The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Newbie here, lots of questions...
Posted by: susan06254 (---.sub-75-194-57.myvzw.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 08:06PM

Hi all - Newbie here with lots of questions. We (3 adults) will be traveling to SXM in early April for our first visit. We're staying at Belair Beach Hotel as an RCI exchange. Is there a FAQ for this board?? Obviously I have all the usual questions... need for rental car, bars, beaches, grocery store, bars, island rum tours, golf, hotel location, live reggae and island music locations, happy hour, etc!! We're 5x visitors to Jamaica, having stayed in All Inclusive resorts; this will be our first Caribbean vacation having to forage for our own food and drink... any and all suggstions welcome. And, thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie here, lots of questions...
Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 06:55AM

Susan,

Ask away - many here are longtime SXM vets and there are even some here who live on the island and all will be happy to answer your questions.

St. Maarten(Dutch) St. Martin (French) is not much of an AI island. There's a cute little restaurant at the Belair and the dining all over the island, from extremely inexpensive beach eats to high end restaurants is unparalleled throughout the Caribbean, IMO.

Do rent a car and see the island. Traffic is a pain but start out early in the AM and go the opposite way around the island from the direction most cars are going and you'll see it all eventually without as much hassle and if you do this early in your stay you'll end up with a much better idea of where things actually are located. Not that you would, but don't get caught under the influence, the limits are lower on the French side than most places here at home....better to take a cab ifn you're planning a big night out.

Remember the cardinal rule, don't leave anything in your car that you wish to have the next day - not hidden and locked in the trunk or glovebox and particularly not in plain site in the car. Leave your expensive bling at home and travel worry-free. As a 35 year annual island vet I've never had a problem but I do know 'stuff' happens all the time everywhere.

Have a wonderful time - as much as we've travelled, there's still no other place I've been that has nearly the pull for us as this island.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 07:49AM

If you don't get any answers to your questions you can try the 'other' SXM board.

www.traveltalkonline.com

Good luck!

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 09:55AM

For starters - rent a car. Best bet are the locals but Hertz, Budget and Alamao are there to.
French beaches are all topless okay. Orient Beach is the clothing optional one.
Dutch beaches may or may not be topless frienldly but not at hotel beaches. You only have to be embarrassed once to never forget this.
Dont leave anything in your rental car.
Orient Beach is very busy with lots of restraunts and bars along it and activity to like jet skiis, parasailing, waterskiing to name a few.
Cupcoy Beach is the only Dutch beach where you can get away without a suit.
Sunset Beach Bar great for plain watching.
Buccaneer Beach Bar fun bar for sundowners.
Awesome food all over the island.
Theres a minimart at Belair and a major grocery very close to you.
Remember if dining on French side the Euro makes it very expensive.
Have fun.

Posted by: Az Guy (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 10:42AM

- Ride the Rhinos, Sail to Prickly Pear Island on the Bluebeard, shop in Phillipsberg and Marigot, see the show at Cher's Cafe (once), Drinks at the Red Paino and Soprano's also, watch the 747 take off at Sunset Beach Bar, drink a BBC with Wanda at Bucaneer Beach Bar, Eat at a LoLo, snorkel thru the cave at Baie Rouge, Day drinking at CliffHangers.

Then on the second day..... lol

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 04, 2008 11:42AM

daily happy hour at Greenhouse Restaurant on the boardwalk. nice setting. 2 for 1.
definitely rent a car.
large grocery store a 5 minute drive away at the roundabout ..named Le grand Marche
golf at Mullet Bay only. course not in very good condition.
get a copy of K-Pasa when you get here.. lists live music and events all over the island.
take a day trip to Anguilla if you have the time..ferry leaves from marigot every half hour or so. go hang out on Shoal bay in Anguilla for a day..awesome beqch.

never ever leave anything in your car and just to be safe, don't walk with a lot of bling bling.
go to the lo los in grand Case and have some delicious ribs and johnny cakes......a st. Maarten speciality.
If you are here in early April, check to see if Harmony Nights in Grans Case is still going on. It is held every Tuesday and is a great street party.
I think it stops mid April.
and, most of all, enjoy!

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 12:22PM

Susan, here is the Belair site; [www.belairbeach.com] arrive there this Sat. Will be our 20+ time there. I think it is on one of the best swimming beaches on the island. Staff there are great.
Hotel is quiet. Next door is Divi Little Bay which gives you more to do without going too far.
Some people say the place is dated. Could be by some standards, but so am I.So what! place is clean and well kept. The one down side I have is the second bedroom; small with a double bed.
Beach chairs are set up,and tagged with your room# when you first go th the beach.Never have to get to beach early to get chairs. You have a big balcony overlooking the beautiful sea.
You will like it!
The Gingerbread cafe is good. Has a 2 for 1 happy hour. Activities lady, Lorna is very nice and helpful. Car rental is also ok.

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 12:30PM by Augie.

Posted by: irina (---.z169-104-66.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 06:22PM

Wow Augie, Lorna is still there? LOL
Why do you think it's a good swimming beach? I thought it was rocky. It is calmish though.
To the original poster, IMHO think the Prickly Pear trip is overrated. I agree with Barbara about doing Anguilla day trip. It's easy, another country and will make you want to return for an Anguilla trip. Just remember you need your passport to go there.
Cheers and have a great time.
irina

Posted by: kim (---.dhcp.nwtn.ct.charter.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 08:19PM

I thought prickley pair was sucky!!! the sailing part is fun, the snorkeling, okay, but it really irked me when we got to the beach - there were a bunch of beach chairs and you had to pay for them!!!! I was like WTF, we are only here for what - 1-2 hours? and we get to eat so that takes up some of the time! Why they don't include chairs in the trip IDK - cheap!!! Years ago, well almost 16 because I was pregnant with my daughter, they included the chairs, we went back 2 years ago and they didnt!

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 09:38PM

"Why do you think it's a good swimming beach? I thought it was rocky."
It hasen't been rocky in years.It was only rocky after some storms years ago. Even then if you looked, you could walk in and out with no problem mon!

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: Katie (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 11:49PM

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what part of the island to stay on? There will be a group of 6 of us women who are going there to celebrate a 40th bday. We want to relax and do activities like golf and sail. Any thoughts on a property? Thanks

Posted by: WWII (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2008 10:19AM

Check out LaTerrasse, Maho, the Towers. Walking distance to golf. Check out Celine for sailing.

Posted by: irina (---.z169-104-66.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 02:33PM

Well then that's the answer! I didn't like the beach and never went back in all these years! LOL
Thanks
Cheers
irina

Posted by: Barbara Rose (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 11:34PM

Does anyone have the receipy for a B.B.C. I had some in Feb. when I was on St. Martin. They were delish. I would love to have one right now...but alas I lack the receipy. Is there anyone out there that can help me? Thank you in advance.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |