The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Things will get worse before they get better........sad smiley
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2008 07:46PM

Yes, I have heard that if you are a Member and can use these perks, its definitely worth it. Our friends have maintained their Membership because on occasion when the mood strikes, if the deal is good, they take a quick trip to other islands for a getaway.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: OtherHalfa (12.16.111.---)
Date: August 10, 2008 08:31PM

Things got worse a long time ago - before the desperate got desperate.

First off you have the timeshare associations (DMSTSO) and timeshare companies (Divi) milking their membership of 'special assessment fees. One time, pour your pocket out to us fees. 1300 dollar, over initially 2 years, then 3 years fee up and beyond the 700 dollar usual maintenance fee. Put that up with whatyou pat the for the actual timeshare ownership - make that timeshare rip-me-off-share.

THEN, you have decided on commitment a little independent from the timeshare stuff, and only choose to have your stuff stored on the island to make travel a little bit easier. NOW, you get there to find your stuff stolen and sold at a yard sale (Club Orient, summer of 2006). You return, minus the things you need (cause they are in storage), like shampoo, and you lose 2 days of your vacation shopping for what the millionaire who own Club Orient sold of yours.

The point here, boys and girls - THE WORSE HAS BEEN HAPPENING LONG BEORE SOMEONE POINTED IT OUT.

Date: August 10, 2008 09:08PM

Wow...So sorry to hear that it took 2 entire days to replace all those things in that storage bin. I wonder how much they sold that bottle of shampoo for!eye popping smiley

Now seriously, so sorry to hear about your timeshare woes. Yes, this can be stressful and understand why you would feel the way you do because criminal acts come in all forms...but from the way I see it, it's more than the luck of the draw. That is why I tell anyone interested in purchasing a T/S is to do their homework. Look at the track record, look at the location, look at any unusually low maintenance fees (Divi and Sapphire had ridiculously low fees for a time) as a BIG clue that something is wrong in paradise.

Nothing is free because it will always come with a big price tag later on. Actually, with the money saved for that many years of paying such really low yearly fees, any moderate surcharge should not actually be a problem as long as the money is actually used to make the necessary improvements needed. From what I read about Divi, those improvements have been very well received by the current owners too! Seems whoever bought your timeshare is now reaping the benefits.

Hopefully your woes have reduced now to a point where you can enjoy at least a few days on the island without looking over your shoulder. Crime has been happening since the Awawaks were introduced to the Caribs so my suggestion is to be vigilant but not obsessed.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: kevsuz (---.113.136.static.ldmi.com)
Date: August 11, 2008 12:59PM

Hello Pat, Vicki and BobP

We also own at the Cottages and we do own at the Towers. Charter members since 88. Bought our week at the Cottages in 1999. Like spending a week on each side like two different vacations. Anyways............When we bought at the Cottages we bought direct. Went in on a trade from a Florida vacation week. Loved the location so bought and were given 1 free week with I I, About a year later we too wondered why do we belong to RCI or II if we just go back to St. Martin every year. We sold our Florida week and just go back to St. Martin every January. But I do constantly get phone call from RCI to re join and put our Cottages unit in the rental pool. So I know it can be done.
With that being said Pat we are in agreement with you. We will not change our vacation plans but will be cautious as always. I feel for Bruce, Barbara and everyone else who has experienced the crime but it can happen anywhere at anytime. Heck I work in Detroit and everyone says how bad it is but it not as bad as people talk. It's about using your head, knowing your surrounding and staying away from places you shouldn't be near. Just my 2 cents.

KevSuz

Posted by: .Bruce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2008 09:27PM

It's about using your head, knowing your surrounding and staying away from places you shouldn't be near. Just my 2 cents.

Like a locked villa at 630 am , or that other dangerous place ...a dentist office ... yeah ok

Date: August 12, 2008 09:02AM

Hi Bruce,

We all agree that these horrible things happened, but just like one of the above poster's stated, whether you want to go back or not is your own personal decision and no one should force or condemn these decisions.

Now think about it this way...if it wasn't your experience but someone who was new to this or the other board...would this sway you from returning to the place you have had so much fun and met so many wonderful people. Now be truthful about this. Don't sit back and say that you wouldn't without really, really thinking about your personality, your energy, and love of the island.

I guarantee you that you would have been booking your next trip the minute you returned from the island.

What I am trying to say as gently as I can is that if mankind stopped doing what their true passions called for, knowing or not even knowing the consequences, then history books would be 1 page long and we'd be living only on the East Coast of the US for fear of traveling West, under British rule, and God only knows what our taxes would have been like then winking smiley ...

Not all of us can predict our futures but I certainly won't stop living based on the experiences of what I read in the paper or on-line. If that were the case, I would lock the doors and never leave.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: kevsuz (---.113.136.static.ldmi.com)
Date: August 12, 2008 12:00PM

Hey Bruce

I do feel for you. Sick sad thing that happened to your wife and you on your honeymoon at a place that you care about. Was not trying to say you or Barbara did anything wrong. Do not want to get into any kind of debate, but things do happen everywhere no matter what precautions we try to take. I guess its just destiny. I was just trying to say avoid unnecessary risks. I sincerely wish you and your wife the best of luck getting over the sick ba$tards and hope you someday can return to a place you do seem to love.

KevSuz

Posted by: TomR (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 12, 2008 12:50PM

[Hi Vicki: I hope to see you this December at the Royal Islander if you have not already moved into your condo. I decided, however, not to return for my 2 weeks in March 2009 for personal reasons that had nothing to do with any increase in crime in SXM. I hope to make it back to SXM in December of 2009 though unless crime and traffic really get out of control. To tell the truth, I am more concerned with traffic at this point as the Royal Islander is relatively safe and I don’t venture too far from it at night.

You are right about the Royal Islander trading through II and RCI, and I am a member of both organizations. My experience is that I get far better trades through II than I do through RCI. II also gives me an Accommodation Cetificate whenever I deposit a March week. These ACs can be useful if you are flexible and don’t mind paying a few bucks for what amounts to an extra week at a timeshare.
Tom

Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2008 01:01PM

Hi Tom! Yes we will be there in December! I wouldn't miss these weeks at RI for the world. I look forward to seeing you again and hanging by the pool/beach and soaking up that sun! (Notice 3 exclamation points...no I'm not excited...grinning smiley)

Even though we own at RBC, we have too many wonderful friends at RI to give up those weeks. We'll have time enough in future years to take advantage of RBC.

See ya in about 3.5 months.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: .Bruce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 12, 2008 05:08PM

Hey i have never asked anyone not to go to the island ...we just warned others about what happened to us , but when one says "its all about using your head and staying out of places you shouldn't be in " ...That theory doesn't hold up anymore when you are attacked in your locked home or like Barbara in a dentist office ...

Date: August 12, 2008 05:34PM

Yep...unfortunately you are correct.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2008 05:59PM

the other side of using your head and staying out of places you shouldn't be in..
is don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time and that unfortunately we have no control over..... who knows where the "wrong" place may be?
Bruce and Kim and I didn't think we were in the wrong place.. and that is what is scary.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Date: August 12, 2008 07:00PM

Unfortunately, the more that people take precautions (from warnings that they are given) the more brazen the criminal will get. A criminal does not stop stealing just because people don't leave things in their car anymore or don't carry pocketbooks as often. A criminal will seek his source in any way possible and if it takes changing their routine, then that's what he will do. But the harder it is for them to get what they want, the more angry and desperate they will get. Stealing things from a car was an easy act. Quick and painless for them. No guns or machetes required. Get in, grab, and run. Now that a great many people are warned about the more simple do's and don'ts, the harder it is for the criminal to get what they want.

I saw this coming a few years ago when the only warning was to not leave anything in your car. The more people were warned the more I thought, "Hey...what will they go after if everyone stops leaving things in their car or stop carrying pocketbooks?"

Maybe, in hindsight, we should have kept this precaution to ourselves...eye rolling smiley

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: cuznvin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2008 07:29PM

Or maybe start leaving things in the cars???

Date: August 12, 2008 07:33PM

What I would love to do is leave some bad drugs in the car....grinning smiley Now THAT would be a good solution, don't you think...lmao

[www.vrbo.com]

Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |