- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
French side security
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2008 09:19AM

Apparently the French Governement started to wake up and to act, taking some measures to control and fight the crime wave on the French side.
Since few days I noticed that the gendarmes special units are full force on the ground. I didn't wanted to post immediatly and wanted to wait few days to make sure that what I was witnessing wasn't just another "excercice" or an accidental action but very well something they are putting in place.
On the other hand, it can be a bit impressive, not to say scary, for the regular tourist who's not use to see armed barrage on the road and being stopped and controled by men in combat's uniformes, helmets and masks, bullet proof jackets and heavilly armed with combat weapons...
This type of Gendarmes : (not so seexxy ugh?...grinning smiley)

I beleive they are focusing their control at dusk, around 6pm 6.30pm, on main road, specially between Orient, Cul de sac, and French Quarter.
They slow down the traffic by putting their Land Rover on the middle of the road side way, with flashing lights and are filtering the cars, stopping some,letting other go. I must have a good face, since they let me go everytime grinning smiley.
I beleive it is a good deterent and the criminal may think twice knowing that there are some guys looking for them. Very impressive anyway, it is sad though that the island have to resume to this type of action, since it reminded me some image from my childhood growing up in a ditactorial African country run and control by the militaries, and going through this type of road block several time a day between home and school, school and center of town, etc... But my environement was the safest I ever knew and if this help to clean up the island from its vermin I can bare with that! Somehow I am glad that they finally react and take some action to protect their citizens thumbs up
I am sure some people who always have their glass "half empty" will have something to say like "too little too late" or else, but the important thing is that they are here doing something which is needed.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2008 09:40AM by Tabba Khady.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: French side security
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 18, 2008 09:30AM

damn, that is scary looking
did they know you were taking pictures of them? tongue sticking out smiley

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: September 18, 2008 09:37AM

LOL....>grinning smiley< Ohhh I wouldn't dare, beleive me ...smoking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 18, 2008 09:41AM

so where are the pictures from?

Date: September 18, 2008 09:59AM

Well since I didn't took pictures of them because I don't think it would appropriate or allowed, I surfed the internet and went on the website of the GIGN (Groupe d'Intervention de la Gendarmerie Nationale), their website, to post some picture of what they look alike so the people who are not familiar with those type of gendarmes wouldn't be so scare if they encouter a bunch of the on sxm's roads... You can see in the backround that it is not sxm landscaping or architecture. I hope I do not infringe the copy right laws doing that, oups...If I do, let me know and I'll remove them. But they are coming from their website which is suppose to promote their action etc...
The gendarmes in those pics are not physically the ones I saw this week and yesterday between Orient and FQ, but are similar with their heavy weapons, mask, helmets, uniforms and bulletproof jackets.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rastaman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 10:09AM

Phillipe: This is certainly good news.

Posted by: mikentara (---.152.57.117.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 11:04AM

I am so glad that St. Martin is acknowledging the problem and trying to curb violent crime, illegals, and such. I did read in the daily herald about working with young people to keep them out of trouble. That is excellent. Help the kids so they do not turn to crime. I would be happy to come across these guys anyday!

Posted by: seamusoisin (---.home1.cgocable.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 12:35PM

Phillipe said: "I must have a good face, since they let me go everytime"

That's because your a mod and they don't want to be deleted from their post!.>grinning smiley<

I had the right to remain silent...but I didn't.

[burlingtonscwt.wordpress.com]

Posted by: jkaye (---.dsl.cavtel.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 01:57PM

Thanks Phillipe for the up date in Orient Bay area.

My husband and I own a villa in Orient Bay since 1996 and have had fond memories of our stays with family and friends. But the last few years since the village was built each year we have seen Orient bay going backwards. Our house has been broken into since April this year 3 times. We have finely put the rolling system on front & back doors because they were braking down the doors. Now I feel I'm in prison in my own home. I do not feel good about sending family over to stay because of the crime. It's no vacation when you lay awake at night not knowing what next. We have met great friends in St. Martin and I do not blame the local neighbors, I blame the government with no action attitude. It is sad when you have to make a appointment to do a police report 3 days after the crime.

Posted by: mikentara (---.152.54.198.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 03:38PM

Thank God for the rollling systems! We use them all the time, just about.
I feel like I am in a cave when they are down--But we enjoy opening them each day to see the beautiful water, sunshine and boats in the baie. We are just used to it now. Whenever we leave the condo we close them. When we retire for the night, we close them. Too Bad, but it has become a way of life now.

Posted by: .Bruce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 18, 2008 08:26PM

Great news Phillipe ...this is whats needed right now and you don't know how good your article made us feel since this is what we wanna see to clean things up so we can return to the place we love so much ....

Posted by: SXMNorm (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 09:17PM

Philippe,
How 'bout making Captain O a "hang-out" place for these guys, like some of the restaurants in Grand Case do?

Date: September 19, 2008 07:52AM

Oh no Norm... No way! I prefer to keep them on the street watching out for us smiling bouncing smileywinking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: C&M@25 (---.corning.com)
Date: September 19, 2008 01:19PM

OK, my wife and I are on the verge of making arrangements to visit the island for our 25th anniversary this January, first time visitors. Our plan is to stay at Grand Case in a small beach side villa. The island is so beautiful and we really wanted to stay on the beach.

Should we change plans and stay on the Dutch side? Would have to give up our wish of staying on the beach but sounds as if it may be necessary.

Certainly don't want to have such a special time in our lives ruined by an unfortunate incident.

Any thoughts on using the Villa Lady to make our arrangements?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Date: September 19, 2008 01:25PM

Oh no, don't change your plans. Staying in grand case on the beach is lovely. and using the villa lady is just fine.
there is crime on the island yes but most of our visitors have no problem.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |