The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Sapphire Owners/Supplemental Assessment
Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 14, 2006 05:37AM

What is everyone doing with there special asssessments. We have chosen NOT to pay it and let the 'chips fall where they may' at this time. Is there anyone who can get a class action started against the Sapphire for this Special Assessment?
We recently banked our '06 weeks (49/50) with RCI and got a confirmation (indication that our Annual Maintenance was up to date) but nothing said about the Special Assessment not being paid. When we trade the weeks I'm curious to see if they will 'block' it for not paying the assessment. Anyone else have any problems with them?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sapphire Owners/Supplemental Assessment
Posted by: Cupecoy94 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 15, 2006 09:01PM

SX,
Against my better judgement we paid ours because I think they are up to no good (well Duh). I think we will sell out of the trailer park. With all fee's paid then they can't bitch although they still say we owe three years from way back when (They're Nuts). Lets face it St Mar "Ain't what it used to be". I have a hunch they will figure out how to screw the owners even worse in the future. I am just aching to know what has been done there.
Footnote: No return e-mail to confirm payment, Calls go unanswered, If you do get through as soon as you say hello they just hang up!

Posted by: Louise (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2006 06:09AM

I am not paying the assessment. Right now the owners are trying to get together and get a class action suit against Sapphire. Why would some of us pay it and some not? If we do, we may end up losing it anyway when and if they go bankrupt! If we don't, then with all the bad publicity, no one will be able to sell their unit. It is a no win situation, but I say, Don't pay...wait this out.

Posted by: SXMaholic (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 16, 2006 06:10AM

We've had both of ours up for sale since last year with
1) Sapphire and 2) a TS reseller. Paid them both $ and not even a nibble on either. Just goes to show how bad a rep the Sapphire has.
We are biding our time with the Assessment Fees. There is a possible class action going on with the 3 resorts (Atrium, Pelican and Sapphire) regarding this 'illegal' assessment.
True, SXM 'ain't what it used to be'. I remember it in it's heyday. It was a paradise island before the hurricanes destroyed it and now everyone wants a piece of it $$$$.

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2006 07:16AM

Gloria et al,

Much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with you all - the island just isn't what she used to be. But I keep coming back to my same old mantra - blame the government - for never enacting laws to protect the timeshare people who have invested much in this island; for allowing the unfettered growth (and ergo destruction) of a once beautiful island; and for the failure to develope the island's infrastructure to coincide with the permitted development.

Now, off my soapbox!! I sympathize with all you guys - and I just keep crossing my fingers because I know sometime the other foot has to fall for us as well and with the settlement of all that was Mullet, I fear it may happen sooner than later.

Respectfully,

pat
:-) :-)

Posted by: Rowboat (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2006 04:06AM

All, right before we left Sint Maarten we heard that JMB has jumped on the problems with Sapphire and Pelican. I am not sure if they or someone has hired Stephen Fox for a class action suit. You may want to try the JMB website.
[www.jmbcommunications.com]

What all these greeding companies have accomplished is to destroy our investments, ransacked our pockets and blackened the timeshare industry.

The Sint Maarten government needs to take a long hard look at what is going on, since we are the backbone financially. As permenant vacationers timeshare owners spend the most money on the island.

Good luck in finding resolution.

Rowie and Pat

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |