The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Trouble in paradise
Posted by: LennynRose (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 11:32AM

I'm wondering if anyone got to read last week's Wall Street Journal's article about the trouble with crime in Jamaca and the Carribean .

Obviously drugs had a lot to do with the enormous rise in crimes.

The cost of these crimes are now starting to effect tourism. So here comes the vicious circle of declining tourism.

The one thing that was pointed out is, that the islands supposedly do not have the resources to combat the problem and that local governments are not being proactive to provide more police.

I did like the article in the Daily Herald that told of a movement in Phillipsburg to put cameras on the corners. Unfortunately, if you used London as an example, most crime will then move to other areas not under the lens.

We've been going to SXM since 1992, and I'll never forget the way things were after the two big hurricanes in the same year. The friendly island wasn't so friendly. OK, let me rephase that. Some times that bad memories stay with you longer than the good ones because you have taken them for granted.

And NO I'm not picking on SXM, crime in my city has gone up also. We have a lot of senseless murders too.

Lenny

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |