The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sapphire Beach Club and Bad Press
Posted by: Dave (---.se.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 24, 2004 10:13AM

We recently returned from St Maarten after a stay in out time share at the Sapphire Beach Club (10th year). After reading a lot of bad press I didn't quite know what to expect.
The fact is: The place looked Great! The grounds were lush and the staff was helpfull and friendly. The food coming out of the kitchen looked good although I never did eat there. Our room was always clean and the maid service went out of thier way to help us with extra towels ect. Sure lots of things could be better but it was far from the bad press I had read. If you are going to stay there go, enjoy. and have fun.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sapphire Beach Club and Bad Press
Posted by: Barbara (---.202-68.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2004 12:38PM

I agree. My stay there for 2 weeks this past winter was fine, as always. I think the "bad press" has an axe to grind...just my opinion. I love it there. We have a view of the ocean from the balcony and a view of the lagoon from the bedroom. The appointments are beautiful...marble bathroom, granite counter tops, etc. Maintenance always responded immediately to our needs, even one year at 7 p.m. on Christmas Eve. As for maid service, I'd settle for a little less of it. They're always popping around. smiling smiley

Posted by: SXMaholic (---.172.99.250.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: April 24, 2004 02:16PM

We go for 2 wks in Dec (wk 49/50) for 12+ yrs and have never had any problems that some have reported on some of the sites. Granted it is not the best but it is far from the worst. There is a new manager who is trying to get it back on track but as long as Philippe has control it'll be an uphill battle.

Posted by: Maxwell (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2004 11:49AM

My opinion is that everyone has different expectations. I am a person that is usually has easy expectations to meet. I am in a service industry and know that some people go through life with unrealistic expectations. The more I hear the more that seems to be the case concerning the Sapphire. My stay was great. The location makes it in my case. I can't really relate any great or bad stories about the SBC.

Posted by: brian (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: April 28, 2004 06:13PM

amend !!!!!!!! lets's here some good press ..........the place is great!! end of story !!!!

Posted by: ellen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 05, 2004 08:38PM

I'll be staying there the end of May and am concerned about smoking. Are the rooms smoke free and is it allowed on the beaches?

Posted by: Dave (---.se.client2.attbi.com)
Date: May 11, 2004 04:35PM

Ellen,
I don't think anyone gives hoot what you do there, the French smoke so much I want to toss them in the pool to put them out !! LOL
I think its ok to drive another nail in the box if you want to.

Posted by: Maureen (---.elliot-hs.org)
Date: May 10, 2005 02:52PM

I just returned from a stay at the Sapphire Beach Club. The place is very nice. However, we did have some problems. While there, there was a holiday. We were not informed by the management that we would not have any maid service that day. After a day at the beach, we returned to clean up for dinner. We found the beds unmade and no fresh towels. We called the front desk and were informed that they didn't have any maid service that day (although I did see housekeepers working). It took several calls before we were finally given any towels to take a shower. One night we returned from another day at the beach. We got ready to go out and then went to the safe to get money, jewelry, etc. The safe was broken and wouldn't open. We again called the front desk. We were told by the girl at the desk that nobody had a key and we would have to wait until 11:00 the next morning before someone could open the safe! We found that hard to believe, so my friend went down to speak to them. Suddenly, a key appeared and we were able to open the safe, so we could go get something to eat! We also lost electricity one day in our condo. It took at least 5-6 calls before someone came to take a look at it.
Each time we had called, we were told that someone was "on the way up", then they wouldn't show up. It is a nice place, but the management is very poor. I know other people that have time shares there and they are very dissappointed that they aren't keeping the place up like they should. I was considering purchasing a time share from RCI at the Sapphire, but once I saw what little interest they had in pleasing their guests, I changed my mind and will look elsewhere. Other than the problems with the facility, St. Maarten itself is a wonderful place to visit.

Posted by: anon (---.dsl.ksc2mo.swbell.net)
Date: October 09, 2005 11:07PM

I don't think that RCI sells timeshares directly (but through their Century 21 didision) and I think that you could use a towel two days in a row and sleep in an unkempt bed two days in a row.

Posted by: sueogal (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2006 09:32AM

go to Ebay and buy a cheap 2 bedroom red week with a low maint fee and trade to sxm. Make sure the timeshare is at least international distinctionand you can stay anywhere on the island. Thats what I do Good luck

Posted by: Jeff Berger (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: June 29, 2006 10:15AM

SXMaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We go for 2 wks in Dec (wk 49/50) for 12+ yrs and
> have never had any problems that some have
> reported on some of the sites. Granted it is not
> the best but it is far from the worst. There is a
> new manager who is trying to get it back on track
> but as long as Philippe has control it'll be an
> uphill battle.

Barbara, who is the new manager? The little guy with curly hair who has been there the last few years seems to laugh at problems. If he is gone, that could be a BIG plus. He was counterproductive to getting anything done.

Posted by: hobs (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 29, 2006 06:32PM

Most of the bad press regarding Sapphire has been generated by an individual with some kind of ax to grind. I have stayed twice and never had a problem.

Posted by: Maxie (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 02, 2006 07:07AM

We have owned there 11 years. Granted the unit could use sprucing up, but whenever we have complained about something missing in the unit or broken, they fix it very quickly. Last year, they put a new kitchen faucet in when I complained it was dripping. They even had to take the dishwasher out to do it and I never heard a complaint from maintenance. I just wish they would redue the drapes and lampshades and I would be much happier.

Maxie

Posted by: JJC (---.vkarrigoni.org)
Date: July 07, 2006 03:54PM

We stayed at the Sapphire from June 18-25th. Our room was nice, a bit of a musty smell when we first arrived but once the AC was turned up it was better. The pool area and restaurant were both good in my opinion. I am not sure where the complaints are coming from unless it was because we stayed in tower 3 which is the newest tower. One complaint is the exercise room, that really needed updating and new machines.

I spoke with someone in management and they informed me renovations are under way starting with the first tower. They will be repainting the buildings, getting new furniture or reburbishing furniture, updating appliances, etc starting this fall. Hopefully its true, because even though our unit was nice it still could use a touch up here and there. That said, I would have no problems returning there.

Posted by: Cupecoy94 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2006 08:13AM

Thats true! That little curly hiared Frenchman is worthless. Same thing happened to us.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |