The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Airline Email Scams......thumbs down
Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2008 08:25AM

Just when we think we've heard it all.......

From Smarter Travel:

" Up Front with Tim Winship > Email scam targets frequent flyers
Email scam targets frequent flyersPosted June 6, 2008 at 2:36 pm ET by Tim Winship
As do all Internet users, I receive my share of spam and scam in my email inbox. As a longtime Web enthusiast, I thought I'd seen just about every possible permutation of the online hustle. But yesterday a colleague forwarded me an email he deemed suspicious (correctly), and which featured a novel twist.

The email's subject line was "AAdvantage Survey Program" and read as follows:

Greetings from AA.com
Welcome to the American Airlines AAdvantage(R) program, the first and largest loyalty program in the world! We are proud to inform you that today June. 26 /2008 AmericanAirlines.com launch a new reward program. Please log in to your American Airlines account and take the 5 questions survey. For your effort you will be rewarded with $50

Your 50 dollars bonus code is AA-001NXX-2008NX22. Please log in to your www.aa.com account and follow the steps.

Thank you very much for your help and your patient and hope you will enjoy the American Airlines reward program in the future

Sincerely,
American Airlines Reward Department

Advertisement

Those who clicked on the link in the email were taken first to a web page that looked exactly like a page on AA.com where they were asked to provide an AAdvantage membership number and PIN; then to an online survey with questions pertaining to American's website; and finally to a page requesting the user's personal information, including social security number, date of birth, mother's maiden name, credit card number, expiration date, code, and ATM PIN.

This is classic phishing. (According to Wikipedia, "phishing is an attempt to criminally and fraudulently acquire sensitive information, such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.")

I can't say for sure that this is the very first frequent flyer program-related email scam, but it is the first one I'm aware of. Also noteworthy is American's response.

A recipient of the email forwarded it to American spokesman Tim Wagner, who alerted the AAdvantage department and American's IT security personnel. It was determined that the email, which appeared to have been sent from AA.com, actually traced back to a server in Moscow. American then took the unusual step of sending an email to AAdvantage members, as follows:

It has come to our attention that a "phishing" email was received by many people including some of our AAdvantage(R) members. A phishing email attempts to trick unsuspecting people into revealing personal information to a third party. This particular phishing email is a fraudulent email message that claims to be from American Airlines and offers a $50 payment in return for completing a survey.
If you received this email, do not open the link and delete the email immediately.

If you have received the phishing email and have provided your personal AAdvantage information, please log on to AA.com immediately, verify your account balance and change your password. If unauthorized changes have been made to your account, please call us at 1-800-882-8880 and speak "AAdvantage Services," then select "Account Information" and ask for an "agent."

If you provided other personal information when completing the phishing survey, we suggest you contact your financial institutions.

Wagner suspects the culprits were more interested in obtaining credit card information than in using AAdvantage information to fraudulently obtain free tickets. I think he's right—frequent flyer awards are easily traced.

Targeting frequent flyer program members may be a one-time-only event. Unfortunately, it's more likely that this is just the beginning of a new trend.

As banks and credit card issuers know, frequent flyers are a highly desirable segment of the consumer universe. Perpetrators of phishing scams recognize that too, and can be expected to target mileage program members again. And again and again and again.

Think that email is from your frequent flyer program? Don't be too sure. (See the Wikipedia article referenced above for assistance in recognizing and eliminating phishing emails.)"

smileys with beer Contessa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Airline Email Scams......thumbs down
Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 18, 2008 09:18AM

Thank you Contessa for this warning. And to all out there that have read the above, NEVER EVER click on the links to any ad or reminder from your bank(s) or credit card(s). If they say that you should go to the website to view your statement, then close the e-mail down and go to the real website. I do this even with my monthly bank or credit card e-mails. I know it's tempting to just click and think you are going to the right place but the chances are you won't. Better to take 30 seconds to close the e-mail down and type in the real website's address for the best security.

Vicki

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2008 09:39AM

I received that email too, Contessa.
I ignored it like I do all such emails.
It's amazing the number of people who fall for these scams though.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: carolv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 18, 2008 10:53AM

Funny-I received the warning from AA but not the original

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |