The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Directions to avoid traffic
Posted by: papa_smoke (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2010 11:33PM

We are staying at the Flamingo Beach Resort. I have heard so much about congested traffic. What are the best/quickest ways to get to/from the airport, Marigot, or Orient from my condo?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Directions to avoid traffic
Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2010 08:41AM

The first thing to do about the traffic is to accept that there are a lot of cars on the roads, and there's nothing you can do about that. Add to that the fact that no one's really in a hurry to get anywhere (island time) you will have congestion. We generally don't care when we get where we're going, but if we have a reason we need to be somewhere on time (a party, or a dinner reservation) we generally leave a half hour before we think we need to leave. That way we're not stressed...who wants to be stressed on vacation?!

There's only one way to get to the airport and that's to turn left at the bottom of the hill and follow that road until you reach the airport. Unless you get caught in a bridge opening, the traffic really isn't a huge problem getting to the airport.

To get to Marigot, turn right at the bottom of the hill and go to the roundabout. Go straight thru the roundabout (which is actually more of a left turn), and continue on until you reach Marigot.

To get to Orient, turn right at the bottom of the hill and go to the roundabout. Turn right towards Philipsburg. At the next roundabout turn left, and at the next roundabout go straight. Turn left at the Shell station, follow that road to Orient, on your right.

It's very easy to navigate the island. I suggest that you get a map at the airport or from your rental guy, and take a drive around the island the first or second day of your trip. That way you'll familiarize yourself with the roads and see a lot of the island's charm.

Date: February 21, 2010 11:05AM

Thanks, GaKaye! I appreciate your input. I asked about the directions to the airport because a couple of people told me to drive AROUND the lagoon to avoid the traffic. It seemed a long distance just to bypass the bridge. I know somewhere on this site is a link to the times it is raised. I need to find that again. If it is up, I will explore. LOL

Date: February 21, 2010 12:27PM

It's pretty easy to avoid the bridge opening times; you just have to plan a little. And I would NEVER drive around the lagoon to get to the airport from Flamingo! BTW, we stay at LaVista Beach, which is right next to Flamingo.

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.1.---)
Date: February 21, 2010 01:09PM

Bridge opening times depend on the season. If you know them, you can usually avoid them.

Right now the times are.

9:00 am
9:30 am

11:00 am
11:30 am

4:30 pm
5:30 pm

During low season, drop the first one in each pair.

Of course, a boat can pay $$$ to have a special opening, then all bets are off. That will be happening quite alot in the next couple of weeks due to Heineken Regatta. We're just going to stay home and watch from here!

Date: February 21, 2010 03:25PM

Elaine, I can't imagine a better vantage point!

Date: February 21, 2010 03:57PM

Elaine - Thank You! I will save these times elsewhere. Seems the ONLY problem I might have is on Day 1 when my plane arrives.... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.226.103.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2010 04:12PM

Hey Papa!

From the airport to Flamingo on the WORST day shouldn't take longer than 1 hour....Elaine...road warrior...correct if I'm wrong. Pop a top..read or watch the people...count the restaurants ...it's never too boring !

Den

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.1.---)
Date: February 21, 2010 05:20PM

Again, depending on the time of year and traffic, it could take more than an hour. If you get stuck in traffic, just pull into Uncle Harry's and have a drink. You can keep an eye on your car from the bar!

Date: February 21, 2010 10:08PM

smiling smiley We ARE talking about 3 miles from the airport to the Timeshare, right???

I am thinking Uncle Harry's may be getting some of my $$$$ >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.6.---)
Date: February 22, 2010 10:48AM

We typically get "stranded" there a couple of times a week!

Date: February 23, 2010 02:02PM

Elaine - ROFL. I LIKE the idea of being stranded there. So much so that I am ADDING 3 days to our trip!

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2010 02:05PM

Elaine, isn't Uncle Harry's only open in the evening?

Annie

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.7.---)
Date: February 24, 2010 10:09AM

Annie, They open at 4. Traffic usually does not back up that far during the day. 4 - 7 is Happy Hour. Convenient, eh?

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 10:33AM

Very convenient, Elaine.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |