The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

St. Maarten for Our Honeymoon?..
Posted by: IndyRob (65.167.16.---)
Date: October 25, 2007 02:56PM

We are going on our honeymoon in April of next year. We are looking at the Westin St. Maarten Dawn Beach Resort. Any opinions on this resort and the Island in general would be great. How's the food, nightlife, etc.

Our other options are Aruba or St. Thomas.

Also, how close the the airport is the Westin? Can you hear the planes land?

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2007 06:12PM by IndyRob.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Maarten for Our Honeymoon?..
Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2007 06:22PM

IndyRob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are going on our honeymoon in April of next
> year. We are looking at the Westin St. Maarten
> Dawn Beach Resort. Any opinions on this resort

It's expensive, and probably needlessly so, with regard to quality, due to a lot of other choices on the island.

Unlike Aruba, where your options are pretty much restricted to the big "chain like" hotels, St Martin/St Maarten offers mostly smaller "Caribbean like" hotels.

I'd recommend this hotel: [www.lesplanade.com] but it's certainly not the only hotel on the island that's suitable for the -price range/quality- you're looking at.

Ed

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2007 06:27PM by Ed (nine510).

Posted by: Drew (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2007 10:07PM

Aruba and St. Thomas are pretty mainstream. If you're looking to have a honeymoon like 90% of your friends, those are good options (I'd choose St. Thomas over Aruba... more lush, less desert).

However if you want to have a more unique honeymoon... different from the mainstream Caribbean destinations, St. Martin is a good bet. I agree with Ed -- the Westin is one of the newest and most expensive hotels on the island. There are plenty of others that are nearly as nice and don't cost as much. Since you'll be on the beautiful St. Martin beaches 90% of your time, not sure why anyone would want to stay at a top-dollar hotel.

Dawn Beach is about a 20- or 30-min drive from the airport (depending on traffic), so you shouldn't hear planes.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 11:10AM

I can think of a lot of reasons for staying at the Westin. Great deals out there right now or maybe they have weston points or memebership. Or maybe they can afford to and dont think its that expensive? They love Dawn Beach?
Dawn Beach Westin might not appeal to all of you and particularly if you loved the area before the megahotel was built but its new its nice and its got a lot of things a honeymoon couple would want. Believe it or not there are those who love the full service hotel idea and would rather spend the bucks at a new name hotel rather than an older high end place like LaSammanna or L'Esplanade no matter how nice it is or a naked beach location like the better places along Orient Beach. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks?

Posted by: IndyRob (---.deloitte.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:08PM

Thanks for the input. Yes, the main reason for the Westin would be my Starwood status and points, I can get 5 free nights at the Westin. We are lookin at other optiions possibly for the other 3 nights we would be there.

One additional question i have about STM; how is transportaton around the island? Should we rent a car? If we want to go out a couple nights to restaruant/bar, is it easy? Thansk.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2007 12:29PM

yes, you should definitely rent a car. and please do go out at night and sample some of the wonderful St. maarten restaurants.

Posted by: hofstetter (---.net)
Date: October 26, 2007 01:16PM

The Westin hotel is beautiful and Dawn beach also. You are pretty far from the airport (15 minutes) and should be no airport noise. You will need a car to travel around the island.

Enjoy and good lick!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 26, 2007 10:07PM

Dear H-stetter...let's be close to realistic with answers here. 15 minutes...from the airport to the Westin? You must be kidding. With NO traffic at all...it would take more than 15 minutes going the speed limits. IndyRob...minimun 30 minutes and a lot more if you don't know where you're going !!! spike

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |