The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

verizon cell phone service--working yet???
Posted by: ginarowe (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2009 02:18PM

When we last visited this past May, verizon cell service was not working as it did previously, I know others had problems around that time, does anyone know if it is now working again? We are coming back in a few weeks, and don't know if we should bring our phones, or rent one down there again. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: verizon cell phone service--working yet???
Posted by: GaKaye (205.232.44.---)
Date: September 18, 2009 07:40AM

It is my understanding that if you have a GSM phone, your Verizon service will work. It is the CDMA service that no longer works on the island.

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 07:54AM

I'm pretty sure my Verizon blackberry worked, but we shut it down because of the costs, better to just get a tele from Sharon.

I'm going to turn on the "international" part of the phone just to see the difference for our next trip,but still, it's 1.99 I think a minute, and you get hit for every email that comes in. But its more of a curiousity thing now!

Posted by: ginarowe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 18, 2009 03:34PM

Thanks for the info. We probably we just get a phone down there again, with or without a phone or service, can't wait to be back there !! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Neal Barrie (190.102.6.---)
Date: September 30, 2009 12:26PM

My best suggestion for cellphone usage on the island (this and most others) is:

1) Get your phone UNLOCKED. This involves going to your cell provider in the States (or wherever), and getting an unlock code (or having some guy in your local Chinatown to accomplish this by other means). Usually, this is free from your provider, provided you have had their service for at least 6 months. But, it can often take as much as several weeks. Some providers actually mail you an unlock code, which they then tell you is "generated by the phone manufacturer" or some such.

2) When you land, go anywhere and buy a local SIM card. There are several different providers. For the sake of a week or few week's vacation, they don't vary hugely. Usually, $25 buys you the SIM card to pop into your phone (instead of your home SIM card), plus $20 of talk time. Top up the phone if or as needed.

This will come out much better than paying roaming fees, buying an international phone (which still involves everyone on the island dialing an international number), or anything like that.

The only other possibility is if you have a Blackberry or iPhone, and want to send text messages (or use Blackberry messenger) exclusively. But, there is something to be said for actually dialing a number and talking to the intended party.

If you're computer savvy, getting a Skype phone is also a possibility.

Date: September 30, 2009 01:30PM

to BBM from the island, do I need to set up my blackberry for international, or will it just work? We have a phone, but when we want to just get a message to our daughter, or even if we are both together on the island, BBm'ing would be great!

Posted by: sxmorelse (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2009 12:19AM

You run the risk of losing/damaging your phone with all of your info if you use your own phone. The cost of a rental from Sharon is so little that for us it makes sense to pay the few bucks for the rental & lock our phones in the room safe. We did try the buy a chip thing once but we came during carnival, queen's birthday & some other holiday along with the weekend so that meant nothing was open for about 5 days. That was the trip we found Sharon because she was open & we have never regretted our decision.

Cynthia K.

Date: October 03, 2009 08:28AM

Sharon is great, and I purchased a chip many years ago from her, and use it in our un locked telephone. I'm just curious if the bbm feature of the blackberry works? You run the risk or losing/damaging your telephone every day home or vacaton?

Which reminds me it is time to load up the sxm telephone!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |