The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Drinking Water
Posted by: Jack and Linda (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 11:36AM

How's the drinking water???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drinking Water
Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 11:47AM

Good on Dutch Side not so good on French Side.

Annie

Posted by: Huntfishwow (38.113.90.---)
Date: July 31, 2007 12:17PM

On the French & Dutch sides there is no need to worry about tap water. Tap water is pefectly safe for drinking, showering, brushing teeth, making ice, washing dishes, and rinsing foods.

Tap water is desalinated and purified on the island. The process is expensive, so most hotels/resorts stress water conservation.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2007 12:42PM

all of the above are accurate.
it really does taste better on the Dutch side for some reason

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 01:02PM

I agree Barbara. While I know in my mind it is safe, all the tap water I have had on the French side had a "taste" to it. Not so on the Dutch side. Don't know why, but there it is.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 01:58PM

Barbara is usually always spot on so I'm guessin' shes right about this one to but I have seen and met a lot of folks on the French side who advise NOT to drink the water so is it possible some areas of that side aren't as good as others? Just curious because I heard this from residents and guests alike. I would never have any qualms of drinking the desalinated water on the Dutch side and often buy a few bottles of water and refill and freeze them for the beach from our condo tap water.

Posted by: Az Guy (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 05:13PM

We normally buy bottled water for drinking and use the tap water for Coffee and Cooking. I've drank the tap water and there is nothing wrong with it - just a slightly salty taste.

~~ Once you've slept on an island, you'll never be the same ~~
2008 St Maarten Pics

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 12:02PM

There are places on the island that get their water from a cistern. I wouldn't drink that! I don't imagine any of the reputable resorts and hotels are in that situation, tho!

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 12:25PM

Elaine, thank you. I wonder if some of the private rentals might be tho and thats why so many worry about this. For twentyfive years I only drank the desalinated tap water but for a few bottles to freeze and take to the beach but I always wonder about this and if you dine out no one offers cold water from a pitcher that I noticed. It's always bottles of sparkling or flat water your offered.

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 05:27PM

Anon, for years we stayed at a condo on Beacon Hill that got their water from a cistern and we had no problem at all with drinking that water. And as for dining out...we have asked for tap water instead of bottled water (at times) and got that on the Dutch Side. Only once or twice did they bring tap water on the French Side.

Annie

Posted by: hofstetter (---.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 01:46PM

Tap water is good so don't waste your money on bottled water. It costs more than beer.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |