The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

First Visit to St. Maarten
Posted by: Susan (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 05:16PM

We are visiting St. Maarten for the first time in June of 2007. I have been reading through the postings and stumbled on some about people being robbed on the beach and perverts playing with themselves right in front of you. Is this what I am to expect when I get there? This is a family vacation and there will be young children with us,was this a good choice? We are staying at the Royal Palm Resort, is anyone familiar with this resort, can you give me your opinion on it as far as location, quality of the resort, etc. Is it best to stay on the Dutch side or French side? As you can see I have alot of questions so if anyone can fill me in that would be GREAT.

Thanks - Susan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Visit to St. Maarten
Posted by: WWII (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2006 05:52PM

Royal Palm is a good family resort. The pool is fairly shallow, the beach, while not the nicest on the Island, is right next to the resort. The bridge openings are interesting (if it's working when you get there). Several nice beaches are fairly close to you. People swear by both sides of the island. You should rent a car and sample both.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2006 09:16PM

We've been to St. Martin twice and have never had anything stolen from us, nor have we seen the "bushwackers". That said, it pays to be vigilent. Never leave anything in your car, and if you go for a walk on the beach ask your neighbors to keep an eye on your stuff, or carry your valuables with you. Better yet, don't take valuables to the beach.

Posted by: Buddy (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 09:24AM

the Royal Palm Resort is a nice place. We just got back from a week there. friendly staff, updated rooms. a small, but good beach on the property. shopping and places to eat within walking distance. they serve up a good breakfast.

We've been down there a few times and never had any problems with crime. Just remember where you are and pay attention. It's no different than being in a larger city in the US. Get a rental car with french tags. And act like you're at the mall during christmas, don't leave valubles in it when at the beach or dining out.

Get a schedule of the cruise ships arriving in Philipsburg. Go down there when there's no ships in port. It's less crowded. Usually it's a Monday.

Have fun!! It's a great place to visit.

Posted by: dallasrover (---.ps.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 11:35AM

We went the first week in Oct. and had no troubles at all. It is really just a matter of using common sense as you would in the states or anywhere else. As others have said, rent a car so you can see as much of the island as you can. Take the ride out of Cul de Sac to Pinel Island, yuor kids would like that. Both sides of the island are great.

Can't wait to get back...............

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: November 02, 2006 12:21PM

Susan the rumor is there are a few perv who are quite enamoured of themselves but the chances are pretty good you wont be going to the beaches where these creeps hangout with your kids anyway. Avoid Cupecoy and if your not happy with clothing optional Rouge Beach and Orient to. Orient is usually a gentle beach for kids but there is or can be a lot of nudity there depending on how you feel about it. Another great beach for kids is Dvidivi Beach and Great Bay beach in Philipberg as well as Grand Case and LeGallion Beaches. And theres also the beach right at Royal Palm or the beach by Buccaneer Beach Bar. These are all very public beaches and safe from every standpoint and even if there not the best beaches on the island there still not half bad either. Crime is real and it happens just like at home but not a lot and its not the norm. Enjoy yourself. It really is a excellent island.

Posted by: musesxm (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2006 11:00AM

I would not be concerned
I have been to SXM with my wife at least once a year for 10 years and have not experienced either robberies or bushwackers. I do not say they don't occur but I just don't think statistically you will experience this if you take common sense precautions. My rental car approach is to rerequest a functional but old car. In most places I park I do not lock the door and do not leave anything of value.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 03, 2006 07:59PM

Susan,

If this helps at all, we've been visiting St. Maarten for the past 34 years at least once a year. We've never personally experienced any type of crime directly and we've never had to deal with the 'bush people' so many have talked about. That's not to say it doesn't exist because we have seen evidence of it even if we haven't been directly involved.

We stay on the Dutch side of the island but travel the island widely and we like to think we're fairly knowledgeable where the island is concerned. I really think the suggestions you've been given are pretty good ones. If you limit your beaches to the ones that are more peopled (and these are usually the ones that will be safest for your kids also), leave nothing in your car at any time any place, and lastly, don't drag a lot of expensive jewelry with you or flash a lot of cash or valuable items such as expensive cameras unattended on the beach, the chances are you'll have no problems.

My personal beach suggestions for you with your children would be Friar's Bay, Pinel Island, Orient if you have no hang-ups about the nudity thing, LeGalleon Beach and my own favorite, if the waves are not too strong, Mullet Bay Beach. And as others have suggested, the beaches in both Philipsberg and Grand Case are usually very safe and very protected.

Have a wonderful trip. We raised our kids on annual trips to St. Maarten and today they're doing the same thing with their own.

Enjoy,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: rickscott (---.rcc.org)
Date: November 04, 2006 08:12PM

We've been to Cupecoy the past 3 yrs and although we've heard stories, I have never seen any of these locals hanging around. As for crime, common sense is usually the key to avoiding problems.

Alamanda and First Visit
Posted by: sstagnaro (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 03:11PM

Hello,

I have been reading everyones wonderful suggestions, and this boards is great! Aside from my rambling narrative at the beginning of this post I have included my questions at the end, your answers would be very much appreciated!!!

My husband and I will be traveling on our own for the first time since the birth of our daughter last year (we are leaving her at home with Grandma).

We have booked a stay at the Alamanda 1/6-1/13 and am wondering if anyone one has any additional feedback on that particular property. It was not terribly cheap, but we also booked rather late. I hear it is by the Orient beach which is supposed to be nice (we are native to Southern Cal, and now live in northern VA, and REALLY miss the beach).

I am a bit of a foodie and can't wait to sample all of what the island has to offer! I think we wil be renting a car, so we can visit both sides of the island and restaurants. We both like ANY kind of Water activities - Jet Ski, Snorkel, Scuba (though limited, we aren't yet certified), etc. Anyway, we are sooooo excited for our trip!

So here are my questions:

Are there any very special places or great local favorites we should go to to eat?

Any suggestions for the best places or best type of water activities/excursions (I want to go jet skiing, he likes to snorkel).

Suggestions for car rentals?

Unique places for shopping (Maybe with local food items,specialties,arts/crafts, etc.? (and also a place to pick up some cheap souvenirs and some liquor?)

A link to a good map and/or detailed local(non-touristy?) info on the web?

And, as mentioned earlier... feedback on the Alamanda

Posted by: Keith (71.216.201.---)
Date: November 21, 2006 02:16PM

The Royal Palm is lovely and kid friendly. I usually stay there, but this year(Nov 11th-18th) we at Flamingo beach. Common sense goes along ways here as anywhere. There are lots of beaches where you can set-up and avoid the wankers. Do NOT leave any valuables in the vehicle. While we were there, a couple from Bristol, England had their camera, binoculars and fishing gear stolen from the trunk of their rented Carolla. they think this happened at Turtle Pier or in Marigot, but were unsure. Also use your room safe. Note: none of these tips are anything you wouldn't follow anywhere else, so don't ruin your trip with unnecessary worry. the people are great, the food is excellent, and the recreational opportunities are boundless. Just back and already missing SXM.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2006 04:39PM

You can get any watersports you desire on Orient Beach. There are also plenty of nice restaurants on the beach for daytime fare. At night for really great dinners go to Grand Case. My favorites there are Spiga, Le Pressior, and La Alabama. All of the restaurants have their menus posted outside, so you can walk up and down the street and decide where to eat. If you go early (6 or 6:30) you can probably get a table most anywhere without a reservation. Later you might be pushing your luck. Marigot is a good place to shop; there is a local street market there with lots of local wares. While you're there, go to the sidewalk cafe of La Vie on Rose and have lunch, or at least a drink. Their Salade Nicoise is excellent. Their restaurant (upstairs) is my favorite on the island. Ask for a balcony table for dinner. They have superb French food.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |