The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Petition to Help Save Our Wetlands
Posted by: LennySXM (72.252.9.---)
Date: February 28, 2007 08:53AM

Recent news indicates that the much anticipated rebuilding of hurricane damaged Mullet Resort on Sint Maarten may soon begin. Join us in urging the Island Government to protect the mangroves and seagrass beds of Mullet Pond, which forms the border of the resort property.

Mullet Pond is an undeveloped area of the Simpson Bay Lagoon. This lagoon is one of the largest in the Caribbean, serving a vital role in the marine ecosystem. Mullet Pond harbors extensive seagrass beds and aquatic mangrove trees. In fact, this one area represents about 65% of all the mangroves left in St. Maarten’s Simpson Bay Lagoon.

Why are these trees so important? They are crucial for our fisheries, serving as a nursery for fish, conch, lobster, shrimp and many other forms of sea life. Birds nest and feed among the roots and branches. These trees also have the remarkable ability to remove pollution from the water. In addition, Mangroves are needed to act as a buffer during hurricanes, preventing erosion of the shoreline.

Development plans for Mullet Resort recently posted online describe an 85 yacht marina, including megayachts up to 300 feet, and 32 yacht villas with private docks. This type of development, involving dredging seagrass beds and destruction of mangroves, in such a rare and extensive natural area of the lagoon is unacceptable. The oil, fuel, detergent, anti-fouling paint, and other toxins associated with boats will pollute this relatively pristine area of the lagoon.

Although it is impossible to confirm what the exact building plans are, past experience has shown we must be proactive in voicing our opinion on how development is to take place. The Island Government has approved major building projects without public notice or review.

The economy of Sint Maarten is dependent upon tourists who want to visit a beautiful tropical island. It is the beaches, the lagoon, the reefs and the mountains that visitors enjoy; the very resources which are being destroyed at a phenomenal rate. Development will continue, but it must be managed responsibly so that areas as ecologically important, unique, and beautiful as Mullet Pond are preserved along with the economy.

There is no doubt a restored Mullet Resort will be in high demand and will create jobs. This site has the only golf course on the island, one of the best beaches, a beautiful lagoon side setting, and an excellent landscape. Destroying the unique and very important natural areas of Mullet Pond will not improve the economy. Property owner Sun Resorts, on the other hand, will benefit from the more expensive waterfront homes and dock space. But their benefit will be St. Maarten’s great loss, for a vital part of our natural heritage will have vanished.

The protection of our Wetlands and other Nature Preserves should be MANDATORY. Once destroyed these resources can never again be re-established as well as the wildlife that relies on them for support.

Let’s all support the Mullet Pond Coalition, a concerned group which seeks the zoning of Mullet Pond as a protected area to prohibit the removal of existing vegetation, including mangroves and seagrass within 45 meters of the Lagoon shoreline.

Members of this coalition include Environmental Protection of the Caribbean, Nature Foundation St. Maarten, Ocean Care and the St. Maarten Pride Foundation. Let’s all join them in their noble efforts to save the beauty of our island.

Please speak out and let Lt. Governor Richards and Sun Resorts know that we say “Yes” to Mullet Resort but “No” to the destruction of Mullet Pond. Take action to urge the government to zone Mullet Pond as a protected area. We urge you to make your feelings known by signing and submitting their petition.

To find the petition, go to Zebrabot.com and click the url at the end of the lead article titled “Petition to Save Our Wetlands” and help to spread the word if you can.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Petition to Help Save Our Wetlands
Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2007 10:15AM

I have forwarded this on to my entire address book.
thanks, Lenny, for posting it both here and on TTOL.
another web site that gives you information on this is:

[www.epicislands.org]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2007 01:10PM

FYI
this was in TDH today.. government's response

[www.thedailyherald.com]

Posted by: Lex (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: March 05, 2007 05:18AM

Hey Lenny, St. Maarten need more people like you. I see you're also trying to bring some attention to this matter on TTOL. I must say I agree with you 100% so i signed the petition and i must say also that it's very surprising how few people are signing the petition. Guys this is a situation in which votes count so please cast your vote to save our wetlands by signing the petition. I wish there was more that i can do because it's a shame to see the almost retarded things that the government are doing or allowing. First there's concrete everywhere you turn (on the DUTCH SIDE) and now this. So once again guys please sign the petition.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2007 06:02PM

Lenny,

Thanks for making this post and for giving those who haven't already done so another opportunity to sign this petition.

I signed it as soon as it was sent to me because over all the years I've been visiting St. Maarten, Mullet Bay and it's surrounds have always been my island home. It would be a shame to see the beautiful Mullet Pond go the way of so many of the other island landmarks, not to mention the added damage this would do to the islands' already suffering ecosystems.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |