- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Divi Resort
Posted by: Donnaj (12.31.56.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:12PM

We are going to the hotel for our first ever stay. Can someone provide some feedback on the hotel accomodations? Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Divi Resort
Posted by: Karin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 09:22PM

Do you know if you're staying in a hotel unit or timeshare?.. there's quite a difference between the two. The hotel units (usually labeled Beachfront Double or Beachfront King) are based in 2-story buildings that run parallel with the beach. Although the view is spectacular, the rooms are nothing to write home about. Basic rooms. The Casitas, are located behind the main hotel rooms. More of a garden view, but more privacy. As for the timeshare units (Studios, 1BR, and 2BR), these are located throughout Great Bay side or Little Bay side. There are plusses and minuses to both sides. The Great Bay side rooms are the original timeshare units, built back in the late 1980's. Throughout the years they have had some type of refurbishment, but more patchwork than complete rehab. The Little Bay side rooms were originally hotel units that were converted over any time from 1995 thru now. These units tend to be larger and more kept up. You can get a pretty honest view of the rooms and property by looking at Expedia's Virtual tour as they were down there in August 2004 making it at www.expedia.com. (I tried to paste a link directly to that site, didn't work - sorry)

The studio they show is a newer set-up on the Little Bay side, where as the 1BR suite is one of the older units on the Great Bay side.

The beach by the hotel side, is a tad smoother than the timeshare side. Personally, I'd suggest bringing down a pair of beach shoes as it would make getting into and out of the water easier.

As for the rest of the property the restaurants are good. For Breakfast and Dinner there is Toucan's cafe. Sure, not gourmet food, or anything like that, but still a good value. You can dine inside or outside, depending on your preference. Different nights they have a Lobster buffet and BBQ buffet option. Last year they opened up a beach grill type of restaurant for quick hamburgers and such, or there's always the Sea Breeze cafe where you can have lunch as well. You're in the caribbean, so don't expect speedy service.

Onsite, they have a small fitness room, sundry shop, watersports center, and the Bayview Cafe (pastry's, sandwhiches, and internet access available here).

If its your first time to the island, i recommend renting a car and driving around one day. There is a car company located on premises. Used to be Thrifty (as of last August), not sure if it still is.

One thing worth mentioning, Divi has an agreement with a cruiseline to use their beach (hotel side) certain days of the week. On these days there could be up to 200 extra people there. For the most part, it's not that bad of an intrusion as I stay on the Timeshare beach area. And they're only there from 10ish to 4ish. If you think this would bother you, make that the day you drive around the island exploring some of the other beaches and restaurants the island has to offer.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Karin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2006 09:25PM by Karin.

Posted by: nila (168.214.86.---)
Date: February 22, 2006 03:05PM

How was your experience at Divi? We will be going in July06 staying at the Little Bay Phase2 Timeshare 1 bedroom. Are these the nicer newly renovated timeshares? Should we rent a car at the airport? Is there shuttle service to Divi?

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 03:28PM

Rent a car for airport pickup or take a taxi to Divi and rent one there. You wont want to be without a car cause Divi is a little out of the way from a lot of fun stuff on the island and you'll need wheels to be part of it all.

Date: February 22, 2006 11:12PM

Nila,

I never really hear the resort referred to as phase 1 or phase 2, etc when it comes to units. Do you know what unit you're in?. Based on the way I'm thinking, they're probably up to Phase 5, but that's my logic, not Divi logic.

And yes, I would highly suggest renting a car. If you don't feel comfortable doing it the first day, there is a Thrifty rent a car place right on the property.

Karin

Posted by: nrichmond (168.214.86.---)
Date: February 23, 2006 11:23AM

thanks for all of your quick response!!!! We exchanged through Interval World and their description says Little Bay Beach & Racquet Club-Ph2 1 bed, 1 bath. No one can tell me which unit because its a timeshare, they said we will find out when we arrive. I am hoping its the newly renovated units, the agent got smart which I didnt care for, he said he goes on vacation for the beach and not the furniture. Well, I beg the differ because we bought the timeshare and I want to be as comfortable as possible while I'm in the room.

Date: February 23, 2006 11:26AM

Does anyone know what the cost is for All Inclusive at Divi?

Posted by: rickscott (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2006 11:36AM

Go to the website of Divi properties and I think it explains it there. I did it for a number of meals, not entirely all-inclusive. We figured it was convenient to eat some breakfasts there and on a special night or two when they had entertainment and something special we ate there. You can buy packages that include 3 breakfasts/ 2 dinners etc. The meals are pretty good but let's face it, they are not Grand Case

Date: February 23, 2006 07:01PM

Nila,

Well, good news and bad news.. depending on where you end up, but I have a feeling phase 2 is the older section. Like I said, all depends on Divi logic and how they count their phases. When the timeshares were originally built, they made 4 buildings on the Great Bay side (Buildings 1-4). The next phase, was 4 more buildings still on the Great Bay side (Buildings 5-8). Next and almost simultaneously came buildings 9 & 10 on the Great Bay side, and then 11 & 12 up on the hill. There were plans for a building 13 (and possibly 14) but those never panned out and owners were offered contracts in existing units.. All that took place roughly 1986 thru 1990ish.. Eventually Divi realized timeshares were the way to go and in 1995, they converted hotel units on Little Bay side in building D,E,F & G to timeshares. In 2001ish they converted buldings A & B on Little Bay side to timeshares. And finally, this past year 2005, they completely gutted and remodeled building D again. Like I said, depending on how you count, 5-6 phases.

My guestimate is that you're in building 5-10ish on the Great Bay side. If you want to get a more detailed look at the room, visit the expedia.com website and do the virtual tour. The 1BR listed there is the oldest type you can get with decor and all.

Regardless of where you are, I'm sure you'll have a great time..

Karin.

Date: February 24, 2006 07:48AM

Thanks for your response!!! Wow I didnt realize Divi was that big, from what everyone is saying on this site you cant go wrong at St. Maarten. Everyone seems to have had a wonderful time, I'm sure we will as well. I will be sure and let everyone know how my trip was.

Posted by: scottie (---.rcc.org)
Date: February 24, 2006 02:29PM

I think you'll love Divi too.

Date: February 26, 2006 09:20PM

Divi really isn't that big of a property.. in my opinion just the right size.. with a good combination of hotel rooms, studio's, 1BR's and 2BR's.. spread out nicely down the beach and up the peninsula..

Posted by: davvvy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 07:24PM

Do any of the restaurants at Divi allow you to order and take meals to your room?

Date: August 01, 2006 11:32PM

I don't see why they wouldn't let you do that. I've stayed there before and seen people take leftover's out, so I don't see a difference. Just curious, but why wouldn't you want to eat in the restaurant? They offer both inside and outside dining. So if the weather is an issue with a slight drizzle, or a hot evening, you can always dine inside as well.

Posted by: davvvy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 06:08AM

My wife broke her ankle in two spots last week, and we found out we will be staying on the 2nd our 3rd floor.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |