The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

looking for Dish Satellite
Posted by: ymorin007 (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 09:01AM

Hi,

Anyone knows where I could find dish satellite for sale on the Island?

Thank you.

Re: looking for Dish Satellite
Posted by: Elaine (200.7.57.---)
Date: December 16, 2008 09:09AM

Direct TV & Dish
Walter Nisbeth Road 73
542-9963

Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 03:56PM

I thought Direct TV got zapped and Minder didn't have the new codes...........hmm.
Oh well. You have Direct TV Elaine? Do you get the NY stations?

cheers
irina

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2008 04:34PM

Minder is not the one providing Direct TV right now I believe, but I may be wrong. There are plenty of company selling some FTA product or DN services, they even advertise in the Daily Herald for their system with boxes and satelite dishes... per example I have Dish Network

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 16, 2008 05:46PM

It seems that most of the places I go, like sports bar they seems to decrypt all channels. I pretty sure they don't pay for the ppv events they show :-)

FTA don't decrypt those channel so is it legal here to decrypt channels since they show it in bar?

Date: December 16, 2008 06:37PM

I am not sure about the legality in the dutch side regarding this issue, but I thought that FTA did decrypt those chanel... when you have a viewsat box or else, all chanels are decrypted, no?

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 06:46PM

From what I know, Elaine doesn't have Direct TV. I believe, because she was having problems getting good reception, she has SXM Cable like us.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Rastaman (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2008 10:45PM

I have 2 DISH Network Dishes for sale. If you want to get U.S. channels, you have to make DISH think your boxes are in the States. It is my understanding if you get legal DISH in St. Martin, you would get the Central American version. You can get "pirated"boxes that have everything decrypted, but we found it was not worth it.

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.9.---)
Date: December 17, 2008 06:27AM

John is correct. We have St Maarten Cable - yuck!

I just looked in the phone book for the answer to the question.

Date: December 17, 2008 06:52AM

I bought this FTA (Free To Air) viewsat box, legally, with a three or four feet dish and I have about 200 channel Dish Network with it, including HBO, Encore,showtime, etc... No headache except maybe once in a while you need to reset the box with a new downloaded file, through an USB port, but that's easy...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 17, 2008 07:34AM

Now, that's interesting! Do you pay monthly fees? I would assume not since you said you got it legally.grinning smiley If I only had the room, I would look into that as well! A 3 foot dish would fit OK but a 4 foot dish would be alittle distracting and take away too much room on the balcony.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: December 17, 2008 07:54AM

You can buy them everywhere through the internet, direct the dish toward the satelite of your choice, and get the signal. No monthly fee... and according to what I read on their website (posted in my previous comment) I do beleive it's legal since it is legally imported and sold . Or maybe the law sometime is so twisted that it would be legal to import, to sell but not to use?..confused smileyeye popping smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 17, 2008 08:04AM

Thanks Philippe. Maybe we'll look into this.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: December 17, 2008 08:27AM

Thanks Philippe...may to i will look into viewsat. I saw someone selling a viewsat on the Daily Herald for 500$ not sure wich receiver it comes with but I will check.

Thanks for all the info.

Do you get the UFC Event?

Date: December 17, 2008 09:15AM

$500 is expensive for viewsat... IMO, except if it include already a 3 or 4 Ft fiberglass dish and installation. Usually it comes with Dish Network. You do need to download some new file from the bin , though, once in a while to reset the system when DN goes down. But you find them all over the internet.
What is UFC?

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2008 09:18AM by Tabba Khady.

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |