The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

crime
Posted by: Ongxa (---.pp.wesleyan.edu)
Date: October 28, 2008 04:12PM

I have traveled and stayed on st. martin for many years , but I haven't been in several years . I'm staying on the island in late november , but i'm a little concerned with recent crime reports. Can anyone help me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: crime
Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2008 04:35PM

You have to use your own judgement because SXM now has the same problems as many other carib islands. good luck. We will be there end of Nov early Dec too.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 28, 2008 08:13PM

As long as you are staying at a secure place (like a resort) and are staying in a busy area in the evening, you should not have any problems unless of course you leave things in your car or car trunk or do things like flash your money or leave your personal items unattended. Then you will be inviting trouble.

Recently individual homes (villas) have been broken into so I would advise staying away from those until things calm down. It seems that the crime has escalated but if you stay away from remote areas and stay in a resort that has the hustle and bustle of many people, you should have a fantastic time.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: C&M@25 (---.corning.com)
Date: October 29, 2008 12:41PM

We are on the cusp of celebrating our 25th anniversary in SXM early next year. Reluctant to pull the trigger, no pun intended, given we wanted to mostly avoid some of the areas with hustle and bustle. Looked at a place in Grand Case on the beach but now we are concerned it may not be secure enough. By staying away from the busier areas are we really flirting with disaster?

Should we look elsewhere??? Any recommendations?

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 29, 2008 02:28PM

If you mean Grand Case Beach Club, that is a nice secure place from what I have heard. Getting to and from the restaurants in the evening in Grand Case would be your own decision (ie walking vs driving). If you are hesitant on walking, driving the very short distance may be better. If that is your decision, I would say it's a good choice for being on the French side which is the quieter of the 2 sides.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: LBI2SXM (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2008 02:58PM

Grand Case Beach Club Is gated with good security. Never felt unsafe there!

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 29, 2008 04:34PM

C& M @25, I've been vacationing on SXM since the late 70's and IMO, Anse Marcel is a safe secluded area.Especially with the new Radisson opening soon there will be even more security.Visitors must pass threw 2 road blocked locations to park and enter the hotels.We've been staying at LaHabitation since it opened in 86/87 and now stay close to the new Radisson and feel very secure.During our last trip (Feb) we went to Harmony Nights in GC for the last time. We didn't care for some of the people looking at us and following us and didn't feel safe. good luck.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |