The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Making Friends at SXM
Posted by: Marcia Motta (---.caribserve.net)
Date: December 25, 2012 11:36PM

Hi, my name is Marcia and I just got to the island. My husband is a pilot and he has been coming here for the past 20 something years. I'm Brazilian and we are a very friendly people, but I gotta confess it has not been so easy for me to make friends here. I came here because I was mugged in Brazil and badly injured during the assault, it was a miracle the guy didn't pull the trigger and my husband decided it was time for me to leave my country. We decided that here would be closer to USA (he is American, based in US) and he always stops here for fuel on the way to deliver the planes to Brazil. We rented a place close to Maho Beach and he has plans to open up a business in the island. See, he loves it here and I do too, but I've always thought that the beauty of a nice place lies on the people we share it with... That is what makes a place special and memorable. It has been two weeks I'm here and I'm ashamed to say that I had not set foot on the beach so far. I find it hard to trust people here and I think that is partly due to what I've been through before I came here but also I don't know if it's a practice here, but I come from a country which peoples struggles a lot to make a living and honestly the people that I met here so far they all come to me asking to borrow money, even in Brazil people don't do that to strangers or people they hardly know. I don't know whether it's normal here just because I look tourist, but that makes me feel very uncomfortable and unsafe, even the doorman at my complex stopped me the other day to ask me to put credits on his prepaid phone! That makes me very uncomfortable... I don't know why people who barely know me or who I do not have any acquaintance whatsoever would come up to me for such things. I'm not used to it and I'm beginning to ask myself that maybe I'm doing something wrong or not looking for friends in the right places. The truth is that I'm getting scared to leave my apartment, my husband being pilot goes away from time to time. I would feel much better if I had friends I can trust and not have to live in fear again. I'm sorry for sharing all that at once, it's probably not a good first impression of me, but I'm just being as true to what I've been going through as I possibly can. I hope I can make good friends during my staying here and finally be able to enjoy this beautiful piece of paradise on earth!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making Friends at SXM
Posted by: SXMNorm (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 11:44AM

Welcome to this Board.It's a great place to meet people who love SXM.
We visit SXM two or three times a year. We have made friends with several people who live on SXM.
There are other Boards similar to this where people who love SXM post their experiences and plan their next trip, as well as planning to meet others.
Keep reading, I'm sure you'll find someplaces you'd like to get out of your place to visit.
Like any other place in the world,SXM has crime.You just have to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings. We have found the people of SXM to be very friendly and anxious to make friends and do their best to make our stay great.

Posted by: Marcia Motta (---.caribserve.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 12:32PM

Hi! Thank you for your prompt response, I'm gonna be on the lookout trying to make new friends here, I really love the island and I hope soon to be exchanging experiences of my own and posting nice pictures of this amazing place.
Take care!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2012 07:53AM

It is always difficult to get used to a new country and it is hard to be here on the island by yourself. and it is true.if some people think you have money they will ask you for favors.
and of course there is crime here so as with any place you have to be careful.
That said, this island is filled with people from all over the world. I am sure you will be able to make friends but you have to get out and just do it.
Perhaps you could consider volunteering at one of our community organizations. That is a great way to meet people

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2012 01:41PM

Just as a little background to Marcia about Barbara. She started in SXM as a tourist. Married a SXM'er. Has lived on SXM for a lonnnnnng grinning smiley time And is now, for one of her activities that I know, helps guide and improve the SXM Zoo. I'm sure she's connected other places as well.

Posted by: JuliusLTU (---.static.zebra.lt)
Date: February 14, 2013 01:54PM

Hello Marcia, how are you doing? Did you find any friends? smiling smiley

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |