- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Telnet or Caribserve ?
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2008 06:12PM

I think the mail server is working now..I got in emails a little while ago but earlier..nothing.. their email service is a mess.
my connection is good...not much down time ..but the email? AARGH!

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SharonfromSXM (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: August 23, 2008 07:41PM

Boy oh boy Elaine you are making me proud. Now that you have the VOIP & the GSM down it is time to tutor you on Slingbox which will give you all of the cable you have at home by using your home cable box & your laptop. I did it when I was home & now my husband has been able to watch his Mets & not miss any games. We are getting all of the channels we have at home & I can change them with a remote on the screen just like the one that works the box in person. I just need the cable to hook it to my TV so we can watch it on that as opposed to the laptop. You would need the faster speed of the Telnet DSL & since UTS bought Caribserve it's anyone guess if the service will remain as good. I will checking out Scarlet for myself in the next week or so for a friend so I will fill you in on that later.

Sharon

Posted by: ymorin007 (---.39-56-74.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: August 23, 2008 09:01PM

On a month, how much time would you get down time on Telnet ?

Thanks

Date: August 23, 2008 09:11PM

I haven't had down time for many months now. MY internet connection stays up..it's just the email that is not working off and on.
that's why i use my hotmaila ccoutn more frequently..
of course, you also have to deal with the power company whih sometimes does have frequnt outages..

Sharon, does the slingbox work down here? I think I need some tutoring too. start a class LOL

Date: August 23, 2008 09:22PM

Thanks for you response Barbara1,

I was more concern about the internet connection then the email account. Me too I use webmail accounts.

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: August 23, 2008 10:11PM

Yes, it's been up and with reasonable throughput for months. Only time recently we had a connection issue was after being throttled. I was putting a new OS on several boxes, and downloading sources / updates over a period of about 72 hours...

A quick phone call to their techs fixed the confusion.

Posted by: SXMSharon (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: August 23, 2008 10:30PM

Yes Barbara the Slingbox works pretty good & I only have the medium speed from Telnet so I am going to go to the fastest speed & then it will be perfect. It is hooked up to one of my cable boxes in the US & I get all of my channels from there including the guide, info just as if I was there watching it. You need to have someone in the states that has cable so that you can hook up to one of their boxes as a start & then I will fill you in on the rest. It really is amazing how it works & I don't understand how either just that it does.

Sharon

Date: August 23, 2008 10:48PM

Can we get Directv on the Island ?

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 09:14AM

Barbara - I posted the link above and the prices are there. They do have a cheap plan, but you really pay for high speed. Bill's business requires that he send large files over the intranet sometimes. So he needs lots of speed/bandwidth. And that's really expensive.

I think the cheap plan is what my neighbor got. Be interesting to see what what her experience is.

Norbert -

You say have a backup. Do you have any suggestions for prpoviders off the island who provide a service ON the island? Would be interested to hear.

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 09:17AM

Hi Sharon!

We'll be talking soon, I'm sure. But I don't think the Slingbox will work for us since we will not have a cable box (or a home for that matter!) in the US. Isn't that part of the deal?

Date: August 24, 2008 09:27AM

Elane
you'll have to let us know what your neighbor's experience is.
Telnet email down again this morning!

Sharon, if my daughter has cable TV in NY, can I use the slingbox off her connection?

Posted by: SXMSharon (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 12:57PM

You can use anyone's cable in the US but I would suggest that your daughter get an extra box because you will be controlling the box from your computer so if you were both using the same box you would be changing the channels on each other. Usually an extra box costs around $2.00 to $5.00 a month depending on the cable company. The cost for the extra box would be your only expense except for the initial purchase of the Slingbox products which cost around $300.00 for everything. I am sending you a PM!!!!

Sharon

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 06:41PM

Yea B,
I looked into Slingbox for my place in Miami. Wanted the NYC stations. You have to have an account with cable in NY. So Erika would be watching TV and you would be changing the stations on her. Don't think that would work. LOL

Someone else mentioned another VoIP product. With Vonage you only need an internet connection, not a computer. Just plug it into the wall Cat5 plug.

Yannick there is Dish Network on SXM (sort of, you will find out).

Shame about CaribServe. They were very good at customer service.

Cheers
irina

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 07:16PM

@ Ymorin: I thought there was an official DirecTV reseller on SXM but I'm unable to find any reference to it online. A lot of people seem to use Dreambox, Coolsat etc type boxes and decrypt Dish/Bell signals.

@ Elaine: don't know, other than HughesNet maybe? Again, can't seem to find a local point of contact. On the French side, I would investigate ADSL from DomAccess (fiber to Guadeloupe) and a backup from CaribServe (fiber to Puerto Rico).

OTOH, we have been ok for a number of years even without redundancy. Complete outages have become more sporadic (maybe 3-4 times a year - one day or so), network congestion lasting several days has happened in the past but seems to be less frequent too.

Norbert

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2008 07:23PM

I also use Slingbox when I visit SXM and even at work I use it to listen to the good music stations throughout the day. The reception can be a little sporadic at times, depending on, as Sharron said, the speed of your internet service but if the speed is fast, then your reception should be pretty good. It's not exactly like watching TV at home regarding clarity but good enough for us to not notice it after a minute.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |