The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Telnet or Caribserve ?
Posted by: ymorin007 (---.39-56-74.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: August 22, 2008 11:29AM

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to St Maarten soon and I'm looking for the most reliable of the High Speed Internet Service Provider.

one advantage that Telnet offers for me is the possibility to upgrade from the 1MB Bandwidth package to the 8MB package and this is interesting since I'm always doing remote connection to other PC and Bandwidth can become a factor.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Yannick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Telnet or Caribserve ?
Posted by: irina (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 11:47AM

Yannick
I thought I answered this already. Go with CaribServe. The owner Roy Richardson will appreciate having you as a customer. I am sure they offer the same if not better products than TelNet.
TelNet is quasi govt business and does not have good customer service at all.
Cheers
irina

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.49.78.208.dyn-ip.domaccess.com)
Date: August 22, 2008 12:15PM

definitly go with caribserve!!! the best customer service on the island, however Roy is not the owner anymore (even though he is still the managing director with his former French partner) they sold a couple of month ago to UTS, but the service still the top!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 22, 2008 12:29PM

Thanks Irina and Philippe,

My only concern is that Caribserve only offer the 1MB Bandwith Package option and this can be a problem for us.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2008 12:31PM

I have telnet and it works very well although I agree that caribserve is the best on the island.
The problem with telnet is that when you have a problem their custoemr service is very bad.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 12:36PM

Anyone have any experience with Scarlet?

[www.scarlet.an]

Bill needs high speed.

Date: August 22, 2008 01:04PM

wow, never heard of them Elaine!

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 01:48PM

Telnet offers business grade services. Caribserve does not.

If you do have a phone line, ADSL from Telnet is more reliable and can be a lot faster (depending on the package you choose). Wireless Broadband, either from IDL, Caribserve (I believe now UTS), or Telnet is about the same quality.

Also, Telnet offers the option of a fixed ip address, this is useful if you want to set up a server that is "always on" i.e. for VPN services or a VOIP exchange.

My only peeve right now is that Telnet has started blocking outbound connections to SMTP email (port 25) - this means that if you have an email address like me@mycompany.com - you can not send emails through the "mycompany.com" host. That's unfortunate because the telnet ip address for sending email is blacklisted a lot because of spam...

DineSXM - St. Maarten / St. Martin restaurant guide & online reservations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 01:52PM by Norbert.

Date: August 22, 2008 01:55PM

B -

My neighbor just signed up with them. I think it may be new to SXM.

Looks pretty pricy to me. Does it compare with the others? All we care about is high speed and reliability (yeah right)!

[www.scarlet.an]

We'll be bringing our US VOIP with us. If we can ever figure out the internet thing.

Date: August 22, 2008 02:35PM

Norbert
IDL is out of business.
and the whole thing with telnet address being blocked because of spam is a pain in the..
why can't that get regulated?
that's why I use hotmail all of the time instead of my telnet address.

Elaine, what VOIP do you have? I have a Vonage setup..works perfectly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 02:35PM by Barbara1.

Date: August 22, 2008 03:40PM

We switched to Vonage. Sharon Harris has been coaching us! We've even upgraded to unlocked, triband GSM phones. And I can actually say that and sort of know what it means. LOL!!!!!

Hope to get it all set up next month. Perhaps even TV..

Posted by: Tabba Khady (---.63-27.caribserve.net)
Date: August 22, 2008 04:45PM

Geeee ... Now Barbara after facebook you are talking about VOIP !....grinning smiley All right... I am backward and not very advance about thse issues... What is VOIP ?confused smiley I am reading your conversation between Elaine and you and I understand Sh*t LOL...Vonage? Triband GSM..? I am amazed it's like listening a conversation between Gate and Allen for me !... LOLeye popping smiley
Then now.. If you mention VOIP to your daughter what she will think of you ?>grinning smiley<

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Date: August 22, 2008 09:18PM

I don't know what my daughter will say to me, Philippe, if I mention VOIP but she calls me on it all the time sos he ought to love it LOL
VOIP is voice over internet protocol and it is how internet phones work. I use vonage . I have a router that hooks up to my wireless and I have a phone conencted to it.
I have a USA number and my daughter can call me at no charge.
I can call the USA for $20 a month for 500 minutes. If I wnated worldwide I think it is $35.00 a month or something like that with unlimited minutes.
Skype is another one that is an instant chat and a VOIP phone for the computer.
now a triband GSM Elaine will have to translate for you. smiling smiley
I am not sure of that one myself.

Elaine how much is scarlet? My girlfriend said it was $39.95 a month. if so, that is way cheap.

Date: August 22, 2008 10:15PM

The product I use is call MajicJack, you just plug your phone line into majicJack and then plug it via USB to your PC. Really good sound quality if you have hight speed.

unlimited calls to USA and Canada only.

Each magicJack costs $39.95 plus shipping and handling. This gives you one year of calling to the USA and Canada.

You can purchase an additional year's service for $19.95

[www.magicjack.com]

you can't beat that.

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: August 23, 2008 06:07PM

Ah, didn't know about IDL...

Right after touting the virtues of Telnet, I found that their mail server had stopped working altogether. I had to scramble and make alternate arrangements with our hosting provider in the US to work around this inexcusable bs...

Conclusion: don't expect "business grade" service from any of the providers. If you require high availability, your best bet is to have a backup provider in place. Preferably one that utilizes another means off the island than your main ISP (fiber to Guadeloupe vs fiber to PR, or satellite).

About VOIP: we use Voipbuster to make free calls to Europe (landline) and US (mobile + land). There's a "reasonable use" limit and it's contingent upon having a balance in the account. A SIP device (similar to a Vonage box) hangs on our local network, and connects a bunch of phones across the office... Seems they're working on inbound numbers that allow you to receive calls from old fashioned phones. For calls to SXM they charge 6 eurocent a minute to landlines and 18 ct to mobile. smiling smiley

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |