The Friendly Island Forum
- St.Maarten/St.Martin -

gobeach.com/sxm

| hotels | villas | specials | maps | restaurants | more... |

My new ring is missing a diamond
Posted by: Jennifer Kellerman (---.dsl.sgnwmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 04:47PM

Attn: Ray

Good Afternoon, I purchased a ring (blue diamond/White diamond) and one of the diamonds have fallen out, I have only had this one week, do I send it back for repairs or get it fixed here?

Let me know,

Thanks,

Jennifer from Michigan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My new ring is missing a diamond
Posted by: Elaine (---.p1.ragingwire.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 04:48PM

If you bought it from a reputable jeweler, contact them and they will arrange to have it fixed. Most have a service center in the States.

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 07:13PM

This brings up a question that I have had for quite a while now. I have never had to return a piece of jewelry because a stone fell out, yet I repeatedly see posts about people who have to repair jewelry they have bought on the island. Why is it that so many folks who buy from jewelers on St. Maarten lose stones? It seems to me that the jewelry is just not as high quality as what you buy elsewhere. I haven't bought anything there, so I can't speak from experience, but it seems like it's not such a bargain.

Posted by: Berne (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2008 07:25PM

A few years ago, I lost a stone from a ring I purchased from DK Gems. I contacted Deepti and she had me send it to a jeweler in New York. I had it back in less than 2 weeks with a new stone. I have never had any problems with any other jewelery that I purchased from DK Gems. I have a diamond and emerald ring that I lost stones out of and it was purchased from a reputable jeweler here in the United States! I guess it can happen no matter what country the jewelery was purchased in.

Posted by: John (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2008 07:58PM

Unfortunately the stone was just not set properly and this happened to me 1 week after my husband gave me a ring for Christmas that he bought at an extremely reputable jewelry store near our home in the US. It happens more than people realize. And if the jeweler is reputable, then they will replace the stone free of charge if the stone is completely lost within a reasonable amount of time or they should reset it for free if the stone falls out but isn't lost, for as long as the jeweler is in business.

I rarely wear rings anymore because I also lost the stone of my US purchased engagement ring (which he did have replaced at JN Jewelers in Maho for our anniversary) and boy was that long overdue because of the abuse I always put my hands through.

[www.vrbo.com]

Life is not a child's game of follow the Leader. Instead, life is more about finding one's own purpose in life....your life's plan, and then making a positive difference on earth.

Posted by: carolv (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 07, 2008 01:16PM

have lost stones out of jewelry I have bought in SXM but since I go back twice a year I just wait until a return to have it repaired-do not think it is the stores in SXM has I have had many stones fall out of things bought in New York also-sometimes you can hit it and not realize you have loosened a stone

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: August 07, 2008 01:36PM

I have lost stones out of rings from rings bought everywhere. sad smiley
I talk with my hands and I am always banging my rings against things without even realizing it.

[barcann.livejournal.com]

Posted by: GaKaye (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 08, 2008 03:36PM

I guess I've just been lucky!

Posted by: Shannon (---.jetblue.com)
Date: September 10, 2008 11:53AM

Speaking of which - we are looking to get my engagement ring in SXM. Any pointers anyone can give? Specifically any reputable jewelers, etc? I'm also concerned about the 'what if's'....like if I lose a diamond or it gets damaged smiling smiley

Thanks!

Posted by: .Bruce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 10, 2008 06:17PM

go see Deepti at DK Gems.... the best!!

Posted by: Barbara1 (Moderator)
Date: September 10, 2008 07:03PM

Posted by: pat (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2008 07:47PM

Shannon,

While many here will promote Deepti at DK Gems and not to take anything away from her or her family, let me suggest there are many other equally good jewelers on the island as you will see for yourself once you step foot on Front Street.

Personally, we've used Caribbean Gems and their family of fine stores ever since they first opened their doors on St. Maarten about 25-26 years ago and we've never been disappointed. And since we're on our third generation of CG shoppers and we make purchases there at least once or twice a year, that's saying something.

The biggest secret to diamond shopping anywhere is being an informed shopper. Make a point of educating yourself as best you can before you go as to what you want to buy and characteristics to look for (or avoid) and have an idea of the price you're willing to spend and then shop around when you hit the island for the best deal based on what you've learned and what you're offered.

Respectfully,

pat
smiling smileysmiling smiley

Posted by: kim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 10, 2008 08:32PM

I don't know if anyone has noticed - but the OP has been gone for over a month?? She addressed the note to RAY? so maybe she bought it from Ray's jewelry? Shouldn't she contact them?

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
My comment is constructive and friendly. 

To keep this a 'friendly' place: by participating
on this forum you grant us the right to remove
messages which in our opinion are inappropriate
or offensive without notice.
No ads please.

Spice up your posts with Phorum Code!

Did you know that if you login first that you can edit your own message
after you have posted it? Convenient for fixing those pesky spelling
mistakes. Another nice feature is that you can have replies to your
message send to you by e-mail. Also, as a 'trusted' user you don't have
to solve the math-problem. No login name? You can register here.

Brought to you by the Caribbean Hurricane Network and GoBeach Vacations

GoBeach Vacations || www.gobeach.com
Your source for the best Caribbean vacation you've ever had!

| Caribbean Hurricane Network | Beaches | Restaurant Reviews | Island Map | Activities | Island History | Vacation Villas | Hotels\Guesthouses\Condos | Other Destinations | E-mail Us |