gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
tipping?
Posted by: KP (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2007 06:01PM

3Hi all,

We have been to the island many times and still remain confused about tipping practices on the French side. Do they include the tip or not? The French are not always forthcoming or overly friendly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tipping?
Posted by: LennySXM (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 10:01AM

Tipping can be a bit of a problem at restaurants for the following reasons. Many restaurants in St. Maarten/Saint Martin include a 15% tip on your bill. That’s not the problem. The problem begins with whether or not your waiter or waitress actually gets that tip.

If your waiter or waitress does not, in actuality, get this tip and it’s the restaurant that’s “glomming” it, what do you do? You can’t be expected to tip on top of the tip so, bottom line, just don’t give any more. I mean 30% is a bit much to be expected. Don’t you think?
Now here’s where it starts getting complicated. You have a waiter or waitress that’s been really good and you’re generally the kind of person that wants to give more than the 15%. Do you leave an extra 5% on the table? Sure you can but this now creates a problem of perception. Does the waiter or waitress realize that you’re aware of the 15% already charged and is appreciative of the extra 5% or does the waiter or waitress think you’re simply a cheapo by leaving only a 5% tip?
Pretty sticky. Huh? I’ve been here for over 20 years and it still troubles me. The best thing I can suggest is to always check the bottom of your bill for a “service” charge and start from there. Then you can let your waiter or waitress know you’re aware of the 15% charged and give the extra if you choose. That way you’re pretty well covered. What’s between them and the restaurant can’t be your responsibility.
The reason the service charge was put on the bill is that many people are not known for tipping and when they do it’s meager. It was originally intended to insure that the waiter or waitress gets something for their efforts. A protection as it were until some restaurateurs got greedy and saw the service charge as extra (and unearned) revenue for themselves. The fact that some establishments do not hand it over is, to me, unconscionable. So unconscionable and misleading to the public that there should be Government regulation as regards the practice.
I believe that if a 15% service charge is added to a bill that it should be stated, in very clear language on the menu, on the bill itself or on both, that the charge will be added and exactly who gets the money. This should go a long way towards clearing up all the confusion and perhaps go a long way towards putting the money into the hands it properly belongs in. If it is not stated, the establishment in question should be prohibited from charging it and patrons should be legally allowed to refuse to pay it. There are certain people we tip and certain people we don’t tip and the ones we don’t tip include restaurant owners.
Make sense?

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 12:11PM

Yes. and No.

Posted by: LennySXM (72.252.9.---)
Date: March 05, 2007 12:41PM

Yes and No?????

Help me with the No's.

Posted by: KP (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 08:28PM

I understand that on the Dutch side 15% is added to the check - but have been told that on the French side the tip is included in the price of the meal. I would greatly appreciate any insight into this - I don't want to over tip - or under tip.
Yes and no?????? What does that mean?

Kim

Posted by: ANON (---.nycmny83.covad.net)
Date: March 06, 2007 08:54AM

Yes and No means I got most of whats being said but I read that 15% is tacked on to items and included in the menu prices by French law and if its a law its a law so how can some places say we don't do that. If it really is a law then it should be uniform in all french restraunts and they shouldn't be playing the games they play and if it doesn't go to the waitstaff that shouldnt be the patrons problem. More like the staffs problem for putting up with it.
I know I've seen enough times around the marina staff snickering as they pick up the generously tips left by Americans after having been explained that yes, 15 % is included but thats not a tip and at the same time watching some french diners leave small change on the table only.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

Posted by: Gov (---.mercermc.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 10:07AM

KP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I understand that on the Dutch side 15% is added
> to the check - but have been told that on the
> French side the tip is included in the price of
> the meal. I would greatly appreciate any insight
> into this - I don't want to over tip - or under
> tip.
> Yes and no?????? What does that mean?
>
> Kim

Lenny,
Any insight into this?

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2007 10:46AM

This is the best explanation I found for it. It is from Phillippe, owner of Tabba Khady Restaurant in Oyster Pond.
I am quoting him.. thanks Phillippe.

the French side is France and under French Law. Restaurantor are not and should not be exempt to respect it. More and more of them , unscrupuleous and dishonest toward our touristic clientele, are adding service charge on the top of the Bill and this is totally outlawed. You want it or not... Netherless, they add the service charge only to the American tourists taking advantage of their lack of knowledge in the topic or their use and habits. Realise that they will certainly NOT try to add it to the bill of French or European Tourist or residents... I am sorry but this very unfair and calling some of the tourist stupid ! Greed, At the end, can only hurt our already very fragile economy

The law says

There is NO governement tax on the French side concerning the patrons.

Prices in the French side are net, which means that if there is a "service charge" as well as taxes, it is already included in the price.

The restaurantor has the right to include or not the service charge in his price on the menu, but if he choose not to include the 15% in the labelled prices, he has absolutly no right to add it afterward to the total of the patron's bill.

However Now, why sometime, when you ask to the waiter "does the service included?.." his answer will be : "yes, the service is included but not the Tips"... Here below is the understanding :

The "pourboire", or "tips" in English, is a certain amount of money given or left by the patron as a reward to an employee for his attention, kindness, and/or professionalism. It is alway optional and let to the discretion and appreciation of the customer. It cannot be demanded, required or requested in any case by the waiter or the restaurantor.

The service is a percentage perceived on the price by the restaurantor to cover part of the fix salary of his employees. If it exist it must be obligatory included in the price. The prices labeled on the menu are the prices payed by the customers. If the service is included, the menu must have the mention "Service compris" (service included) followed by the exact percentage. But again, remember that if the service is not included, it can be mentioned "service not included" BUT it cannot be charged to you afterward on your bill !!!

Here is an information page on the issue from Tabba Khady website:
[englishversion.tabba-khady.com]

Posted by: tt (---.msn.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 12:57PM

i presume they are talking about captain olivers as it is nearby and they do add 15% to the bill..however isnt captain olivers on the dutch side. i know dawn beach is.

Posted by: LennySXM (72.252.9.---)
Date: March 06, 2007 01:16PM

Interestingly enough, Captain Oliver's is on BOTH sides. In fact, a border runs directly through the resort. Now as to which side of the line the restaurant falls on?

Posted by: Dell Senior (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2007 02:38PM

Are you kidding? ..grow up the fragile mal-nutricionous cows of the island cannot tolerate being tipped over when sleeping by drunkin tourists on Coors Light. Please respect these hard working animals.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 07, 2007 10:58PM

Cpt. Oliver's restaurant is on the Dutch side...the rooms on the French...FYI...but the whole place "feels" French...food, language, wines, management personnel, etc...all French. Cheers, spike

Posted by: Edgar (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2007 03:47PM

Gov,

I think lenny is not the expert you think. IMHO I say don't tip at all, I am sure its included. One exception, California..where the service is outstanding

Posted by: Gov (---.mercermc.com)
Date: March 08, 2007 04:16PM

Edgar,

I believe you may be correct, he may have been there only once or twice. I will not give the 15% on your say so, just the extra change. Thanks for clearing up the tipping controversy that has been on going for years. Finally the voice of reason has spoken.

Posted by: Edgar (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2007 02:09AM

All you had to do was ask Gov.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |