The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Airport
Posted by: Marguerite (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: May 08, 2007 04:21PM

Hello All, we'll be returning to our beautiful island next week & just wondering how the new airport is - I'm really suprised to hear that it's all finished & while I look forward to seeing it, I think I'll miss unboarding down the steps onto the hot tarmac & being greeted by the steel band - anyway, so looking forward to our 10 days in our home away from home & hope the weather's good

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Airport
Date: May 08, 2007 04:23PM

forgot to ask - where are the car rentals located now?

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2007 06:20PM

Marguerite,

We used the new airport two weeks ago, and believe me, even though it's a change, it's not a bad one for sure. We flew American and used one of the four jetways and I have to tell you, the entire airport process in both directions was wonderful.

I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to where the car rentals were but our particular company told us to go out a specific door and cross the walkway (carefully, ever so carefully...) and he'd spot us and he was right there waiting for us with our paperwork and our car.

I think you'll be pleased with the airport over all and the departure was wonderful. Plenty of clean and operating rest rooms and lots of seats in a large and air conditioned area.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2007 11:15PM

Major car rental kiosks are in the terminal area after baggage pick up. You pick up rental car vans and taxis to the right as you come out of baggage claim. Sooo much "smoother" than in the past...the buses, taxis, vans, etc. have room to manuever now.

Date: May 09, 2007 11:22AM

Pat & Spike, thank you both so much for the info - we're flying in on AA too out of JFK & look forward to seeing the new airport - i'm sure the new airport is much nicer, it's just funny how sometimes you miss how things were - like remember when the bridge was 1 lane? mullet bay was really fantastic, but so crowded? and now i suppose i'll wax poetic about the little airport & the steel drum band (altho i really don't like airports ever! ;-))

can't wait to get to our little paradise!

Posted by: JustMe (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 10, 2007 01:56AM

It's not new airport - just a new terminal.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: May 10, 2007 02:12PM

Semantics, Just me. Semantics.

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2007 02:18PM

I think I'd call it a "new" airport. Why not? It's not where the old one was. That's torn down. Sure, the runway is the same, but eveything else is brand spanking "new"!!

Pauline

Date: May 10, 2007 08:04PM

Marguerite,

I agree on all topics and my sincere hope is that someday Mullet Bay will be back, probably not as we knew it, but newer and better and more beautiful than ever.

Regarding whether it's a new airport, or a new terminal - whatever!! It's a lovely new building and is certainly a huge improvement over the old one and I personally don't think, in the over all scheme of things, it's much of a big deal whichever way you refer to it.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: charlieh (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2007 08:29PM

Just went through it on the way to and from St Barts. Much, much nicer than the old one. Rental car desks are downstairs. Halfway decent restaurant upstairs and a nice rum bar. Fast food places downstairs.

Connecting to SBH was a breeze.

Posted by: Marguerite (---.si.res.rr.com)
Date: May 13, 2007 09:22PM

thanks again to all for the info - pat, as always, you're so kind - as for airport vs. terminal, same difference - just wanted info on the new place & glad u were all so kind as to provide it - this time tomorrow we'll be in sxm!

Posted by: JustMe (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 13, 2007 10:18PM

I so miss the old Terminal. Several air attendants summed it up well - it's the loss of the caribbean atmosphere upon arrival and departure. So true.

Initially, I missed the outdoor area after passing thru immigration - having a cold one and still being able to soak up the sun before boarding. It extended the vaca - now the vaca is over driving up to the new Terminal - it's like arriving at any other airport - nothing special.

The restaurant on the second floor of the old Terminal was special - also now gone - the hamburgers - to die for. Something else that kept the vaca going until you saw the islands from the air.

Having been on the second departure from the new Terminal, arrival - I can only imagine the loss. First, I never got use to the bus from the plane - but not to be outdoors until after you get you luggage????

Progress is inevitable, unavoidable - some progress is out of place. The new Terminal is out of place and goes way beyond this already over-built rock in the sea.

Posted by: pasnyder (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2007 06:46AM

I agree with you that the isalnd is already over built, and it continues. There are some pluses to the new terminal though. No longer do you have to stand in line at check-in sweating profusely. And, in the terminal area it used to be hard finding a seat as you waited for a plane. The toilets all work now too. (so far!)

Did they have to build an airport so large? Well, at the rate the island is being developed, I guess they had to.

Pauline

Date: May 16, 2007 06:56PM

Marguerite,

I'm guessing you're the same Marguerite I've been in touch with regarding The Towers. If so, sorry I didn't get to wish you a good trip before you left but I hope it was all you anticipated.

Respectfully,

pat

sxm
Posted by: Marguerite (---.si.res.rr.com)
Date: June 04, 2007 09:15PM

hi pat, yes i'm the same - we had a fabulous 2 wks in sxm at the towers & i've returned tanned & relaxed - the airport/terminal was much more comfortable tho i do confess a bit of nostalgia for the old place - i'm amazed at all the new condos springing up & can only imagine the traffic jams in hi season - glad we go at a less visited time of year

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |