriere, L’Orientique, Serafinas in Marigot and the Cupecoy Market. The Market is new and very nice. They serve breakfast and lunch and have a cute convenience store there. Convenience store prices, but excellent quality. We also got a sandwich to go for the plane ride home and it was quite nice. And since it’s right outside our door – convenient! I would walk over in the am for our paper and daily baguette. Very nice.

We spent 3 partial days on Orient where the sun was shining and the water was wonderful! Also an afternoon on Baie Rouge, where we were the only occupants! A few hours here and there on our home beach at Cupecoy were wonderful, but sometimes the wave action was a little scary!

Entertainment consisted of again stalking Gianfranco and Max. We managed to catch them four times. Twice at BBB and twice at Red Piano. As of this past Saturday, they are also playing at the beach bar at Pelican and they expected to be back at Lady C either this Wednesday or next.

We also managed to do the Celine Pub Crawl. It was a wild and crazy evening – just like last time!

Our friend Curtis took us out a couple of times and we partied again at Soggy Dollar – huge crowd, and new for us was The Alley Hangout. If you want to see some great dancing, this is the place to go. We caught Ronny Santana at Pineapple Pete’s one evening also. Lots of jamming with other musicians including Max and the incredible harmonica player from the French side. Wish I could remember his name.

Again, a wonderful visit to our special place. Next time, it will not be a visit! And that happens in about 27 days!

Pictures:

General:

[picasaweb.google.com]#

Pub Crawl:

[picasaweb.google.com]#

We are truly blessed!

Elaine

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: grinning smileyTrip Report - sort of
Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 03:54PM

Elaine, I really enjoyed your report and the pictures! Thank you for sharing.

We have never eaten at BBB. Is all of the food cooked on the open grills there? What do they serve with the meals (veggies, etc.)? I love grilled tuna, as long as it's VERY rare!!

Date: October 07, 2008 04:19PM

Bill likes his tuna rare also and they will cook it that way for you.

They are served either on a roll with lettuce and tomatoe and FF's, or on a caesar salad. All cooked on the grill. Well, except for the pizza. There's an oven for that!

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 04:59PM

Thanks! We stay at LaVista so that would be a good choice on one of those nights when we don't feel like getting in the car, but don't want to stay in either.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 05:51PM

Elaine,

Thanks for sharing your words and your pictures. Beautiful, all!!

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 07, 2008 06:14PM

greta pictures Elaine. and sounds like a great trip. besides all the partying, did you get all your chores done too.?
did you ever contact that girl about residency papers?
I told her you were going to call

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: couplefrommass (97.95.180.---)
Date: October 07, 2008 06:33PM

Great pictures fine looking woman Im envious we would love to live there

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2008 07:58PM

Thanks for taking time to post. Loved your pictures.

Date: October 08, 2008 09:05AM

Barbara -

Got done more than I expected to! As you know, we had some good luck with some things.

We were unable to contact anyone prior to leaving. Both phone numbers were never answered after about 5 tries. Bill finally got someone to answer yesterday, don't believe it was your contact tho. Should we try to get her again?

Appreciate all your help!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2008 09:13AM

yes, try her.. she is the one who handles the residency papers there.
ask for Martina

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: October 08, 2008 09:40AM

Thanks,

Will do!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |