The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: HELP FIGHT CRIME!!
Posted by: AnyTimeShareOwner (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 09, 2008 09:12PM

Tess,

First off, the dollar ain't weakening on the dutch side. Secondly, letters of concern and such have been steadily flowing to the officials for YEARS to absolutely no avail.

New blood may not be new budgets, but older budgets, like you and I; but still new to the island. Personally, I think the young blood are even more critical, which is even greater.

I have written to both tourist commissioners - dutch side regarding timeshare assessments; and french side concerning the new Club Orient management stealing guest belonging in storage to be sold at a yard sale. Guess their reply - NOTHING.

What matters to them is people still coming. I noticed your own travel arrangements haven't changed, as many time that you complain. Have you ever not gone when you usually do, in order to demonstrate your disatisfaction with circumstances?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 10, 2008 07:24AM

TS.....just to set the record straight....I don't complain, I'm just observant! I have altered my travel plans, I've only been travelling
2x yrly, for the past couple of years, as the dollar weakens it's becoming more $$$$.
I've also observed that while the dollar isn't as weak on the Dutch side the prices have escalated. What's the difference Euros vs. raised $$$ on Dutch side? I agree, that the prices are still affordable on the Dutch side but I've noticed more French shopping there so it's only a matter of time before the business owners realize that they can reap greater rewards by raising prices but keeping them better than the Euro exchange. I've also noticed Rima's prices climbing......and that used to be a real deal!!
I feel your frustration with the timeshare assessments. Especially, with all the growth! It must be frustrating to see all that building! Horrible!!
I've written to government in the past, with no response, but I do think the problems have escalated and it's only a matter of time when someone in g'vt puts it all together, (especially, making some news, which they love!) and try to do something. Or else...........

Regards,
Contessa

Posted by: Oldtimer (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 10, 2008 09:18PM

Contessa,

Complain/observant, I guess it's a matter of semantics. You're post on TTOL and the crime, take it either way.

The point is, you cut back to two trips a year? Is that a breaker for the island? We've given it up. For the people like Barbara, I feel sorry. We had so many people there we would call friends.

We've discovered other jewels to us. Places that are more pristine. Places that offer more of what we want.

Home isn't what it was. Maybe because we got grounded there by Luis, we felt a bonding. That bonding has disappeared.

I don't begrudge those who still go there and enjoy their time there. ENJOY!!!!!
For us, the magic has long disappeared. It has become a different island, for better or worse.

For me personally with regard to the island; I will throw it in the dumpsta!!!

Posted by: AntTimeShareOwner (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 11, 2008 12:12AM

Oh, I get it now Tess - you cut back to 2 times a years based on the economy NOT because of your cry with this message thread: CRIME and what the withdrawal of the dollar can impact. Yeah,sorry for missing that point.

Posted by: contessa (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 11, 2008 08:17AM

TS....Lighten UP!! YOU missed the point!
I cut back a few years ago because the $$$ was beginning to weaken and crime was not the issue it is today!! CRIME is now the MAJOR reason for lots of people to find sun n' fun somewhere else. That's a BAD thing for SXM. Lost revenues = lost jobs = more CRIME!! That's the point! If you just complain instead of using your energy to do something positive, then NOTHING will get done!! Use that fire to help curb the crime situation !!

Regards,

Contessa

Posted by: AnyTimeShareOwner (12.16.111.---)
Date: May 11, 2008 09:28PM

Tess,

Sorry, but I am not gonna use my well earned dollars any longer (14 years) to promote the argument of tourist dollars = jobs = less crime. It ain't happening, it ain't working. Too many people there are taking advantage of people thinking that way. You've tried, we've tried, so many have tried, but really to no avail.

We have chosen to sink our tourist dollars right here in the states - you know home turf counts for something. New Orleans, the northern most caribbean island. Great music, great food, really great people - great survivors too. It was amazing on our last trip speaking with people who were in the superdome, after Katrina. As OldTimer said there was a bonding for us, after Luis, and the people on the island, yet we felt it again with people who were in the superdome - equality, regardless of race, money status or gender. I will never forget that lesson learned on SXM.

No, I will not lighten up on the subject - it is really very critical that people know that the officials in both countries only want to soak up peoples money and do nothing to promote the wellfare of their own people and those whose visit. You started a thread about a serious matter - not one to be consider lightly. So don't tell me to lignten up, unless yu are ready to serious up.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |