The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: hot smileyRe: Summer Recipes........
Posted by: cuznvin (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 11:01AM

My new favorite find is Bulgur.. A local Turkish restaurant calls it Red Rice

Bulgur pilaf
6 servings
Cracked wheat is one of the most distinctive ingredients of oriental, and hence Turkish, cooking. It comes into its own in the Lebanese salad 'tabouleh', a mixture of cooked bulgur with parsley and onion. In Turkey it is used as a substitute for rice.
3 cups of bulgur
1 medium onion
1 Red Pepper
3 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons tomato paste
salt to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
Chicken broth to cover
Wash the bulgur and drain it. Chop the onion and the pepper. Put onion and pepper in saucepan with the butter and olive oil. Gently heat and then brown the onion. Add the tomato paste and salt. Mix. Add the drained bulgur. Stir. Cover with chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Then cook on low heat until the water is absorbed.

I change the ingredients up a little. Last time I sauteed mushrooms with the pepper and onion and added some cooked chicken.

Another popular recipe using Bulgur is Tabouleh....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hot smileyRe: Summer Recipes........
Posted by: John (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 11:08AM

Thanks Vinny, Contessa, and Big MacIain for your interesting recipes! I would love those deviled eggs but Rick is not a fan of spicy, hot foods (which I am) but I can't eat eggs (Boo Hiss) and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE eggs too!!!! Rick cooks them on Sunday morning for himself and I literally drool. I can eat the yolks but not the white so even egg beaters is out of the question.

Just to let you know, I quickly put together the cucumber recipe from Philippe and boy did that bring back memories. Thanks so much Philippe!

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Re: Summer Recipes........
Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2008 11:56AM

Vicki, how about making the mixture with just yolks and using it as a spread on crackers? That could work!grinning smiley

smileys with beer Contessa

Date: June 24, 2008 12:08PM

Hmmmm......that does sound like a good plan... Next time Rick makes his deviled eggs, I'll have him make 2 or 3 extra ones. He'll take the whites and I'll try and whip myself up a special Yolk-only batch.... I'll let you know if it works. I would have thought that the whites were needed to make it taste good but thanks for the idea!

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: June 26, 2008 04:37PM

All great menus need a great dessert! Here's a great and easy one.....

EASY BLUEBERRY CAKE

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1 yellow cake mix
1 package cream cheese, 8 ounces, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 can blueberries, drained (15 oz)or 1 pkg. frozen blueberries
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preparation:
Combine cake mix, cream cheese, oil, and eggs; mix well. Add blueberries and vanilla; stir until well combined. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until done.

Posted by: BigMacIain (---.cpe.mountaincable.net)
Date: June 26, 2008 05:34PM

Talking elsewhere about cheese, I found this great fig salad appetizer.

Put 3 tbsp walnut oil and 1 tbsp sunflower oil, 1 tbsp white vinegar, salt and freshly grounded black pepper in a small bowl, then whisk together.

Arrange 1 x 114g bag watercress, 3-4 ripe figs, quartered and slices of Pont L’Evêque on four serving plates. Scatter over 6 dried stoned and sliced dates and 2 oz toasted walnuts. Drizzle over the dressing and serve immediately.

I'm trying this one on the weekend, if I can find figs.

Date: June 26, 2008 07:28PM

I'll bet that would be great with goat cheese! Yum. I make a very simple fig salad w/mixed baby greens, goat cheese, glazed walnuts and my own fig vinagrette! Unbelievable flavors.

Patriotic Menu.......
Date: July 03, 2008 02:21PM

Here's a great link for a Patriotic Menu! I'm making one of the jello molds, sugar-free, for a nice refreshing low-cal dessert! Am decorating like the flag mold. Should look festive!! Enjoy!!

[www.kraftfoods.com]

Happy Fourth!!

Re: Patriotic Menu.......
Date: July 03, 2008 02:26PM

Thanks Contessa for the link. That jello mold made into the flag was really quite clever. I hope yours is enjoyed as much as it will be admired.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 19, 2008 05:55PM

Sorry guys but I needed to move this back to the top to copy some recipes that I didn't get a chance to do before. Just had the cucumber in yogurt tonight again. So refreshing.

[www.vrbo.com]

Posted by: Cybele (---.dsl.yntwoh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2008 11:50PM

Actually Laban is sold in all Middle Eastern stores and make a delicious spread on pita bread. You can make it at home by adding salt to the plain yogurt , and draining it overnight in a cheese cloth. For best results use Greek yogurt which is more thick , and creamy.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2008 07:15AM

Thanks Cybele.

[www.vrbo.com]

Pages: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |