The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Short Trip Report
Posted by: Enzo la Rosa (---.cust-adsl.tiscali.it)
Date: February 09, 2009 04:27PM

I spent 14 great days in sxm in January, this was only my 2nd visit since I left the island in 2001.

My impressions are the followings:

1) Great improvements with the new airport, Philipsburg, the port facilities, I mean really great.

2) Too many cars on the roads and although there have been some improvements the road between the airport and Kool Baai it is definetely not up to par and I do not understand the lack of sidewalks near the restaurants in Simpson bay.Lack of proper public transportation a big minor.

3) St. Maarten restaurants are still very good and I think that the island beats hands down 99% of tourist destinations in the world for concentration of good restaurants, from budget to expensive, and overall quality of food & wine.

Regards
enzo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Short Trip Report
Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 05:09PM

I agree a huge increase in cars,traffic , and buildings since the storm in 99.I still can't believe how the island has changed since my first visit 30 yrs ago.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 06:37PM

Hi Enzo... thank you for your trip report. I agree that much should be done regarding the parking/sidewalks in Simpson Bay but actually, although it certainly is a hazard, I find it endearing....weird right? You see, when I come home, I expect to see those bland sidewalks and ever so straight parking spaces, and so when I go to the island I feel that I want to see a different lifestyle. A sort of "catch-as-catch-can" lifestyle...If they fixed it up, I would then need to look at the old postcards to know what it was really like...and I don't want to do that. I want to see it in real life. Just like looking at the old postcards and seeing all the dirt roads and livestock roaming the streets. You don't see that now and I guess progress changed all that. Some look at them fondly and maybe wish it were back to what it was so maybe we should all just let the island hold some endearing, albeit dangerous, features that we don't find in our everyday life.

I know this all sounds strange but if they did fix up the Simpson Bay area to what it really should be regarding safety and convenience, I would be happy but at the same time very disappointed in not being able to see life in a different way anymore, which is one of the reasons I love the island.

Thank you again though for your report. Where did you stay?

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.52.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 08:06PM

Hey!

Thanks for the report. You are so right...the infrastructure has not caught up with the development. Too much cement in the wrong places.

John, I understand your point but things change and won't ever be the same. Check out Vieques or Bonaire for "in the days" milieus.

Over New Year's there were 2 very serious accidents in front of Tijuana Yacht Club in Simpson Bay when a total of 3 tourists were run over. It was not a pretty sight 6 hours later on my way to MAHO.

Improve where it's needed and leave the good parts alone.

Denis

Date: February 09, 2009 09:24PM

Wow...so sorry to hear about that!

I do understand what you and Enzo are saying but I still feel that there are some things I find so endearing (and challenging) about the island and one of them is that they are so different in their ways. It may be backward to us...building restaurants one right next to the other before improving the roads and parking... but if they were to have done this the right way, then I would have found it so against the grain of how this island ticks...

I think of the Simpson Bay area as the indy 500...we knowingly go out there to have a great time and as hazardous as it may be, the thrill of it all is what makes it fun and challenging. If they took each car and gave it it's own lane and one lane only, then that thrill and yes, danger, would disappear and ultimately so would the sport. To me, eating in Simpson Bay is like a sport to be challenged and so if finding a space in front of the restaurant of choice is amazingly successful any one night, then, aside from really enjoying my meal, I would feel that I won the race as well.grinning smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:17AM

hi Enzo
Thanks for the trip report. it was good to see you.
The restaurants here are indeed superior. and speaking of that, we had dinner Saturday night at la Rosa's 2 and it was fabulous!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 02:56PM

Denis, The intersection to the Pelican is another location for terrible accidents and several deaths over the yrs. Funny how TTOL members used too bash me for complaining about all the building without a plan.They used to say it was progress and get over it.Now I see those same members complaining about over building

Date: February 10, 2009 04:07PM

I have yet to complain. Personally I am probably one of the few that likes what is being done. Of course I have an investment in it so I am somewhat partial but I like the progress and in time things will catch up but I'm not in a rush. I would prefer that they keep the French side sparse, almost buildingless and of late, not without crime in the evening due to this remoteness, and let the smart ones stay on the Dutch side enjoying the French side during the day and the Dutch side and all that it has to offer at night.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.52.8.67.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 04:12PM

John,

IMHO: If you can keep winning at your perilous and somewhat risky Simpson Bay Traffic Game and then live to be about 200 or so and if Cuba doesn't open up its beaches to Americans I am sure you will be ahead of the game !

In the meantime Aruba has done it right and could be an example to a country wanting separate status.

Denis

Date: February 10, 2009 04:31PM

LOL....good one Denis....I hope you all know that my comments are somewhat tongue in cheek and somewhat my beliefs (and for me to know which is which) but I do love the island so much that I accept any imperfections, just like what true love is supposed to be about. And that includes all those "what if's"...

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: enzo (---.cust-adsl.tiscali.it)
Date: February 13, 2009 12:41PM

Ciao barbara, it was absolutely great meeting you. Iva really had a great time with you. We will probably meet again soonwinking smiley

Cheerssmileys with beer

enzo

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |