The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Just Back
Posted by: Kathy (---.uncpa.unc.edu)
Date: July 06, 2007 11:30AM

Just returned for a short but wonderful trip to St. Maarten. Stayed at Oyster Bay - was fabulous as usual.

Restaurants:

Had many excellent meals, one of the highlights of which was breakfast and lunch at Big Fish (on marina side of Dawn Beach - across from Mr. Busby's). The menu is perfect, food and atmosphere are wonderful. Highly recommend! The restaurant is open for dinner as of yesterday.

Also had really nice meals at Beau Beau's, Enoch's, Gutside, Barefoot Terrace and Chesterfield's. Beau Beau's has consistently great food and is a gorgeous setting. The whole snapper at Barefoot Terrance was great.

Had dinner two nights in a row at Thabba Kaddy. Incredible menu and setting. Presentation and quality of food is magnificent.

Went for a drink at Fathom's - neat set-up and folks there seemed to be having a great time.

Only bad thing about the whole trip was the flights. Delayed on the way down by a day because of US Airways chaos. Delayed on way back in Charlotte for 2 hours. Decided to drive instead of waiting. I will avoid flying US Airways whenever possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just Back
Posted by: Elizabeth (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 07:43AM

Glad you had a good trip! Everyone keeps talking about Thabba Kaddy but are the foods spicy and/or exotic? Hubby is a meat and potato kind of guy and I'm sure he would be put off by the menu if this were the case. In other words, does a person have to have a wide range of palette to enjoy the food there?

Thanks for the report.

Posted by: eddie (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 03:51PM

Hey, the more you post the easier the math gets!
Hi,
We just got back also, & I am a meat & pot. guy too. We found great meals for me @ Cheri's in Maho area and @ Greenhouse Rest @ end of Front Street, the main Cruise line shopping area. Have fun and remind hubby, he ain't gonna starve to death on SXM!

Posted by: Kathy (---.uncpa.unc.edu)
Date: July 09, 2007 09:21AM

Thabba Kaddy had several steak, pork & lamb options - they come with interesting sauces, but I'm sure they would leave that off upon request

Posted by: fabila (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 14, 2007 09:16AM

Where is Fathom, and what is it? Full restaurant, or only bar with appetizers? Appreciate any additional information as I will be in the Dawn Beach Area for a few days on my upcoming trip and would like to check it out. Thank you.

Posted by: Clark (---.arc5.atlnga1.dasdial.com)
Date: July 14, 2007 09:30PM

Fathom is on airport road across---- duh-- from the airport--- had a few brewskis there in May while my wife was getting hair and nails done at Marie Antoinette Salon--- Maries- is right next door to La Guna Restaurant---and Fathom is a few doors down(up) the road toward Maho--- met the owner-- nice guy-- menu looked pretty basic-- they did have curried goat as a lunch special-- if that means anything--chbpod

Posted by: E. Cooke (206.61.187.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 11:27AM

We returned Tuesday PM and had a similar bad experience with US Airways. We had to connect at Charlotte for a 10:00 flight down to Miami (I know, it's a weird itinerary, but there you go). US Airways had scheduled at least 3 or 4 other flights within the half-hour of our flight. Once we were on the plane and pushed back from the gate, we sat on the tarmac for nearly 2 hours. The pilot finally announced that the Charlotte airport regularly closes down to a single runway and we were at the tail end of a line of 25 or so other flights.

In other words, the delay was TOTALLY PREDICTABLE and not related to any anomaly of traffic, weather, or otherwise. So, why would US Airways schedule a flight when it had to know -- well in advance -- that it could not meet that schedule? There's only one reason, folks... the suits at US Airways knew perfectly well that a realistic schedule would've meant listing our flight as a midnight takeoff (or not scheduling it at all). In either case, they'd have sold fewer tickets. The airline is simply charging money for one schedule and delivering a quite different schedule. This bespeaks US Airways' withering contempt for its customers, and is not likely to change until (unless) there is some regulation that makes it financially painful for the airlines to practice such deceptive scheduling.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |