gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Pinel Island?
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2006 08:23PM

Rosemont,

That's really too bad. We haven't eaten there in a few years because, to be totally honest, I think Pinel is one of the most highly over-rated beaches on the island and there are too many others I'd rather spend my days on. But if you haven't seen it at least once or twice, then it's a must do for most people.

The last time we were there, which was a few years ago, you were elbow to elbow with chairs and there was basically no such thing as a private conversation short of whispering. Clearly, not my idea of a perfect beach day and this wasn't even a heavy cruise ship day so I'd rather go to one of the on island or Anguilla beaches but that's just my honest opinion.

pat

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: zeke (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 31, 2006 08:48PM

rosemont Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bring lots of cash. That place is ridiculous!!!
> $100 for a lobster, 1 Carib, and a bottle of water
>

Ok, look, if I smoked down 20 caribs and 1/2 a lobster I'd expect 100 large ones (ok, I'd be taking a nap after the 16th carib!), but 1 lob, carib and water for 100 is a little steep. It's just a beach restaurant, right?

z

Posted by: mcinnamon (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: June 01, 2006 01:59PM

Zeke,

Pinel is a must for us once each trip. As much fun as it is to see them pull the basket of live lobsters out of the ocean for someone to choose their lunch, we've never had the lobster ourselves in a dozen trips.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it is an upscale menu, but its a very casual beachside restaurant. They have great salads, seafood specials, and sandwiches. The atmosphere eating lunch seaside under a palapa hut while taking a break from the sun is just something we really enjoy.

The fact that Rosemont didn't ask the market price of the lobster (the only thing not priced on the menu) is what is causing the sour grapes and the bad attitude. I sure hope you don't pass up this day trip because of that post.

mc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2006 02:04PM by mcinnamon.

Posted by: Tara (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: June 01, 2006 04:30PM

WE LOVE PINEL!!!
WE LOVE KARIBUNI !!!
Lunch is delightful there. 2 seatings so book your preferred time when you arrive and set up your beach chairs.
Food is great! Wine is great! Carib is great!
Lobster is nice, but a bit too pricey.
Order the seafood special or just ribs & chicken!
Bring cash! $6.00 ferry ride, $20.00 chairs & umbrella, and $30-50 for lunch.
Water is very calm.
ENJOY!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: June 01, 2006 05:08PM

You guys know that there are 2 restaurants there, don't you?
doesn't anyone ever go to the other one?

Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 01, 2006 05:45PM

B,

We've done both and they were both very good, IMHO, albeit the lobster at Karibuni is a little on the pricey side. It seems to me the other place serves more traditional luncheon food - burgers, sandwiches and light salads as I recall from a few years back, but it too, was good. The one thing that sticks in my mind is I don't believe either place takes plastic - COD as I recall.

pat

Date: June 01, 2006 06:07PM

yea, Pat, I think you are right. cash only.
they can't run credit crads for approval on the island..no phone lines LOL

Posted by: mcinnamon (---.dsl.ipltin.ameritech.net)
Date: June 01, 2006 09:03PM

Barbara1,

My original post to Zeke mentioned clearly that there are two restaurants to choose from. I was recommending my favorite. The other is more of a snack bar, but I'm sure it is preferable to some people....just not my choice.

I guess for us, the day on Pinel and lunch at Karibuni has become kind of a special tradition we look forward to each trip.

mc

Date: June 01, 2006 09:15PM

yes, the other restaurant does not have as varied a menu.
their ribs and grilled chicken are very good though. and it's a good choice if someone doesn't wantt to pay the prices at Karibuni.

Posted by: Rosemont (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: June 06, 2006 05:04PM

mcinnmon

Sorry to make one think that I have a bad attitude. Really I don't. I clearly own up to the mistake of not asking the price-obviously my fault. I don't mind spending money but any reasonable person must admit that $100 is over the top for what we ordered. I don't mean to make Pinel Island out to be a bad place. It is very beautiful and I am sure it is fun for most people. This experience just soured our view of the place. I love St. Martin and most everything about it but I did feel that it was important to warn others about our experience. Just because a place is wonderful for one doesn't mean it is for another. Perhaps that is one of the big problems with these message boards. A negative comment about a place is not a personal insult.

In hindsight it has become a really funny joke for us...How about that $100 Langusta!!!!!!!! No harm meant to anyone.

Posted by: mcinnamon (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: June 06, 2006 06:45PM

Rosemont,

Sorry if I misunderstood your sentiment. I hope in your future travels to St. Martin, you'll give Pinel and Karibuni another chance. Next time pass on the lobster and try the rum! You'll love it!

mc

Posted by: zeke (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 06, 2006 08:52PM

Thanks all! I can "replace" the lobster for rum, chicken, rum, fish, more rum, quite easily. OR, maybe I can get my mom-inlaw hammered and she can foot for the lobster? yeah, that's the ticket!

zeke

Posted by: Jan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 26, 2006 09:09AM

Pinel is a great place to go, but Galieon is just as nice and you don't pay for a boat and it is not as expensive... Of course, if I was to go to St. Martin for only one day, I would spend time in Marigot or Phillipberg... In Phillipsberg, you could shop awhile and now they have a boardwalk and you could walk along and stop and sit at the beach... there are chairs and unbrellas.... Marigot is wonderful... to walk around and shop.. it is the best... the restaurants are the best in the world... Getting back to the beaches... We love Galieon the best, since you can just swim and relax and walk out ... but it has no waves... If you are looking for a beach, like the one in the south of france then go to Orient Beach,,, it has everything.. music, food, people and lots of chairs and umbrellas.. It is fun.. You also can just walk and watch the people, even the nudes walk by... Jan

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |