The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: LENNY, 1999....OMAR 2008....Deja vu?
Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 05:14PM

Barbara, Maybe a stupid question but do you know if the major airlines have stopped flights to SXM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2008 05:27PM

Keep checking the picture I posted above, because it re-adjusting itself every 3 hours regarding the prevision of where will the hurricane at 5am tomorow morning.
You can see that when I posted the picture originally the wind force on sxm was about 42mph and now their previsions are that it will be 45mph and the direction is slightly different... keeping the finger crossed!
The restaurant is finally totlly closed and secured and I am just back home. It's 5.30pm and it's rainy VERY hard in Oyster Pond - No wind though

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 06:12PM

The airport lights are still on. Saw AA come in this afternoon and leave for Miami, and AF to CDG. Nothing in the last hour, last plane to leave was Coast Guard.

I'm at my office in Simpson Bay, windows looking out across the runway... Tower is now clearing something for departure.

Edit: 6:26PM PJIA is now closed

DineSXM - St. Maarten / St. Martin restaurant guide & online reservations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 06:27PM by Norbert.

Date: October 15, 2008 08:05PM

Last update from sxmcyclone is that Omar is moving forward east and per consequent may pass closer to us and menace sxm a bit more than expected...waiting for an updated tracking map, it's 8.05pm an dit still wasn't updated...
Actually this is herebelow theeonly updated tracking map i found and you can see it is coming more toward us (in green..) than the original projected track (in red)!!!!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 08:09PM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 08:13PM

This looks VERY bad! I do hope that you boarded up and did not wait any longer. I pray that you all stay safe, protected, and dry!

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: October 15, 2008 08:42PM

Just had an official update : at 9pm the French side will be under curfew - "purple alert" - until further notice...
And... as usual, being over confident and over positive, I didn't boarded my ocean front house...confused smiley But, it's ok, like I said the wind shouldn't impact me, this is why I didn't boarded, they are coming from the other side. The low lands, Simpson Bay, Beacon hill, Marigot, and Gd case should worry though...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 08:44PM by Tabba Khady.

Date: October 15, 2008 08:47PM

Actually... looking at the tracking.. if it is keeping the exact same track, it is coming right at us !!! eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye rolling smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rastaman (---.48.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 09:31PM

Hi Barbara and Phillipe: "Things are quiet...too quiet" We did close the bottom shytters on the house. I pray Phillipe is right. We got here late last week, and have been getting ready for the season. After this is over (and the roads are passable) We would like you and Dee, and you and William, to come over. Maybe Sunday? We'll see...rSA

Date: October 15, 2008 11:16PM

at 9.30 everything still quiet ... it's 11 pm now and we start t feel the impact of the storm.. Lightening, thunder, showers... the constant rai abrutly stopped a while ago which is normal in huricanne situation, and it is normally totally quiet and "flat" until the storm really start to hit the area... so now we have some wind gust, kinda strong I can say,even if I am supposed to be on "the other side"...winking smiley and at 11pm the storm was officialy located at 17.4° N, and
64.5° W wich is east of St croix and 71 mile west of sxm... so 36 mph wind for us right now and this updated pic for you...

AND AND AND....

At 3 am we are supposed to be here !!!! 30 to 40 miles... may be less!...:

this is the last update I will give tonight.. I am going to bed right now! I AM STRESSED ENOUGHT !!!!!....It's pouring rain like you cannot imagine on that side of the island! so it isbetter to sleep and feel/hear nothing! lol
One more thing you may have noticed, it is that it's speeding up!.. so where it was supposed to be at 6am it will be pretty much around at 3am!! 3 to 4 hours in advance! Great! by 9am tomorow weare done with this one suposuvely (sp)!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 11:35PM by Tabba Khady.

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 11:57PM

Stay safe Philippe. Hope to hear from you and Barbara in the morning.

peace smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2008 05:40AM

Just heard from our caretaker and wife from our property. They evacuated from their house a few hours back to another higher house at the back of our property. Waves were crashing over our beach wall into the property. Our appliances were floating in the laundry room. They were getting lots of rain and heavy surf but did not have the ability to check out the beach area to see the conditions.

They were VERY surprised at the intesity of the storm. Unlike all of us monitoring it here online, they didn't realize how bad it would be. We are southwest facing and ocean front so I would imagine that we got some of the worst of it.

We are expecting some damage, but are thankful that the people on our property (and our dog) are safe as the storm heads out.

Going to bed. Hope to hear from them at daylight.

peace smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2008 09:01AM

Heard back from Beacon Hill in SXM about 2 hours ago (sorry, I went back to sleep). The houses are ok, no windows broken (we didn't have time to board up!) but our caretakers residence is under about 2 feet of water. Our beach wall is intact but took a major beating by the waves crashing over/through our property. Our front gate (steel and wood) is a bit smashed up and part of our roadside wall has collapsed into the road.

From what I understand the beach has eroded to the bottom foundation of our beach wall (10 feet?) on both sides and we have lost part of our property as the waves receded back into the ocean. Part of the roof from a back boathouse area came off.

All in all it sounds like they had a pretty rough time of it and that it was pretty scary. I think they had visions of Lenny as the conditions seemed quite similar. Thankfully, Omar moved on quickly.

I heard from another neighbor this morning. They had bunkered down in an upstairs apt in their home. The house downstairs is pretty bad, windows and front door blown out, furniture smashed up, the gate on the outside wall is gone, but on the beach-side the retaining wall is still there.

Again, glad everyone is ok. But, looks like we got quite a mess to cleanup.

peace smiling smiley

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 09:18AM

Barbara & Philippe, Thanks so much for providing us with the storm information. Glad knowone was injured and only slight property damage on island. thanks again.

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 09:30AM

We haven't heard from Barbara in quite some time. I hope everything is OK with her and family.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 10:21AM

Good chance the pwer is off and thats why some have been out of touch. Even people who have the generators often find more important stuff to use them for at times like this. Lets hope we here from them soon.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |