- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: A Little Travlin' Music
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2007 02:20PM

yes, there still are many stories to be told about people who have lost everything. Those wonderful old New Orleans jazz musicians are just one example.
It's very sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 02:21PM by Barbara1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ed (nine510) (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 04:20PM

I think I've been threadjacked.

Ed

Posted by: bettenan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 07:34PM

Geez Ed...I looked at the date and realized it was a 21 year old music video...
now I really feel old, especially with them celebrating American Bandstand's
55th anniversary.

Hey...I only remember the Dick Clark era...honest and I was a ittle kid. But seriously, I did know kids that had older siblings that danced on the show.

Posted by: Oldtimer (12.16.111.---)
Date: August 09, 2007 08:06PM

Ed, How'd you get threadjacked? You offered travelling music and I don't see any connection to travelling; I offered an alternative (Now if you had videos of Three Days In A Leaky Boat or Take The Weather With you...). Since you wanted to bring a motive into it, I provided a motive.

Brabara, there are others that I could offer. I'm not trying to exclude everyone else from New Orleans in what they went through, but the music is half of the culture, the food being the other. The food can't bring the city back, but the music can. The musicians want to bring the city back; they need to bring the city back. They will revive it to what it was/is.

On a positive note, there are efforts by individuals to help.

There is a group called the Threadheads. Yeah, it's called an organization, but it's just people from the US and around the world looking to help. They had initially just setup a raffle to raise money by holding a raffle of goods provided by New Orleans businesses and musicians. The proceeds went to the New Orleans Musicians Clinic.

There's also the New Orleans Music Relief Fund. Watch this site and just vote if you want to help.

New Orleans Relief Fund

They've now expanded into just raising money from donations to give to SilenceIsViolence which is a group in New Orleans that is trying to change things around in the recovery. One of the activities they offer is a musicclinic for children. The Threadheads will take the donations and give it to them so that any child who partakes in the music clinic can go to Jazz Fest for a day next year.

Threadheads

After all if we can't sae the music of New Orleans, we may not be able to save the city. If we can't provide the children with a musical background, we may never have another Trombone Shorty from Treme.

Jazz Ascona

Bette, enjoy!!!!

O Holy Night

Merry Christmas, Ed!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2007 08:25PM by Oldtimer.

Posted by: bettenan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 08:30PM

Thanks Oldtimer...you made my night (of course more tears)
My last visit (one of many wonderful trips) to New Orleans was shortly before Katrina, on a work trip.
It was splendid as usual. I have not been back since and my husband has never had the pleasure...a trip is in our future..

Posted by: Oldtimer (12.16.111.---)
Date: August 09, 2007 09:28PM

Bette, you don't have to go to New Orleans to help. Unfortunately for them, but fortunately for everyone else, those musicians that still perform have been forced to travell to find work. Just in New England alone, these acts have been/will be here this summer:

Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Rebirth Brass Band
Papa Grows Funk
Tab Benoit
Sonny Landreth
Marcia Ball
Beausoliel
Shemika Copeland
Porter, Batiste & Stoltz
The Radiators

These performers put their all into the shows and it's all New Orleans. We saw PBS a couple of weeks ago. They started at 10:00 and finished at 2:00.

Save the music, save the culture, save the city.

Thanks for the opening to the soapbox, Ed!

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 10:18PM

Oldtimer, as Bettenan said 'you are right'. My heart goes out to all these musicians and the people of New Orleans. We have not been there since the day before Katrina hit when we were evacuated from there. I'm hoping to get back again some day.

Annie

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |