The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

cell phones
Posted by: Ongxa (---.198.252.64.snet.net)
Date: November 06, 2008 06:31PM

can anyone tee me the best way to communicate with the mainland U.S. during our stay?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cell phones
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.135.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2008 06:43PM

Hey!

No problems with many WI FI spots; dependable internet means SKYPE is cheap and constant. My AT&T cellular phone worked well last week.

Check with your cell phone provider for your rates and availability of service. Remember to mention you are traveling to the NETHERLANDS ANTILLES rather than THE NETHERLANDS.

Beware of using phones in your hotel, timeshare etc.as those rates are off the wall. For another option try MAILBOX in Simpson Bay for about $1.00 per minute last year.

Denis

Posted by: CarolynandWalt (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 06, 2008 08:21PM

A few years ago, hotel rates per minute were in the $2-2.50 range if dialed through the hotel operator. If you call from the hotels and use the number for credit card calls that some hotels show next to the telephone, you go through an international operator and we paid almost $40 for a one minute call!! Before making a call from a hotel or timeshare, check with the front desk first to make sure what the rate is. Next option is using a cell phone. With Verizon international dialing (free, arrange before leaving home) the rate is now $1.99 per minute. What we do now is rent a prepaid cell phone from www.QueenofSXM.com. Sharon is great to work with. Check out her website. We also use computers at Mailbox in Simpson Bay for e-mail.

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2008 08:25PM

Ongxa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can anyone tee me the best way to communicate with
> the mainland U.S. during our stay?

Denis has given you some good suggestions.

Another option might be to rent an island cell phone. I recently recommended Sharon Harris to a friend and even though Sharon's website said advance notice was needed, she was able to hook my friend up with a rental and a number only the day before they headed down to the island, and since this was just a day after OMAR visited, that was darned good service, IMHO. Since my friends were already using Kenny's Car Rental he brought the phone to them and delivered it with the rental car at the airport. That seems like a pretty good deal to me. In all honesty, I've not used her myself but my daughter has and all that do seem to really rave about her service.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2008 08:30PM

Carolyn,

It would seem great minds work alike.

And to the OP, www.queenofsxm.com is the same person that I was referring to. If memory serves me, the phone is about $15.for the week and I believe out-going calls are about $.45 per minute or something very close to that. I know she has a web-site and I'm sure the info is all posted there

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: Divedive2 (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 15, 2008 08:25PM

Ongxa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> can anyone tee me the best way to communicate with
> the mainland U.S. during our stay?
IF you have an unlocked dual-tri-quad-band phone with a SIM, go to TelCell in Simpson Bay & purchase service from them. The Sim--$10 & ~55 minutes of time $20. Calls to the US about .36/minute.Need more time ,go to any Shell gas station and buy more time --it's computerized. Minimum purchase--$3--- and up.

Posted by: BBB (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2008 10:06PM

I have an account with PhoneAnywhereCheap.com and all my phone numbers in the states are registered. When we're on the island my business and family can call me on my rented phone for 13 cents a minute. The beauty of it is that they can call me whenever they need me or if they just want to talk. I don't make calls back home.

Posted by: Ongxa (---.pp.wesleyan.edu)
Date: November 18, 2008 07:53AM

tried to get hold of queenofsxm no reply can anyone help? emailed 2x last week

Posted by: karabas (---.painewebber.com)
Date: November 18, 2008 12:24PM

Hey!

Any info on hot spots available on Dutch side/Simpson Bay/Maho will be appreciated greatly..

Thx

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.15.---)
Date: November 18, 2008 05:06PM

Sharon always responds. check your spam folder.

Posted by: SharonfromSXM (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 18, 2008 07:14PM

I do not have any unanswered mail at this time since I am leaving tomorrow to head back down to SXM. Please try going through my website: www.queenofsxm.com & in the comments portion please let me know that you are the person who has been trying to reach me. I will try my best to get an answer through to you. I have been in NY & when I am there usually my mail is not blocked but it may have gone to your Spam folder as Elaine pointed out.

Sharon

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.10.---)
Date: November 19, 2008 07:13AM

See you soon, Sharon!

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |