The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

rental cars
Posted by: Monkey (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 28, 2007 07:07PM

We're returning to SXM after a 4 year absence - wondering who the best companies are for rental cars? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rental cars
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2007 09:41PM

Thrifty...reliable, hassle-free and cheap.

Posted by: Rip (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 10:30AM

do not rent from "Payless" charged $300.for a dent that i didn't do.
make sure you top the gas tank when returning car. i was charged $15. for 1/8 tank, hash mark.......... in dispute.

Riptide

Posted by: EbenCooke (---.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 12:52PM

Do not rent from "Paradise". HUGE charge tacked on for non-existent "accident" (no police report or any other documentation). Had long hassle to get it fixed on Visa charge. Because my credit card company fixed the charge for me, Paradise still reaped the reward of its scam and has every incentive to continue it.

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: January 29, 2007 02:53PM

There are very good local agencies. I use Kennys, bruce@sintmaarten.net but I here good stuff about Triple A, Unity, Tropical, St. Louis. Many people seem to prefer local companies over the big guys but theres Hertz, AVis and Budget to.

Posted by: EbenCooke (---.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 05:22PM

I have not used Avis, Hertz, or Budget on St Maartin; however, my bad experience with Paradise taught me a nasty lesson about relying on the big corporate names. I made my initial reservation with Paradise via the corporate website of National/Alamo car rental, because my past experiences with National had been good and I wanted to rely on their corporate reputation. It turns out that Paradise is an "independent" (as opposed to "franchised") operation that somehow, just uses the corporate logo and reservation system of National/Alamo. Their web-based reservation system makes no mention of this distinction, which turns out to be very important.

When I first tried to rectify the problem via the international office of Alamo, they freely acknowledged that it appeared to be a case of fraud on the part of Paradise. However, they said the National/Alamo corporation had no ethical obligation and no responsibility whatever for it. Too bad their reservation system did not include any disclaimer to that effect! You can bet I'll never rent through National/Alamo anywhere on the planet after that news!

I have no reason to suspect any of the other big companies would be so unethical.

But, caveat emptor!

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2007 07:44PM

EbenCooke,

It's a little too late for you but for what it's worth for the OP, over quite a few years now I and my family have had much good luck renting from Lesley Bruce of Kenny's Car Rentals. He meets us at the airport WITH OUR CAR and we do the paperwork right there and we're done with the whole issue until day of departure when we meet him back at the airport to surrender the car. It doesn't come much easier than that, or at least not in my book. And for the record, I know there are lots of other very good companies, too, but we've had such positive experiences with Lesley Bruce there's just been no need for us to look elsewhere of late.

Good luck with your rental and be prepared for incredible changes if you haven't been back to the island for a few years.

Have a great trip.

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: Az Guy (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 04:30PM

My vote is for Unity Car Rental. One email and it's done.

~~ Once you've slept on an island, you'll never be the same ~~
2008 St Maarten Pics

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 05:12PM

Pat, I second you on Lesley Bruce. Great guy and wonderful service.

Annie

Posted by: BrendaB (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:38PM

Monkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We're returning to SXM after a 4 year absence -
> wondering who the best companies are for rental
> cars? Thanks

Kenny's & Unity are both very good!

Posted by: ob pat (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 08:39PM

Monkey, Check with Sugarray, she can give you good advice

Posted by: Louise (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2007 06:19AM

Would like to know how to reach this person to rent a car in May. Can you give me an email address or phone number? Thanks, have been using Alain Arnell for years, maybe time to try someone else.

Posted by: San Diego (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 10:55AM

We used Unity on our visit in 2005 and they were outstanding. I rent cars several times a year for business and these guys are the best. You can rent a cell phone from them for $4.00 a day. You can't go wrong!

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 12:47PM

aS I said in a earlier post we always use Leslie Bruce for our rental car because we get to pick the car up at the airport. Best phone rentals on the island are from Sharon Harris - Queen of St. Maarten. Wish I knew her website but prices are good and she has all over the island service and coverage.

Re: rental cars // REYNOLDS CARS in SUCKER GARDEN
Posted by: annarchy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2007 07:54PM

hi there,
just stay away from Reynolds Car Rental in Sucker Garden!!!!
They are an abomination & should be shut down:
No seat belts, no horns in the cars, doors falling apart, windows
that dont go up or down...need i say more??

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |