The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Going in March
Posted by: Grumpy (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2007 02:19PM

We, Mrs and, I will be on SXM for two weeks in March. We haven't been on the French side in 4 years. Never did care for Orient. Is there any reason to go back?

Grumpy:
Had to give up my job as an animated cartoon character.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2007 02:22PM by Grumpy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Going in March
Posted by: sunsetsinsxm (---.lambbarnosky.com)
Date: February 07, 2007 03:26PM

I will also be in SXM in March. The hotel at which I stay is always on the Dutch side, but I always go to the French side for the beaches, as well as a few lunches and dinner. What the heck, you haven't been there in 4 years -- why not try it again. I heard "Tuesday Nights" (a/k/a Harmony Nights) in Grand Case is a lot of fun. Enjoy your trip!!

Posted by: ted (---.msn.com)
Date: February 14, 2007 02:36PM

how could anyone not like orient? is it the nudity?Is it the commercialization? what?

Date: February 14, 2007 05:59PM

Ted, "is it the nudity?Is it the commercialization? what?"
Both, and then some!

Date: February 14, 2007 06:06PM

Thanks, but with the euro exchange and travel time, we will stay once again on the Dutch side. Mostly the same water, and one of the best swimming beaches(little bay). Sand gravity does have more to do with the ting these days.

Posted by: ed (---.msn.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 04:25PM

grumpy i suggest you stay home. i cannot believe that someone does not like orient beach. there is something for everyone. if you dont like the nudity stay away from the club orient side. also there are many other beaches that have nudity(on dutch side also). do you hate them too?

Posted by: annie (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:13PM

Ed, I don't like Orient Beach either but I still go to SXM, been going for over 20 years now. To my way of thinking Orient is just too commercial for my taste. I'll take Mullet any day.

Annie

Date: February 15, 2007 07:49PM

Ed said; "also there are many other beaches that have nudity(on dutch side also). do you hate them too?" Yes I do. There should be no nudity on any other beach than one part or Orient.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 15, 2007 08:00PM

ed,

I'm with Annie and Grumpy with a bit of a twist.

There was a time when I truly felt Orient Beach was perhaps the most incredibly beautiful beach on the island of St. Martin/St. Maarten and it was never all about the clothing optional but about the natural beauty of that particular beach. Today it's over-developed and over-peopled and the atmosphere just isn't there. If you're not there to party or be naked or to enjoy all the water toys and activities, it just doesn't cut it anymore in my book. If I want that kind of an atmosphere I could easily find it right here in the States without spending all that time and money travelling to St. Martin. For my money, I'll take Mullet anyday although even that is rapidly becoming considerably less pristine than I would prefer.

And for the record, you won't find nudity on that many Dutch beaches - topless perhaps - but nudity is not the norm on most Dutch beaches.

And Grumpy, for as many years back as I can remember which is at least 34 that we've been visiting the island, Cupecoy has always been a Dutchside destination where clothing optional and alternate lifestyles were openly enjoyed.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: Gerry (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 10:06AM

Grumpy,

Please stay on the Dutch side. I don't want to run into you on my vacation. Enjoy your hamburgers, time share presentation, ordinary pizza, over-hyped below average food and bumper to bumper traffic. Love an area where it takes 90 minutes to travel 3 miles................I will be on the French side....gourmet meals, beautiful beaches, no traffic jams, and beautiful women.

Date: February 16, 2007 10:42AM

Gerry,
You have a deal. Please note that my Dutch Side experiance is very far removed from your discription.
I remain,Grumpy

Date: February 16, 2007 10:47AM

Pat said; "And Grumpy, for as many years back as I can remember which is at least 34 that we've been visiting the island, Cupecoy has always been a Dutchside destination where clothing optional and alternate lifestyles were openly enjoyed."

Yes I know, we don't go there either.
all the best,
Grumpy

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 12:19PM

Gerry, you gotta get real. Its pretty clear from your writings you know nada about Dutch st maartin these days. About the only thing you got right is the traffic in some places but its no better in marigo. Theres awesome food all over the dutch side and no Euro or wondering about whether you're being had on the tipping nonsense. So you could go to orient and watch the nudies eating their burgers at a NewJersey style beach eatery but why? Most timeshare hawkers arefrenchies on motor scooters coming over to the dutchside to hawk their scratchoffs. I think you gotta do a reality check.

Posted by: mikentara (---.152.54.9.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2007 02:55PM

The only reason we go to Orient is to eat fresh mussels & great sandwiches at the NJ Style eatery! They are colorful, fantastic people and we enjoy seeing them each year. There are so many beautiful beaches on SXM, I wouldn't limit myself to Dutch Side Only! Or, Orient, for that matter. Our favorite is Pinel.

Posted by: readygo (---.msn.com)
Date: February 16, 2007 08:07PM

if you guys hate nudes go to a british island this (sxm) is a place where nudity is allowed. i am not saying you should participate if not wanted but dont run it down. if you tried it you would not wear textile again.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |