The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hey! Go Saturday or delay trip?
Posted by: BIGDENX (---.135.33.65.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2008 07:46PM

Hey!

Uncertain as to electricity and water on Dutch side, particularly at La Vista as of today Saturday the 19th.

Andrea said all was well on Thurs. but have things changed?

Lots of posts but local residents would know the situation best.

Choice of beaches will also be a problem with damage on the Dutch side.

Hope to hear from local residents or those "on Island"

Many thanks in advance.......

Denis

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hey! Go Saturday or delay trip?
Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 09:39PM

I would say go for it. The slight inconveniences you may experience may make this trip the most adventurous and most memorable. Also, you will be making a small difference but a difference none the less in the welfare of the country that depends on tourism. If you think of it that way, your small sacrifices will be helping others.

We went 2 weeks after Lenny and even though we had 2 full days of torrential rain, it was certainly the most memorable trip and one of the best ever. We went everywhere on the island and had no problems (after all the water drained out of Mullet road of course). We did not have TV (oh my GOD!!!) but we survived and had a fantastic time.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: LBI2SXM (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 10:50PM

Go for it!

Posted by: kim (---.hge.net)
Date: October 18, 2008 11:04PM

Ah - I think I would wait to hear from some "local" residents before I went down, to assess the situation.

Posted by: andrea (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 18, 2008 11:28PM

don't listen to kim. winking smiley Geez, if Hell on Earth Beacon Hill got power today I would imagine most other areas would be restored relatively soon. If you got power and h2o and your accommodations are ok, I say go. You will surely discover places you've never seen before, maybe do a good deed and help out some people in need after Omar, see the island at it's best in human nature after its worst of mother nature, enjoy some beach days, and take some very interesting and never seen before pictures. Those planes are still landing, buddy.

Go.

peace smiling smiley

Date: October 18, 2008 11:53PM

Hey Andrea!

Thanks for the reply...have not seen a post from Isand today and concerned about GEBE etc.

Den

Posted by: Tabba Khady (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2008 08:45AM

Regarding the beaches, I believe that once the ocean calm down (which should be very soon actually because yesterday it was already much much better) the beaches will be back to normal.
Regarding the electricity and water, in yesterday newspaper, the Dutch Side Governement as well as GEBE were saying that "normallity should be restored within two week", but GEBE management was also quoted saying that they "don't have any idea when the utilities will be fully restored and fonction in a continuous and stable maneer"...
I still can't beleive that after so many destructive storm, the Dutch Side Governement didn't made a priority to get a more modern and updated plan... Everytime it's the same s*#t, and while the French side is always fully operational within the few hours after the storm, it takes days or weeks to GEBE to provide utility service to the people... all right, I am venting again, but I have a though for my friend B. who being inconvenienced right now, like many dutch side residents!

Kind Regards,
Philippe

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 09:17AM

Isn't it just seaweed blocking the intake pipe. How long should it take to remove. Hopefully soon.

Posted by: GaKaye (195.46.229.---)
Date: October 19, 2008 09:52AM

Denis..just got an email from Andrea at LaVista stating that their power and Internet were restored on Saturday evening. Go, and have fun!!

Posted by: BobP (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 19, 2008 10:29AM

Philippe, Thanks for your updates and info the past few days.Hopefully all will be fine soon.Hope to run into you this Nov/Dec at your buffet. Bob

Posted by: Norbert (---.sintmaarten.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 02:31AM

Power's been up uninterrupted for the past 24 hours in Simpson Bay - I never thought I'd say this, but: Way to go GEBE! hot smiley

DineSXM - St. Maarten / St. Martin restaurant guide & online reservations.

Posted by: Elaine (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 07:12AM

Our friends in Cole Bay report they have had power and water consistently for over 24 ours as of last night!

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 08:01AM

Based on all the hurricanes that have passed through Florida, NOLA, and Texas...the power did not come on for weeks.

Soooo, after all this blasting about GeBe, they seemed to have come through VERY VERY well compared to the power companies in the States. I have seen longer and complete power outages from a moderate storm here in the NY/NJ area than what SXM just went through. You just have to gain patience and faith. People do what they can under trying circumstances and obviously in this case they did.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Date: October 20, 2008 08:22AM

Hey!

All good news and a concentrated effort to restore the utilities.

Off on Sat. a.m.

See y'all next week!

THANKS for your replies!

Denis

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2008 11:02AM

not only way to go GEBE but way to go Telem!
They were here bright and early.
I now have phone and internet and all my phone lines are underground now..never have to worry about downed lines again. YAY!
I am impressed with how quick this island is getting back to normal!

>grinning smiley<

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |