The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: our visit to St. Martin
Posted by: Janet Schick (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 09:10AM

I am so sorry that happened to your family. My husband & I have been going to St. Martin for many years even though my husband didn't love some of the areas and I have to keep some of the stories of crime to my self. I am really afraid of going and try to visit some areas only with other people or when Grand Case is having their Tuesday night festivals. We own a timeshare and I only hope you will try this island once again. It has so much more than any other island and I know this can happen anywhere in the world. We travel a lot and are always warned about crime in Europe and here in the US. It is the times and the ecomony that make people so bad. It is terrible that the police don't really do alot to stop this. If the punishment was really very bad, then maybe they would think twice. I am sorry again and wish you well. I know how you feel, since I was in my office with my boss and two gunmen came in and made us lay down on the ground. You can imagine what I thought. This is the end of our lives and I thought they would rape me. They had ski masks on and guns in their hand and they were shaking. My husband made my boss put in an intercom, but of course I went back. It was the worst day of my life.. I must say that some of the times in St. Martin I got sick and once broke my elbow and the drs. and hospital were wonderful. Another time my husband passed out at the butterfly farm and the medics were there in a minute on the French side. So their are some great sides to the people on the island. I guess there are trouble makers all over..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: our visit to St. Martin
Posted by: kat (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 06, 2008 10:17AM

Hi Janet,

You sound like a strong, balanced individual, despite the horribly sick individuals you've had to face. I'm happy you can still enjoy your time on St. Martin. I can't see us visiting that island ever again. Both my husband and my son were hospitalized right after our trip with what the docs are 99% sure was dengue fever. If you read between the lines on a lot of travel sites, you'll see that it's become a real problem on St. Martin, St. Barts, and BVI. Our docs said Brazil in S. America is facing an epidemic of dengue. My husband had to be re-admitted a second time with dangerously low blood WBC and platelets. I had a mild case, and was released from the emergency room. When the blood work comes back from the state (dengue takes awhile to confirm via the labwork) I'm going to bring this to the press. Travellers should be warned about what's out there. We'd brought tubes and bottles of very protective sunscreen, but we didn't know we should be bringing an equal amount of bug spray...My husband is still flat on his back, weak as a kitten, and he and my son are very vulnerable right now to any random microbe that visits them. They are out of work for 30 days. Although we met some wonderful people, locals and tourists alike on St. Martin, the island is not getting any safer. Good luck to you and your family...

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |