The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Traveling with dogs
Posted by: Island lover (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 25, 2008 03:50PM

Of the last 15 years we have been visiting the islands we have always left our pets at home (left to wondering what the heck happened!) This year we will be on St.Martin for the first time and staying in a pet friendly villa overlooking Simpson Bay. I've read the rules for pet entrance and it appears all that is needed is a clean bill of health from our vet and of course current rabies shots. These are two little guys, a Westie and a Scottie. My question is has anyone else here traveled with their pets? If so what did you find to be the pros and cons? Also are the beaches on St.Martin doggy friendly? I'm guessing probably as the French are nuts about their dogs.

If anyone can help me out or direct me to a different board that might help I'd be so grateful.

I'm so looking forward to discovering a new island and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Traveling with dogs
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 25, 2008 05:06PM

I have never traveled with my pets but I will make a BIG recommendation. Make sure you give them their heartworm medication and flea and tick medication as well. Heartworm is prevalent on the island so taking this precaution is of the utmost importance.

Also, although I have dogs but have not yet traveled with them, the only worry I would have other than the above is being very careful when walking them as the stray dogs that roam that beach may take exception to yours. They may like them as well, but I am a worrywart and just want to mention this in passing.

Have a great time with them. Hopefully in the future, we will as well bring at least one of them with us since our place is pet friendly as well.

Have a great time.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2008 08:22PM

my daughter comes to visit us and brings her dog all the time with no problems
John is right..make sure they have heart worm protection.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: Gail (---.59-136.caribserve.net)
Date: October 26, 2008 11:43AM

I agree with John about giving the meds prior to arriving in St Maarten. Your dogs should be fine on the beach but try not to let them run around without you. In my experience, island dogs are afraid of other dogs but remember they can have a "pack" mentality too so just keep an eye on your guys. Another thing to be aware of is that there can be alot of chicken bones on the street as people just toss them when they're done eating the chicken.

Date: October 26, 2008 01:43PM

Oh thanks so much to all of you! The meds make complete sense but my goodness, I had completely forgotten about homeless dogs. Of course, just like wandering goats, cows the occasional donkey and as always the ubiquitous chickens there will be dogs! Thanks John for reminding me.

Our dogs are about as far removed from Michael Vicks as possible and their biggest argument is with squirrels in the yard. And yes, Gail, a lone dog is one thing but a pack is whole different story. They know the command to "leave it" but thanks for the heads up on the chicken bones lieing around.

I wouldn't let them run around loose on a crowded beach not only for their sake but I don't want them to be annoying by jumping on on some ones lounge as if they were connecting with old friends! (These are friendly dogs and assume everyone loves them as much as they do people.)

And thanks, Barbara for letting me know you daughter travels with her dog with ease.

Boy, you really know your dogs are part of the family when you begin to factor in the expense of including them on a Carib vacation! It's not like our kids aren't going to be with us either so they aren't serving as surrogates. We just love them so much.

Again thanks to all of you!
Kris

Date: October 26, 2008 02:46PM

I just remember that last year I was walking from the Royal Islander to a friends house in Beacon Hill and a HUGE dog kept jumping on me...I couldn';t really tell if it was friendly or actually trying to annoy me... for a time it was quite scary. Because I love dogs I didn't freak out and stayed calm but it did take a while for the dog to stop jumping on me and barking. I made it to SSBB and it finally stopped and left. This is where I would have been afraid if I had my little dog with me. You never know what a strange dog will do and should always be aware. They know no better.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: October 27, 2008 02:45PM

Wow, John! I too am a dog lover, any shape or size but I wouldn't be very happy with a dog in my own neighborhood acting so pesky and even less on an unfamiliar island. I think it's back to earth here on the idea of taking them with us. It's one thing to think how great it would be as they snooze at the end of the bed but quite another when thinking of what the reality could prove to be. At the end of the day considering the heart worm issue, the unpredictability of dogs left to fend for themselves and potential conflicts I think it's best to leave well enough alone and just have us all miss each other but meet up again with everyone safe and sound. The whole reason I posted to this board was to help me make a good decision and everyone has done that for me. Thanks!

Plus, after your last entry I had this visual of walking them down the street holding on to their leashes in one hand carrying a bag with a baguette, some cheeses and bottle of red wine. I could see being mugged by a large dog (after the cheese and bread) only to drop the bag, wine bottle breaking with wine all over the place~including splashed on the dogs~ the dogs leashes all in a tangle managing to trip me and me skinning my knees. It's fine with me to skip out on that experience!

They'll be fine and much safer at home. I just wish I could tell them I'll be back!

Thanks again to everyone with helping me weigh the pros and cons.

Date: October 27, 2008 03:07PM

Hi Island Lover...I feel bad that I convinced you to leave your dogs behind but then I am also relieved that you will not have any unfortunate circumstances. As others have said, most island dogs are friendly as I have witnessed myself but all it takes is one unfamiliar dog to ruin a perfectly good vacation and make it a horror story. If you were walking your dog in an enclosed area of a resort (and picking up after) I would say go ahead... but unless you lived on the island and your dogs were familiar with the territory and familiar with the terrain and could take care of themselves, then this would be another story.

I used to love taking my babies to the beach in NJ and watching them dig in the sand but never once did I worry about stray dogs. This is an island issue and something many Americans don't consider when bringing their dogs. That and the heartworm issue.

So I assure you that although you will miss them for the short time you're away, just think of the welcome kisses you'll get when you get home.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: October 27, 2008 11:48PM

Oh for Pete's Sake! Please, please, please, do not for a moment feel any place close to bad that you have convinced me as to my decision! My goodness! The reason I posted was to seek the very answers you gave me! I appreciate them! I'd much rather honesty from a dog lover than a sugar coater who told me, "Oh just do it. No problems" only to have a disaster ensue! I thank you for your input. I was seeking honesty.

Hey for later, I see you are involved with Reiki. Can we private e-mail on that?
I'm brand new here so I don't know the drill. I'm very, very interested. This isn't the place to discuss it though.

Date: October 27, 2008 11:56PM

Whoops! Yes to the confines of a resort and ARRGGG to people who don't pick up after their dogs! That's one of my irks. I see it happen all the time and why? Some people don't like dogs and even if a dog person, they don't want to clean up after someone else's dog! Why should they or why should I? (short of cleaning up the place!)

Date: October 28, 2008 07:15AM

Hi Island Lover...Thanks for easing my mind about your decision.

I always enjoy discussing Reiki so you can always e-mail me at reikiofmaywood@verizon.net and I can answer any questions you have. In the meantime, you can go to my website and read about it as well.

[www.vrbo.com]

Date: October 28, 2008 01:17PM

Thank you! It's the right decision. They'll be fine for two weeks.

I've already been to your website and shall be writing to you shortly! Look for Island Girl in the subject line.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |