- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anguilla or not?
Posted by: Linda (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 07:03PM

Will be in sxm for 11 days. Should we take the ferry to Anguilla for the day? What would we do when we got there? Any great beaches not to miss? Also, heard the catamaran from sxm to other islands really makes you sea sick. What about from sxm to anguilla? Are the seas as rough that way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anguilla or not?
Posted by: pat (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 07:14PM

If I had eleven days on SXM, I would definitely take one day and make the trip to Anguilla. The easiest option is to take the water taxi from Marigot into Blowing Point, Anguilla (don't forget your passports) and then hire a taxi to take you to Shoal Bay. This is a gorgeous beach where you can snorkel and sunbathe as well as have lunch. If you're a rib person, Uncle Ernie's used to have really good BBQ ribs. Make arrangements with your driver to pick you up for the return ferry of your choosing - don't worry, he'll be there.
In all the times we've gone, we've never had the rough waters between SXM and Anguilla. I think this pertains only to St. Barth's and even then, only to the trip over. The ride back has always been quite lovely.

Posted by: sam (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2002 08:16PM

Agree with pat....do it and this is the best way....done it many times this way

Posted by: stckr (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: March 08, 2002 09:31PM

Linda, we have never taken the ferry to Anguilla, but with all the people on this and other boards suggesting it; we do plan to try the trip by ferry. We have however gone on "Bluebeard". The trip was absolutely delightful. The seas were not rough at all. Shoal Bay is gorgeous! Enjoy whichever way you choose to go.

Posted by: Mark (---.158.63.28.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 07:59AM

Linda,

My wife and I went to Anguilla for 8 days, and by far it is the best island. above posts are correct (Shoal Beach). It might be worth it to rent a car, if you are not all day beach people, or if you love culture. Many things to see: Bankie Banx (The Dunes Preserve), Luxary Hotels (Cap Juluca, Sonesta, Cuisinart,etc). If you do rent a car, driving is on the left, but I found driving very easy (not a lot of traffic), the place for lunch in my opinion is Johonno's in Sandy Ground. It is often visited by Tom Cruise. If you want more info email me I would be happy to give you my phone number if you want to discuss anything. My wife and I are going to SXM in June and plan on going to Anguilla for the day.

mark@chirgwin.net

Posted by: Vince/Fran (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: March 11, 2002 08:39AM

The trip to Anguilla by ferry sounds terrific...how long does it take and what is the cost?

Fran/Vince

Posted by: Maranjo (198.23.26.---)
Date: March 11, 2002 11:40AM

I agree with Pat 100%. Make sure that you specifically tell the Taxi driver to drop you at Uncle Ernie's. The ribs are still great and so is the fish. You will also find Pressure King there to rent a chair/take a boat ride. [www.news.ai]

Frankly, Anguilla is not necessarily a place where I would want to take an extended vacation. But, Shoals Bay for the day is to die for.

Posted by: Wendy (---.reebok.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 03:39PM

The ferry is $10 each way with a departure tax of $2 remember you are going to another country-- Passports are required! The ferry ride is about 25 minutes (they are all business and you get to enjoy more of the day on Anguilla). The taxi drivers are dispatched right at the terminal when you get out. You pay them on the return trip back to the ferry so they will always pick you up. I am guessing it's about 35-40 dollars for the day. Shoals Bay is the most beautiful beach and shouldn't be missed!

Posted by: Bruce (207.236.97.---)
Date: March 11, 2002 03:59PM

There are also packages available, such as that from Hideaway/LaVista; look for description part way down here [www.lavistaresort.com] . Also I'm sure there are packages from elsewhere as well. Cost is a little higher than a do-it-yourself trip, but often include drinks, meals, etc. Bring your passport.

Posted by: Paco (---.40.252.64.snet.net)
Date: March 14, 2002 06:40PM

If i'm not mistaken there are two Shoal Bays. Shoal Bay East and Shoal Bay West. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think Uncle Ernie's is located on Shoal Bay East. I just wanted to clear this up. If you go to Shoal Bay West and look for Uncle Ernie's you'll be out of luck. That said, Anguilla is a wonderful place to spend a day.

Paco

Posted by: sam (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2002 09:34PM

Shoal Bay East is correct. I think it is also referred to as "upper" Shoal Bay. Agree, Anguilla is a great place to spend a day..

Posted by: NYJanice (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 15, 2002 08:12AM

See my trip report for a description of our one day visit to Anguilla. We enjoyed it immensely.

[www.traveltalkonline.com]

Posted by: spike (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2002 09:18PM

Took a "cat" out of Captain Oliver's in December, to St. Barts and YES it was a BRUTAL ride. 25 passengers on board...20 fed the fish !!! fortunately, I'm a pilot and my wife travels a lot...as a result...we are numb to motion sickness. But...we were sick of watching others get sick...nuff said. On the other hand, it may have been a non-standard day...but the seas were easily 10-12 feet...some serious bobbing and weaving went on. And yes, the return trip was with the prevailing wind thru the same rough seas but the trip was much more tame travelling down wind. We will go again in December and will compare the 2 trips obviously. Getting to Barts was well worth the agony of watching and smelling our "shipmates" struggle for 45 minutes...it was a gorgeous and friendly island.

Posted by: JDE (---.wwwhr.com)
Date: March 18, 2002 02:51PM

Just returned from St. Martin and took the Bluebeard- a catamaran day trip. It was the best part of our trip! Seas were not rough at all, and the crew was great. Boat leaves from Simpson Bay-

Posted by: scott and ann (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: March 30, 2002 04:36PM

Another good day trip for food and snorkeling on Anguilla is to Crocus Bay. Roys for lunch (a pub style restaurant) Roy himself is great. Then take a boat to Little Bay for a day of fantastic snorkeling.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |