The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Princess heights/dawn Beach
Posted by: sting (---.capecod.af.mil)
Date: January 05, 2007 05:22AM

Hello--Found lots of usefull info in many different posts>>>Thank you. We will be on island Mid March staying at Princess Heights...web site and reviews look good, but reports of construction there and at Westin Have us a bit worried...Any good news??? Am very interested in snorkeling and was told Dawn Beach is/was a good area...Any other suggestions?? From posts looks like AAA car rental, am curious to parking at beaches and where Ferry to Pinel goes??? Is there any organized parking at these areas, or just find your self a spot???

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Princess heights/dawn Beach
Posted by: goldeneyeblue (---.state.gov)
Date: January 05, 2007 11:28AM

Hi,
I'm an owner at Princess Heights. I was last there at the beginning October and I think the worst of the construction noise will be over. At least no more jack hammers or blasting. There will be construction traffic, so be careful since the roads are very narrow and many drivers like to take their half out of the middle. You may have to pull as far as possible to the right to let trucks by coming from the other direction.

I think you'll find the accomodations at PH top notch. Marble floors and granite counter tops. A full kitchen. The pool is almost always deserted. If you have any problems just call the office and they'll take care of you. The views are beautiful, though not as nice as before the Westin. Just try to ignore the Westin roof.

I never found the snorkeling at Dawn Beach that great, but maybe I didn't know where to look. However, with the Westin there, you may want to try elsewhere. Pinel Island (there's a large parking lot and just find a spot) has good snorkeling. The 'ferry' is a wooden boat that carries about 40 people. It's a 5 minute trip. There are a couple of restaurants, but they only take cash. We usually take a small cooler with a baguette, cheese and some meat. There are chairs to rent as well (cash). You'll find a marked area for snorkeling down from the pier, or hike over the hill. If you go over the hill, the water is rougher, but the snorkeling is good. I've seen pictures from Green Caye (off of Orient) and snorkeling looks good there as well, though you might need someone to take you over. Explore the island. There is parking at all of the beaches and they are all public. We like Baye aux Prunes, because it is usually nearly deserted, but check them all out and find one you like.

I've read good things about AAA, but never used them. Just be sure to never leave anything of value in your car. We learned that lesson the hard way.

Other than that relax and have a great time. I'm jealous!

Posted by: sting (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2007 03:10PM

Thanks for the info, any other tips are useful and any information in general. We wonder about small things such as how long a walk from PH to actual beach, Busby's, local market for spirits and groceries, best times to drive (is there any, ) road etiquette, Dinner around Dawn, boat to St. Barts, things, besides sitting on a beach, to do in general.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 05, 2007 08:43PM

"Road Etiquitte", an interesting term! There are no stop lights or stop signs on the island. (well, maybe a stop sign or two...) It's basically a matter of who gets to the intersection first. Everyone is pretty considerate of others, but occasionally a timid tourist (read me or you!!) will wait for an opening to enter traffic and muck up the whole thing. Just be agressive and considerate, and you'll do fine. Busses and passenger cars stop in the middle of the road to pick up and/or discharge riders, or just to carry on a conversation. Everything is on island time.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 05, 2007 10:41PM

The road along the north side of P-burg along the salt pond has several traffic lights...unless they've disappeared since early December !! "No stop lights or stop signs" is a gross mis/under-statement.

Date: January 06, 2007 12:35AM

Well I don't plan on spending much time in town, as a matter of fact, visits to Antigua, St. Kitts, Nevis and Nassua we never made it to any of the towns only beaches and bars. I suppose though I'll take my upbringing driving skills of Southern California, honed driving skills for Boston and recent experinces of Cape Cod living and survive St> Maarten.

Posted by: goldeneyeblue (208.64.156.---)
Date: January 06, 2007 07:39PM

It's about a 5 minute walk from PH to Dawn Beach. Just go out of the parking lot, down the hill and around the Westin. When we were there, we went on a Sunday afternoon and initially the guard tried to stop us, but when we talked to him, he finally let us go. Now that it's opened I don't know what they'll say, but all beaches are public so I don't think they can stop you. I wouldn't recommend walking to Busby's (Daniel's at night) or Oyster Pond. The road is just to small and dangerous. At night it isn't lit. It's a quick drive and much safer. We've been to Busby's at night and we really like a seafood pasta they have. We've read good things about it, but most of the times we been there, the wait staff was not that friendly or attentive. Maybe it was just us, because others have raved about it. We've been to Captain Oliver's, around the pond from Busby's. The atmosphere is nice, but the food was nothing special. I've read great reviews about Tabba Khaddy(sp?) but haven't been there yet. There are a couple of small markets nearby, but if you're looking to stock up, Le Grande Marche is the place to go. It's near Phillipsburg. Having driven in Boston once, you should have no trouble. You do need to be somewhat aggressive at some stop signs in the busier areas but they have added some roundabouts which will hopefully help. I'd try to stay away from P-burg in the early morning and late afternoon (work hours) because traffic is a mess. As far as a boat to St. Bart's, I'm not sure, but there'll be a book in your condo that has info for all of the day trips and the office staff can set it up for you.

Posted by: goldeneyeblue (208.64.156.---)
Date: January 06, 2007 07:51PM

Sting-
There is a trip report on TTOL from someone who is just back from PH. It has some good info.
[www.traveltalkonline.com]

Posted by: Doc (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2007 11:36PM

Sting-
The best restaurant in the Dawn Beach/Oyster Pond area is hands-down Tabba Khady. You can check out some pictures and the menu on their website, www.tabba-khady.com. To get there, cross over to the French side with Oyster Pond on your right. The restaurant is at the bottom of the hill at the corner or Rue de la Flibuste.

Another place to check out is the Dinghy Dock. They have a great happy hour there from 5-7 daily where you make your own drinks for $2. They also have basic, but good and reasonably-priced food. You'll see a mix of locals, tourists, and boatsmen.

Le Planteur is on the road to Capt. Oliver's. The food there is good and the view across Oyster Pond is nice. La Fregate is across from Tabba Khady and is good for pizza/light fare. The fish soup there is excellent.

I think Capt. Oliver's is better for lunch than for dinner. The soups and sandwiches are decent. I find the dinner prices high for the moderate quality.

Posted by: Beachwife (---.rockynet.com)
Date: January 08, 2007 08:20AM

We were at Princess Heights in December and there is a lot of construction adjoining Princess Heights. We believe it is a new extension to the Princess Heights. That will be a cause of some major noise during the day.

The view across the street will be of the Westin which we do not like since it looks like a flat topped warehouse district.

We love Princess Heights and their pool is fantastic. But the area adjacent to and around Princess Heights is undergoing so much construction and that may have an impact on your vacation.

Date: January 08, 2007 11:28PM

I finally found the trip report on TTOL and it was good, ironically earlier in the day found a new post on trip adviser that looks as though it was posted by the same person. Lack of construction noise is a positive. Friends just returned from a week at Oyster club and said the Westin was nice...the thought of being able to use there toys with out staying there is good. Now once I get a rental car wrapped up we'll be all set for ten days in March.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |