The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

St. Martin people
Posted by: Rosemary (---.bcpl.net)
Date: July 12, 2004 10:51PM

I am traveling to St. Martins with my son and I was wondering if there are some places that we should go to learn more about the culture and meet the island people. We are really looking forward to snorkeling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Martin people
Posted by: Neil Rooney (65.217.50.---)
Date: July 13, 2004 12:10AM

Libraries on both side of D Island. Museum in Marigot, the Zoo in Philipsburg. The Saturday morning market in Marigot. The Courthouse in Philipsburg. Various art galleries. And MORE

Just Another Ho Hum Day On D Planet

Posted by: contessa (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2004 08:35AM

I agree with Neil. The art galleries have many paintings that depict the island as it was......a wonderful tribute to the past.
Also, a wonderful author, artist and story teller, Ruby Bute has written 2 books that tell it all......' Golden Voices of St. Maarten' and 'Floral Bouquet to the Daughters of Eve'. Just one of the fascinating individuals who help us remember the times as they were. Her paintings are sold throughout SXM and her books available at local bookstores.
Also, visit the ' Old House' on the French side.....the Awarak pottery which is nearby and perhaps a trip to find the ' Coal Man' who still makes charcoal!
Check out the beautiful ' Lacework' ( fretwork) in wood which can be seen throughout SXM along the porches and roof lines......it's an artwork that was quite common. Some of it lives on.....unfortunately not enough. The best example is the ' Guavaberry Emporium' on Front St. in Philipsburg. While there have a sip of history!
Good Luck and enjoy!
xoxox
CONTESSA

I love cooking with wine.......somtimes I even add it to my recipes!!

Posted by: beenthere (149.68.19.---)
Date: July 13, 2004 09:52AM

You will meet various island people easily. Take a taxi ride and ask questions. Most drivers are very knowledgeable about the island and can show you little know places and things. They are generally very entertaining. Visit the butterfly farm and the zoo. The beauty of SXM is that you can go all over the island exploring and meeting people.

Posted by: Andy (---.rightminds.com)
Date: July 13, 2004 12:24PM

For decent snorkeling, you need to go to the calmer water areas. Most of the beaches are a little too choppy to see a lot (though you do see somethings). To see the most fish, sea urchins, conchs, etc., suggest you visit Pinel Island and/or take a half-day sailing trip that includes snorkeling stops.

Posted by: Gerry_Brennen (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: July 13, 2004 12:52PM

Rosemary, scrap the libraries, you can find out all that stuff on the internet.

Talk to the locals, the taxi drivers, the waiters and waitress', the clerks, the bartenders and any other locals that you meet. You'll find out much more about the island as it is today.

Gerry

Posted by: Be Careful (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: July 13, 2004 09:21PM

You might want to check out the Philipsburg Jubilee Library web site, which has a tremendous amount of information about the island and its history and culture:

[www.pjlibrary.an]

Posted by: Joe (---.reverse.newskies.net)
Date: July 13, 2004 10:50PM

How old is your son?

I think that's gonna be key to deciding on fun places to take him and "what people" he'd like to meet. I've had some great bar conversations with locals, but I'd say age is pretty key in that idea.. If he's really young, I think the library has a story time like most in the US and he'd get to meet all sort of kids..

Posted by: Rosemary (---.bcpl.net)
Date: July 13, 2004 11:01PM

Thanks for your suggestions. IWe will definitely take the taxi rides, check out the art museum and the zoo, and go to Pinel. I am hoping we can go to the Cliffside, too.

Posted by: Augie (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 14, 2004 01:04AM

post deleted

Post Edited (07-14-04 10:35)

Augie;

I am an agnostic dyslexic who questions if there really is a dog.

Posted by: Az Guy (---.airband.net)
Date: July 26, 2004 05:19PM

Just testing something - nevermind.

Post Edited (07-26-04 17:19)

~~ Once you've slept on an island, you'll never be the same ~~
2008 St Maarten Pics

Re: thanks ahead of time
Posted by: Brian Hyland (193.220.26.---)
Date: February 28, 2007 12:29PM

BANK LONDON

SUBJECT: RE:Thanks ahead of time
Director, Inward Investment Unit
Barclays Bank, London United Kingdom.

Attention: Sir,
My name is Mr. Brain Hyland, Director, Inward Investment Unit Barclays Bank Plc, London United Kingdom. I am writing in respect of a foreign customer of our bank with account number 14-255-114 whose name is Late Mr. Morris Thompson, an American by Citizen who perished in a plane crash of Alaska Airlines Flight 261 which crashed on January 31 2000, including his wife and only daughter. You shall read more about the crash on visiting this site which I got during my investigation;
STURDY CAREFULLY THIS WEBSITE TO CLEAR YOURSELF OF ANY DOUBTS
[www.cnn.com]

Since the demise of this our customer, I personally has watched with keen interest to see the next of kin but all has proved abortive as no one has come to claim his funds of US$15.5M (Fifteen Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) which has been with our branch for a very long time. On this note, I decided to seek for whom his name shall be used as the Next of Kin as no one has come up to be the next of kin. And the banking ethics here does not allow such money to stay more than Ten Years, because the money will be recalled to the bank treasury as unclaimed fund after this period.

In view of this I got your contact when making a research on a foreigner I will use in this great opportunity. For your assistant I will give you 30%of the total amount then 10% have been mapped out to donate to the motherless baby home, while the remaining 60% will be for me and my partner. Upon the receipt of your response, I will send you by fax or e-mail the letter of application, which you will type, sign and send back to our bank to enable us start this transaction. I will not fail to bring to your notice that this business is hitch free and that you should not entertain any fear as all modalities for the smooth and easy transfer of this fund has been finalized, this transaction will be completed within five banking days of receiving your response, after you apply to the bank as a relation to the deceased. When you receive this letter, kindly send me an e-mail signifying your decision including your private Tel/Fax numbers for quick communication on my personal email address:

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Brain Hyland,
Inward Investment Unit,
Barclays Bank London,
United Kingdom

Posted by: LennySXM (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 01:37PM

This is great. Always wanted $5 million. Can you send me a certified check in the amount of $50,000 to prove your sincerity and we can proceed from there. This is, of course, only a drop in the bucket of the amount you've mentioned so should be no problem for you.

Oh. Have someone proofread your open letter to correct the poor use of the English language.

Is this Nigerian con still working????

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: February 28, 2007 02:58PM

Lenny it's only working for those who might be dumb enought to by into it. And we know there aren't any folks here on GoBeach that would qualify.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |