The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: EU eligibility for employment on St. Martin
Posted by: ANON (---.muf122.nycm.n54ny05r18.dsl.att.net)
Date: October 20, 2009 08:17AM

Well said, Philippe, well said.
Kudos for getting why so many are disillusioned and returning to there homes. Its like the city dweller used to a street lite on every corner and neons lites everywhere moving to the country and complaining about how dark it is. You didn't know this before you came? Shame on you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elaine (200.7.63.---)
Date: October 20, 2009 08:35AM

Wonderful post Philippe! Exactly correct.

Posted by: Sandra (---.vs.shawcable.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 06:07PM

I have read the thread here with interest.

Can you tell me if a British passport holder is welcome to come and find work on the French side of the island? It seems that the UK is only a partial Shengen zone member so I don't know what that means for working there.

Thank you,

Sandra

Posted by: Warwick (200.7.52.---)
Date: December 01, 2009 08:25PM

Hi Sandra,

Shengen and EU are two different bodies. The UK is a full memeber of the EU and as such any EU member has the right to live and work in any other EU state - including France and ergo including the French side of St Martin.

The Schengen zone is a zone of countries for which there is a common immigration policy, so that citizens of the Schengen zone countries can move freely from country to country without needing to go through any immigration posts. These countries include all EU members - except the UK and Ireland which have opted out of the agreement at this stage, and Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania which have not yet fully complied with the conditions. In addition 3 non-EU members - Norway, Switzerland and Iceland are also Schengen members. Schengen membership does not grant the rights of abode and work - simply free passage.

That said - see Philippe's post on page 2.

Regards,

Warwick

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2009 06:21AM

As UK citizen you will not have any problems nore restrictions to live and find job on St Martin. I have plenty of British Friends who did so and still living here.
That said, job market is saturated and it is tough to find one doesn't matter if you are French, German, Italian, British or other EU citizenship...

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: frenchy (---.rev.numericable.fr)
Date: December 17, 2009 11:15AM

Hello, I am a us green card holder but a French citizen. I have 2 questions:

I have been living in the sates for 20 years but am tired of the everyday stress. I have a successful internet business and can easily work from home. Is this considered working in st martin. My business is in the us and I pay taxes in the us for now. Would it be better for me to incorporate in Anguilla or another tax haven?

2. I also have an american finance should I get married in France as I prefer to marry in St Martin and follow up with the paperwork from there.

Thanks for the insight...

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2009 06:28PM

why don't you send a PM to Phillipe? maybe he can answer you
his user name is Tabba Khady
I just don't know the answer to your question.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Any (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: January 24, 2010 10:49AM

Hello,

My name is Any I'm from an EU country and would like to start a business in dutch side of the island (I already have a propriety there - land). I'm interested if you can help me with more information about new independence of St Marten (I've red on the Internet that SXM will become independent starting to 10.10.2010). It is very hard to penetrate on the market? Is the bureaucracy bigger than in the french side?

Thank you very much.

Date: January 24, 2010 12:37PM

Amy, the bureaucracy here is horrendous. very diffidence and time consuming to do anything.
i suggest though that you contact the Chamber of Commerce.
They should be able to offer you advice.

[www.sxmcoci.org]

Posted by: any (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: January 24, 2010 12:52PM

Thank you for your response Barbara.

I intend to open a branch of my company in St Maarten (I want to invest in SXM approx 800.000 $). I'm interested in tourism (obviously) but I would like to invest in constructions. Can you tell me more about the competition (are many construction company)? I saw that the President of Chamber of Commerce was reelected and that a good thing I think (it means stability).

I'm very interested about 10-10-10. Are you ready to become independent?
Will this affect business stability?

I love SXM, I dream about it, I read your newspapers online.I want very much to invest and live here.

Thanks
Any

Date: January 24, 2010 03:26PM

there are many many construction companies here on the Dutch side. the competition is very stiff.
We will not be independent in October but will be a separate entity within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. We are all waiting to see what that will mean.

Posted by: victor (109.79.51.---)
Date: February 13, 2010 09:09PM

hello I am from Romania and I wants to work in the French St Marten what chance do I have? danyela

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.1.---)
Date: February 14, 2010 07:39AM

Slim to none. There are no jobs.

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2010 09:10AM

I beleive it is time to close this one since the same question is being asked over and over and that the response has already been given

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Go to: •Message ListSearchLog In
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |