The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

mosquitos
Posted by: karen (---.c3-0.frm-ubr1.sbo-frm.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 10:21AM

does anyone know how bad mosquitos during early March??? someone mention mosquito milk works well...where can i buy it???

will be in St Martin from 3/10 - 3/18, 2007

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mosquitos
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 10, 2007 01:21PM

karen,

You can purchase mosquito milk all over the island in most stores that carry miscellaneous items. I seem to be one of the very few people who doesn't find it to be particularly effective so I always bring a can of Off or the Skin so Soft lotion with sunscreen in it from home.

As to whether or not the little pests will be around - it's pretty hard to say and personally, I'm not altogether certain the things that eat me alive are even mosquitoes because the bites are usually quite different from a normal mosquito bite. I seem to be most bothered on my feet and ankles and this generally happens in the late afternoon, through the sunset period and dinner time so I've just learned to spray from my toes to my knees before we go out and be done with it.

I think the little buggers are more apt to be around if it's particularly humid or if it's been rainy and the folliage is lush and I almost never notice them on breezy days and evenings or if the weather has been very dry. I've also never experienced sand fleas yet I've heard many speak of them but our beach preferences are pretty limited as a rule so that may have something to do with it.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Date: February 11, 2007 09:00PM

thanks Pat... those little buggers loves me and if there's a group of ten people around they only bit me. Maybe I should start taken garlic pills now.

I have tried Skin-so-soft from Avon in the past that did seem to work for me the only thing i hate is the smell.

Thanks for the info

Karen

Date: February 11, 2007 10:26PM

Karen,

YW. And I have to tell you, we must be kindred spirits because that's the way the bugs are with me, too. My wonderful hubby and I can be standing or sitting in almost the same spot and I'll get devoured while he gets nary a nibble.

So bring the Off or Skin So Soft and use it in the late afternoon to early evenings and have a wonderful trip.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: February 12, 2007 08:45AM

Mosquito Milk works for me. I'm ok during the day, but as soon as the sun starts to set, especially if i'm on the French side (don't ask me why) my ankles get chewed up by whatever they are. I roll on the MM from knees to toes and they leave me alone. Not sticky and no smell. AND it's under 3 oz so you can bring the leftovers home!

We buy it in the grocery stores.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2007 08:50AM

mosquitos are at their worst at sunset.. that is when they come out in droves.. the noseeums too.
you can't come to the Caribben and not expect to meet up with them so come prepared with protection.

Posted by: katie b (---.dsl.peoril.ameritech.net)
Date: February 15, 2007 06:09PM

mosquitos and noseems may be common on most of the islands but we've been to Aruba about 8 times and have never gotten a bite! we'll be on SXM in a couple of weeks and I'm sorry to hear this bug news but will be prepared, thanks

Date: February 15, 2007 08:07PM

katie b,

We only made it to Aruba once and from my most limited experience, I think the reason for the seemingly lack of mosquitos there has something to do with the fact that in most areas, the wind doesn't stop blowing long enough for them to land anywhere. We stayed at the Hyatt and used the beach there and sorry to say, it was extremely hot with no breeze for most of the week we were there, and the mosquitos were plentiful in the evenings. The few times we went to some of the other areas where the breezes were stronger I will agree, we never experienced the little buggers.

But the really good news is you do know in advance what to expect in St. Maarten and like you said, you'll be prepared for it. Have a wonderful time.

Respectfully,

pat

Posted by: linda (---.bflony.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2007 12:12PM

I read they are sand flies, not mosquitos. The bite marks are different than mosquitos.
I found a product from avon that is suppose to protect you from them. Ordered 4 cansat 10 dollars each from their web site, we will see if they work in April

Date: February 19, 2007 05:01PM

thanks guys for all the info...i love this site

Just went into the Avon site and purchased several different types of mosquito repellents ...i'm sure one of them will work. If not i will drink alot of alcohol to numb the itch.

Date: February 19, 2007 07:58PM

There you go, Karen - if one solution doesn't work hopefully the other will. Have a great trip.

pat

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |