The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Mullet Bay of Thieves - Robbed by Local Woman
Posted by: maryann (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 20, 2007 05:17PM

I’ve been visiting SXM since 1994. I have never run into a problem but on Saturday May 12, 2007 I was robbed on the beach at Mullet Bay by a local woman who mingled among the crowd with a young boy. They appeared to be just another family at the beach for the afternoon. People were seated on either side of me and the beach was full of visitors as well as local families. At bout 2:30 PM I packed my beach bag and went to rinse my feet. I was within sight of my chair and the local woman was standing along the shore. As I started out of the water, she ran to my chair grabbed all of my things and ran off towards the trees with the boy. I yelled stop her she is taking my bag. Several men tried to catch up with her but she had a car and driver waiting on the dirt road. They took off to the left, toward the French side. The thief had run off with, a small amount of cash, my rental car keys, my prescription eye glasses, key to my room, and rented cell phone. Some kindly tourists drove me to my car rental company, Unity. Michael and Joseph were as always wonderful. They immediately provided me with a new car.

I went to the Police sub station at Simpson Bay to report the incident. That experience was one for the books. A man in uniform scratched a few notes on a torn piece of paper, and then told me I had to talk to a detective. There are no detectives available at the sub station. They are in Phillipsburg. I was standing there, covered with sand, no money, no ID and he expected me to go find a detective in Phillipsburg. He then said something about having a detective contact me as he sent me on my way. At that point, he had not asked me for my name or what was taken from me. Only after I said to him, excuse me don't you want to know my name? He replied, oh yes realizing he had forgotten to ask.

Thankfully, a detective did contact me that evening. He said he would file a report. Then on Monday May 14 I found out via tourists who were on Mullet Bay the day of the incident that the thief was identified by two local witnesses who work on the beach. I spent several days trying to reach the police to provide the additional the information. I was informed the detective was off for 2 days and no one else would take the info, because it was his case. The day he was to return to work was a government holiday, so no luck reaching anyone. After a week of waiting I finally saw the detective again on Friday May 18. He informed me that the name of the woman was provided by witnesses on May 14 but she had not yet been questioned or arrested. I left SXM on May 19, my week of vacation quite not as expected.

I have heard many complaints about the lack of police presence and careless handling of issues. Now I have seen first hand that the Dutch Police are far from being what they need to be. Tourism is the number one business in SXM. Local business people shake their heads in disgust at the lack of security on the beaches and other areas frequented by SXM’s number one revenue source. It makes me sad to realize that non caring attitude within the government and the lack of support for victims of crime is dragging down the economy and hurting the many good hard working people like the beach vendors on Mullet Bay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mullet Bay of Thieves - Robbed by Local Woman
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 20, 2007 07:53PM

maryann,

I am so sorry to hear of this happening but the good news is you are personally okay and were not directly physically harmed. Your possessions being taken is a really crummy thing to have happen and particularly on vacation but in the finaly analysis, things are just that and can ultimately be replaced.

This sounds almost like a situation that was occurring a year ago at LeGalleon Beach but the good news, if there is any from a situation such as this, is that she was known by name and ultimately, she should be brought to punishment. I hope you're able to stay in contact with the island police and not let the matter drop off their radar now that you're back at home.

Good luck and again, my sympathies that something of this nature happened and the police response was such as it was. That's the real crime of the situation, IMHO.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 08:06PM

SHAME ON THE POLICE!!! I guess we can't turn our heads even for a minute. Lesson learned. Glad you weren't hurt!!

TOURISM OFFICIALS: LISTEN UP!!!

:-D Contessa

Date: May 20, 2007 08:35PM

Thanks Pat and Contessa....I know now that the Police sub station at Simpson Bay is a joke. It might as well be a McDonalds....They were completely useless.

Even the detective was annoyed with the behavior of the sub station staff....but one concerned detective cannot fix the problems in SXM, the government in general needs to start caring.

I just hope that the tourism office wakes up soon. Our beautiful island is going down hill fast and furious. That makes me more angry than ever. My bag and its contents were probably trashed somewhere. I gave my e-mail address to the detective...I will be surprised to hear any news. The law is not on the side of the good guy in SXM.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: May 20, 2007 08:59PM

shame on the police is right.
They are ridiculous.
what an attitude they have.
I know they are understaffed but the attitude is ridiculous.
you should publish this in the newspaper maryann. email it to them.

Daily Herald
E-mail Address(es):
editorial@thedailyherald.com

Daily Herald
E-mail Address(es):
dherald@sintmaarten.net

Today
E-mail Address(es):
editor@saintmartintoday.com

Date: May 20, 2007 09:22PM

Thanks Barbara

I posted on the Herald earlier today. I will also contact St Martin Today.....

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |