The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

3 months enforced ?
Posted by: Rasputin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 15, 2009 10:35AM

Hypothetical question (maybe grinning smiley)

If I (or someone hypothetical) was to spend more than 3 months on the island visitng, and did not try to work, but was just a visitor/tourist,

what is the chance of getting in trouble or getting kicked off the island because one stayed longer than the 90 days.

Not trying to live there illegally, but may be longer than the 90 day alloted time.

I've looked into the Visa thing, looks rather difficult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3 months enforced ?
Posted by: rasptin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 15, 2009 10:38AM

BTW, would hypothetically be staying on the French-side.

Posted by: irinaleibo (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 15, 2009 11:37AM

A friend of mine got caught at the airport coming back in after staying longer than 3 months.
She did not have a return ticket. I used to go in without a return and never got caught. Just luck of the draw.
They also do controls at the bars to see if all the workers have cards.
Cheers
irina

Date: July 15, 2009 02:04PM

Since I would not be working, I don't think I'd have to be worried about working illegally. So it's just a question of being a "tourist" past 90 days.

Posted by: P Madden (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 15, 2009 02:20PM

A subject of various interpretations.With a visa,they say 90 days a year.As a USA citizen,one does not need a visa.However,one is theoretically allowed 90 days in a rowbut if you go off island to,say, St.Barts,some say the count begins again I have heard many things over the years,but never got a good answer.The immigration people seem to change the interpretation from one day to another. My advice ,if you are over 90days,is to lay low,try to get your passport stamped if you go Anguilla or St Barts for the day.The latter may fly,Ihope

Date: July 15, 2009 02:37PM

I've researced it, and the 90 day stamp is for a total of 90 days a calendar year. It does NOT start counting again if you leave the island for a few days.

I looked into apllying for a French Visa from a French Consulate in the U.S., and the application procedure is a challenge.

So was thinking of "cheating" a little past the 90 day rule, and was wondering how much trouble one might get into, or maybe it's not enforced if not trying to work there illegally.

Date: July 15, 2009 02:46PM

Here's what it seems they are looking for:

[www.consulfrance-newyork.org]

Posted by: P Madden (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 15, 2009 06:16PM

My Guess is that it is not likely to be enforced unless one attracts attention Just remember,one runs the risk of something happening as happened to an owner of a travel agency several years ago

Date: July 16, 2009 11:25AM

Yup, don't attract attention.

Maybe if I get caught I can just claim to know Philippe, that must count for something! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: irinaleibo (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 16, 2009 01:38PM

Just make sure you have a return ticket to leave. That's what they did to my friend and they let her go after her husband showed up with it (at the Police Station!).
Don't overthink it! LOL
Cheers
irina
PS AND CASH $$$$$$$$$

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |