The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
island photography
Posted by: notcreative (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: February 22, 2010 07:22PM

hey guys,

i'm a 16 year old guy that lives on the island, I go to cia in cupecoy, and i've recently been hitting up best spots on the island and spending a day just capturing the beauty of it all.

i'm running out of places though.. and im asking if you sxm lovers could tell me your secret spots, places with amazing views not too many people know about. in return you get photos of your favorite spot, you can reminisce about sxm if you aren't around to see it in person.

i'll put up some shots i've taken recently in a bit.

cheers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: island photography
Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2010 07:55PM

Thisis a fantastic idea and a fantastic proposal!!!!.. thank you for posting... I myself is on the island since a couple of decades and find myself in the same situation as yours.. so i am not sure I will be able to help you... but here are some that you may or may not went already :

Falaise des Oiseaux on Terre basse
David's hole and Pointe du bluff
Duck Beach
the top of Dawn Beach estate ( up to the antena...)
The Baie de l'embouchure hill (coconut grove little hill)
The top of Les Jardins d'orient gated community

and if I think about more I will definitly post.
Let me know if you already shot those ones

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2010 08:15PM

greta idea. and good places you suggested Philippe
but where is duck beach? and where is Falaise des Oiseaux on Terre basse ??

another great spot for pictures is to drive up to Monte Vista on the hill in philipsburg and park on the side of the road. you look out over the whole harbour, the cruise ships, everything..great photo op.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: BIGDENX (---.226.103.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2010 11:27PM

Hey creative!

If you're around MAHO early in the morning or early in the afternoon you will find a group of aviation photographers at either Sunset Bar and Grill or Driftwood Bar.

Don't be afraid to introduce yourself and let them know you may wish to try some plane shots. Most of these men and women are from all over the world and come to MAHO to get these shots. A great chance to learn the hobby from some of the best if you're interested.

Starting this weekend there will be guys from Europe and a group from the States.

If you see an old guy with a NIKON outfit and a Heineken or NIKON ball cap say hello. I'll be hanging out for a couple of weeks starting Friday.

Denis

Date: February 23, 2010 07:08AM

Denis, I wish I would have time to join the group!... I bought a nice camera a couple of years ago just to take nice plane shot, and I never had time to do any!... ironic!
Barbara, Duck Beach is between Anse Marcel and Gd Case... only accessible by foot over a steep hill,or also by foot along the rocky cliff/shore... Called Duck beach because few feet behind the beach there is a small natural pond and the duck love it..there are plenty of them there. Din't went there in years though.
Falaise es Oiseaux is between Baie Rouge and Plum Bay... of course most of it is occupied by luxurious private properties, but not so long ago (and I want to beleive still..) there were some pieces of empty land accessible via small driveway...then once at the edge of the cliff the views are magnificents

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.7.---)
Date: February 24, 2010 10:12AM

"The Baie de l'embouchure hill (coconut grove little hill) "

I think my most favorite spot on the island - so far!

Date: February 24, 2010 10:14AM

ok Elaine
where is that?

Posted by: Elaine (190.102.7.---)
Date: February 24, 2010 11:14AM

You're kidding Barbara???????

Between Capt Olivers and Orleans. Next to Baie Lucas.

I can't believe I'm giving YOU directions!

Date: February 24, 2010 12:07PM

I have no idea what the name of these places are..that's the problem. I know where you mean now though.
thanks! eye popping smiley

Date: February 24, 2010 12:25PM

this is where I am jogging every morning! it is wonderfull !!! Modern name is "Le Galion"... on this aerial picture you can see the little mount on the middle of the lenght of the beach... after running, I usually climb it to the top, and sit up there for a little bit of mediattion and stress control... It's my only moment of "freedom" for the day smoking smiley

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: February 24, 2010 10:06PM

I think I am confused. Driving from Oyster Pond to Orleans there is an observation deck built. Is it to the left of that if you are standing looking at the sea? If so, are the mangrove trees still there?

As far as photo's, I think some of the historic houses/cottages. It is an art and beauty that should not be lost.

Date: February 25, 2010 06:37AM

Well... the observation deck is "history" since yesterday morning.... the staff of the Natural reserve took it down since no structure is allowed on the reserve teritory (in theory...). But "yes".. Galion AKA Coconut Grove wa to the left of it... on the pic i posted here above you can see on the top left "oyster pond", then just bello is Bay Lucas ending up with the Mounty point where was located the observation tower, and thn the long beach taking most of the ic is Coconut Grove... the mangrove still exist and are intact.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: jimandi (---.pbtcomm.net)
Date: February 25, 2010 08:35AM

Thank you. Happy the deck is gone and trees intact.

Date: February 25, 2010 08:55AM

so where exactly do you jog, philippe?

Date: February 25, 2010 09:10AM

all along this beautiful long strip of white sand you can see in the picture, renamed Le Galion Beach while the real name is coconut grove or Baie de l'embouchure in French.

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |